Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Free "zeissifiers" actions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Free "zeissifiers" actions Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:

Obviously it's a different thing because it's not the same thing (dah), but in my opinion the purpose can be very the same. At least I use both for the same kind of “look”; neither is better than the other, just a different set of parameters to adjust contrast with.

doubling layer enhances the global contrast. The result is very different and you can easily compare: doubling layer kills all shadow parts (because it enhances the global contrast). Microcontrast preserves them.
The same happens with highlights although this is usually less easy to see because in a typical images the highlight parts are much less present and smaller than the shadow parts.

Original image:

Double layer set to "soft light":

Zeissifier action 5 (strong), micro-contrast:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Free "zeissifiers" actions Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
The result is very different and you can easily compare: doubling layer kills all shadow parts (because it enhances the global contrast).

Yes, the result is different (no sense in doing it if it was the same). As for killing the shadows, depends on how you apply it—the effect is controlled with opacity and levels (like I said above). It makes no sense to just duplicate and leave it at the default setting, just as you wouldn't use unsharp mask with default settings to do the “zeissification”.

In any case, this is not the same as a trivial global contrast enhancement; the strength of the effect at each position depends on what's overlaid above it, and this can be controlled quite selectively, e.g. shadows can be completely removed from the overlay and the effect may even lower shadow contrast while boosting highlights. It's just one tool among others, and it has many uses…

Orio wrote:

Zeissifier action 5 (strong), micro-contrast:

Duplicated image in overlay mode at 43%, levels of overlay adjusted

(Used your original as the starting point, tweaked less than one minute to approximately match the effect on shadows.)

And again, I'm not saying this is better in any way. Just different, e.g. the highlights in the film packages is completely different. Zeissification seems to blow the bright colours, while the overlay washes out some of the greys. In the black film canisters the shadows are actually less clipped in places with the overlay, but the wood grain of the table is better served with the microcontrast enhancement. If I was actually editing this shot for “real” use I'd probably mix both effects to a much smaller extent. Neither is inherently better or worse, just different tools that can (among other things) be used for selective control of contrast…