Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Got bottles
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Got bottles Reply with quote

I bought 100 plastic bottles on Ebay
size of 15ml, 30ml, 50ml, 100ml - 25 bottles each size
Reason? best way to store opened chemicals is to fill small bottles up to the lid leaving no space for air.
Spent 38,75 pounds in total, I should be set for all my chemicals.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Se te ne avanza qualcuna fammi un fischio Smile

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to put glass marbles in the bottles to bring the chemical to the brim. A big bag was cheap at a toy store.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I used to put glass marbles in the bottles to bring the chemical to the brim. A big bag was cheap at a toy store.

yes, good old method. Very Happy
But these bottles are almost as cheap, and much more convenient. Wink

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just be sure to store them in the dark. Photo chemicals, as I'm sure you know, are sensitive to light.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
Just be sure to store them in the dark. Photo chemicals, as I'm sure you know, are sensitive to light.

They are in my darkroom Smile
Anyway I asked the producer. They told me this is not really true. Oxydation is the real enemy, especially for alcaline compounds such as developers are. Temperature is another factor but not as important as oxygen. Light isn't really a factor, and in fact most of the chemicals they sell are sold in opaline bottles just like the ones I bought.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

let me guess.. 30gbp for the shipping costs and the rest for bottles? Smile

congrats for buy, these small bottles are great for storage

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

berraneck wrote:
let me guess.. 30gbp for the shipping costs and the rest for bottles? Smile
congrats for buy, these small bottles are great for storage

No, it was an honest guy, 3,5 GBP for one postage, plus 1 GBP for each additional item
(bottles were sold in stock of 25, so it was 4 items in total)
Bottles prices varied from 8 something for the set of smallest to 16 something for the set of biggest.
But of course they can be reused indefinitely so the expense makes sense really, considering what they let you save in terms of chemicals cost.
The important thing is never to mix type of chemicals i.e. if you use a bottle for a developer, next time you use it again for a developer and never anymore for a fixer.
The Ebay seller is called Riversea_Plastics if you are interested.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well that is a fair price

thanks for info about seller. I am not interested in buying more bottles, as I have plenty of these from times when I had acces to chemical laboratory.. those will last very long:)

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just store mine in plastic soda bottles and squeeze them a little to get the air out. All my bottles are stored in a cardboard box.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a chemistry nerd and I also bought those bottles from Ebay for (not-photography-related-)chemicals some years ago.

But now I'm using bottles from a local laboratory equipments/chemical supplier. They are generally a lot(! They are nearly as cheap as the bottle deposit for plastic coke bottles Wink) cheaper than the bottles you can find on Ebay and have a much better quality, and you can choose from a wieder variety of different types of bottles (my store has also cheap lightproof bottles etc.)...
Especially if you're living in/near a city with a university, laboratories etc. you should look if you can find such a supplier near your place.