Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Guess the Lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Guess the Lens Reply with quote

Hi All,

Well, I'm finally feeling brave enough for my first-ever "guess the lens" post.

A few little clues: it's a manual-focus lens, naturally, used on a crop DSLR. Shot wide open - no surprise there. Pretty much a straight-from-the-camera JPEG; no PP, except for a modest contrast boost.

No cheating, please; if you follow the link, kindly refrain from sharing the answer.

Have fun!

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guessing by swirly bokeh with very prominent bright outlines: Trioplan 50mm?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I got similar results with an Alpex 28/2.8 ...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tair 11A?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wild guess...
Super Comat 1.9 25mm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had similar oof results with a mir 1...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

@arkku: You've got the focal length right, but not the lens.

@Joosep: Interesting thought; I've seen similar results from the Super-Comat (got to get me one of those, one of these days). But this isn't a cine lens.

Maybe this will serve as another hint. I posted this image because I was surprised by it; this isn't a lens I would ordinarily associate with this kind of swirling effect.

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CZ Tessar 50/2.8

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subfanatic wrote:
Guessing by the sharpness wide open, I'd say this can't be Trioplan or some Russian lens... Could be HFT Planar 50mm f/1.8, but these colors are much more Leica? Perhaps even Summicron-R 50mm, but I've never seen such wild bokeh from these two.

Wow...very impressive. My hat is off to you (well, it would be, if I were wearing a hat).

This is in fact the 50/2 Summicron-R (two-cam). Like you, I hadn't previously encountered bokeh like this from that lens.

Fascinating that it's capable of such results - if the background, lighting, etc. are all just right, at any rate. I wish I could say that the effect was 100% intentional, but that would be an exaggeration. I was happy about the lighting, and I thought the background might be interesting; but in candor, I wasn't expecting this sort of image.

Congratulations - and thanks to all for playing!

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also the M-series Summicron 50/2 gives the same restless bokeh with pronounced circles, tessarish look. 6 elements in 4 groups, stopped down one f-stop it looks more pleasing imho

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
Also the M-series Summicron 50/2 gives the same restless bokeh with pronounced circles, tessarish look. 6 elements in 4 groups, stopped down one f-stop it looks more pleasing imho

I am quite surprised. I always thought that Summicron is associated with smooth bokeh...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aleksanderpolo wrote:
I am quite surprised. I always thought that Summicron is associated with smooth bokeh...

Leica myth is hard to dispel. Not difficult to avoid with this lens, but very easy to create if you want it. Summicron-M 50/2 bokeh on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/leolebug/4195395061/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mr-one/4011275262/sizes/z/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/doistrakh/4280740432/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/desitinschild/2612346492/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/desitinschild/1502653102/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tigreos/4306365010/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep hearing how Russian lenses are not sharp wide open. I'd strongly disagree with this.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I keep hearing how Russian lenses are not sharp wide open. I'd strongly disagree with this.

Unfortunately, Russian lenses are difficult to be generalized about, in any direction, due to the huge copy variation factor that afflicts them.

Luckily, most Russian lenses are cheap enough that someone can easily buy and try a second one if his first one was of the unlucky kind. Smile That's what I did with the Jupiter-9 for instance. It took me three buys to get a perfect one. The good part is: the perfect one, it *really* is perfect.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

Unfortunately, Russian lenses are difficult to be generalized about, in any direction, due to the huge copy variation factor that afflicts them.

Luckily, most Russian lenses are cheap enough that someone can easily buy and try a second one if his first one was of the unlucky kind. Smile That's what I did with the Jupiter-9 for instance. It took me three buys to get a perfect one. The good part is: the perfect one, it *really* is perfect.

Yes, what you say Orio is soooo very true.

I've yet to buy a Friday afternoon lens. This has been a mixture of luck and also buying from trusted sources. Yes there are some dogs around but probably a small percentage and that's all people seem to talk about.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

I've yet to buy a Friday afternoon lens. This has been a mixture of luck and also buying from trusted sources. Yes there are some dogs around but probably a small percentage and that's all people seem to talk about.

Some of the Russian lenses problems are also the DDR Carl Zeiss Jena problems: quality and availability of materials and of trained workmanship in the other side of the curtain.
So you get Flektogons with aperture problems, and you get MIRs with aperture problems. Sonnars with aperture problems and Jupiters with aperture problems.
And then you get the added problem that over the years, customers experiencing those problems have tried servicing the lenses themselves instead of committing to professional services. With the result that they got entagled in the complicated build of lenses like the Jupiter-9 or the Helios-40, and with their homemade servicing, they created more problems to the lenses than they actually fixed. This is the reason why buying a used Jupiter-9 or Helios-40 is like getting a ticket for the lottery.
Having that said, when you put your hands over a proper copy of a Russian lens, you have a great piece of glass. I saw with my eyes the Jupiter-3 of Alessandro outperform in sharpness one of my two Zeiss 1.5/50, of which the Jupiter was a copy...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I agree, it's sometimes frustrating when Russian lenses are dismissed, as a whole, because of QC issues and sample variation - especially when those very same problems afflict other lenses that seem to escape such broad-based criticism.

Being mindful of the fact that generalizations like the following are always suspect, I would say that my best Russian lenses are my earliest. Maybe it's pure coincidence, but for me, the red "P" and the focal length in cm always seem to be the hallmarks of a superb lens. My not-so-cosmetically-nice early Helios-44 (the version that stops down to f22) is a match for anything I've ever owned in that focal length range, from any manufacturer in any country.

Cheers,

Jon