Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fungus & haze on Yashica ML 50mm 1:2...cleanable???
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Fungus & haze on Yashica ML 50mm 1:2...cleanable??? Reply with quote

Hi all! I have a Yashica ML 50mm 1:2 that I use with my father's Yashica FX-3. Recently, I went to a local, reputable camera repairman to get the FX3 fixed up cosmetically and also for a CLA. I also told the guy to try to and clean the lens, which has a tiny bit of fungus on the edge of the inside of the front element (i might be wrong), and also it has some sort of haze or fogginess which is really visible when I look the viewfinder of the camera. The repairman told me that he can't guarantee the fungus & haze can be cleaned 100%, but he said he'd try..

Well, a few days ago, I went to pick up the camera & lens, and it seems that the haze & fungus is still there. I asked the guy about it and he said he's already tried to clean the haze/fogginess but somehow it's still there, while as for the fungus, he can't seem to get to it as it was on a 'difficult' to reach part of the lens...the haze was like it was before and the fungus is also there..albeit it's not getting any bigger. But, I'm a bit disappointed. Of course, I can get another similar lens on eBay, they don't cost much...but this particular lens has sentimental value to me.

Is the Yashica 50mm ML 1:2 even cleanable? Is there any part of the lens which can't be reached/disassembled? What causes haze/fogginess and how can it be cleaned?

I'd appreciate any feedback..thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Fungus & haze on Yashica ML 50mm 1:2...cleanable??? Reply with quote

daniirwan wrote:

Is the Yashica 50mm ML 1:2 even cleanable?

It sure is.
My suggestion is that you change repair service.
If they are unable to clean a standard, modern 50mm lens, I doubt that they can do any professional level servicing on any camera or lens.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello daniirwan,

As Orio said, it surely can be done. If you are on the DIY side, just browse to my blog http://k10dpentax.blogspot.com/, then select the Repair link in the Categories menu on the right, to get an idea on how to clean a lens from fungus ...

Otherwise, find another repairman ...

But, in both cases, keep in mind that fungus molds are a bit acid, so they attack the lenses coating if they last too much on the lenses ...

Hope this helps

Best regards and best wishes for your lens.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all lenses are cleanable and not all type of fungus and haze disappear without trace. Some lens has glued elements (many Japenese ones) and if fungus inside between glued tags you can't clean it ,this is true surely for haze. Many times even if you use strongest material spots are still there.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've cleaned or attempted to clean numerous lenses of fungus(probably 40+), and probably around 8-10 of haze.

I'd say I've managed to clean about 80% of lenses with fungus. If the fungus is thin trendrils, then it is almost always successful. If there is one concentrated spot, with some tendrils coming from that, then the trendrils will usually clean off, but not the spot. I'd say the concentration of enzymes produced by the fungus spot is too strong to stop damage to the coatings or even the lens surface.
You can sometimes see if the coatings are damaged without even opening the lens. Hold the lens with large round light behind your head(e.g. ceiling light). Look at the reflections off the lens elements. Sometimes, the coating will be a slightly different color just near the fungus, and this is a sign that the coatings are damaged. Sometimes, with very light damage, it won't affect your lens too performance much.

As for haze, I've found that I've had about a 30-40% success rate with haze. Some haze seems to be impossible to remove with normal means.(I'm not talking about cemented elements!!) The worst I've seen seems to be the rear elements on Sigma 70-300mm lenses. I've even tried aluminum-oxide metal polish (!!) to try to remove it, but it doesn't budge!!!!!! Other difficult lenses have been Tokina 35-200mm, and Konica Hexanon 80-200mm.

Some lenses are impossible(from a practical point of view) to get into, to clean them. This is because they are glued to the mount rather than screwed in with rings. These problematic lenses include some Minolta AF lenses (e.g. Minolta 28-80mm xi, 24-85mm xi, etc), some of the Tamron 28-200mm (and a few other Tamrons). There would be others, but I'm not familiar with your Yashica.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indianadinos wrote:
Hello daniirwan,

As Orio said, it surely can be done. If you are on the DIY side, just browse to my blog http://k10dpentax.blogspot.com/, then select the Repair link in the Categories menu on the right, to get an idea on how to clean a lens from fungus ...

Otherwise, find another repairman ...

But, in both cases, keep in mind that fungus molds are a bit acid, so they attack the lenses coating if they last too much on the lenses ...

Hope this helps

Best regards and best wishes for your lens.

Thanks so much for the kind words & advice! That's a very good page u got going there! However, I'm not good with my hands, so I guess the DIY option is out =) I think I'll go and bring the lens to another repairman I know to get a second opinion. The repair guy that I went to is very reputable though, he even repairs Hasselblads, Mamiyas and Leicas! So he kinda surprised me when he couldn't clean my el-cheapo Yashica lens!

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Not all lenses are cleanable and not all type of fungus and haze disappear without trace. Some lens has glued elements (many Japenese ones) and if fungus inside between glued tags you can't clean it ,this is true surely for haze. Many times even if you use strongest material spots are still there.

Thanks Attila! I wonder if this lens is one of the glued Japanese lenses that u mentioned, which are uncleanable I assume? Have you, or anyone else, tried cleaning this particular lens? I'm eager to get feedback regarding cleaning this lens..

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dnas wrote:
I've cleaned or attempted to clean numerous lenses of fungus(probably 40+), and probably around 8-10 of haze.

I'd say I've managed to clean about 80% of lenses with fungus. If the fungus is thin trendrils, then it is almost always successful. If there is one concentrated spot, with some tendrils coming from that, then the trendrils will usually clean off, but not the spot. I'd say the concentration of enzymes produced by the fungus spot is too strong to stop damage to the coatings or even the lens surface.
You can sometimes see if the coatings are damaged without even opening the lens. Hold the lens with large round light behind your head(e.g. ceiling light). Look at the reflections off the lens elements. Sometimes, the coating will be a slightly different color just near the fungus, and this is a sign that the coatings are damaged. Sometimes, with very light damage, it won't affect your lens too performance much.

As for haze, I've found that I've had about a 30-40% success rate with haze. Some haze seems to be impossible to remove with normal means.(I'm not talking about cemented elements!!) The worst I've seen seems to be the rear elements on Sigma 70-300mm lenses. I've even tried aluminum-oxide metal polish (!!) to try to remove it, but it doesn't budge!!!!!! Other difficult lenses have been Tokina 35-200mm, and Konica Hexanon 80-200mm.

Some lenses are impossible(from a practical point of view) to get into, to clean them. This is because they are glued to the mount rather than screwed in with rings. These problematic lenses include some Minolta AF lenses (e.g. Minolta 28-80mm xi, 24-85mm xi, etc), some of the Tamron 28-200mm (and a few other Tamrons). There would be others, but I'm not familiar with your Yashica.

Thank you so much dnas! That was some very helpful advice. =)

Hmmm, from your post, I assume that the success rate of cleaning haze is much lower...that worries me. Now again, I wonder...if the Yashica ML 50/2 is one of the 'impossible' lenses?

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open it up and have a look. I find that the thicker the haze, the less likely it is to be cleanable. If your haze is quite light, then you may be able to clean it.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks dnas!