Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

For sale: Zeiss Distagon CFi 4/50
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: For sale: Zeiss Distagon CFi 4/50 Reply with quote

I'm selling on behalf of a photographer friend this superb lens, never used, in box: Zeiss Distagon CFi 4/50.

He is asking 2500e plus shipping, insurance and paypal fee.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no doubt it's a beautiful lens (I have one), but €2.5K is well over twice the going value for this lens, box or not.

If I had to let mine go tomorrow - with warranty certificate, lens bag, box and lens hood - I'd ask no more than €1100.00.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but there's a strain of distinct over-valuation of kit at the moment.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd really appreciate pointing out the over pricing, i'll let him know right away.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

piticu wrote:
I'd really appreciate pointing out the over pricing, i'll let him know right away.

No problem - I was just being objective about the asking price.

Until last August I worked for the Hasselblad distributor here in Ireland - we were having problems selling them at their retail price back then. They only started to move when we reduced the cost considerably, and suddenly everybody wanted one!!! That's when I picked mine up - but again, I wouldn't consider paying anything more than €1100.00 for one if I needed one today.

Of course, putting it on the 'Bay might fetch him close to his asking price - it's a place of magical happenings!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like B&H sells this lens over the recommened price, at 4023$ plus shipping. So, for the same lens the buyer will pay 500$ less, only because the box is open. A quick search on ebay revealed the lowest price of 800 pounds but the lens was hardly usable.
Do you think that maybe things changed since last August?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

piticu wrote:
Do you think that maybe things changed since last August?

No idea to be honest - but I did call my old boss and he offered me one for €1250.00 (inclusive of VAT). So yes, a little more than I'd be prepared to pay if I wanted one, but still close to the originally quoted figure.

Unopened box too - he's got two of them, but will only sell to existing clients.

The idiot - seems like he could make more online Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am curious about this lens. It seems "slow" at f:4, although I know full well the widest opening does not speak for the whole lens.

Is it peaked at f:4 because of construction? Just wondering.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
I am curious about this lens. It seems "slow" at f:4, although I know full well the widest opening does not speak for the whole lens.

It's one of several Distagons designed for the Hassie 'V' System cameras.

It's a 9 element, T* coated design and is marketed as a moderate wide-angle lens.

I've tried to access the Distributor site but my login has expired as I haven't used it in ages, so unfortunately I cannot get any more information at this stage.

Mine is with a buddy who's just bought a digi-back and has rediscovered his love/lust for all things Hasselblad, but I'll do some shooting with it when it's back and post the results.

Interestingly, Hasselblad have a Recommended Retail Price of €2980.00 for the CFi at the moment - I can only imagine what the distributors are buying them at if they can quote me €1250.00...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:

My Zeiss book sheds some light on the subject.
The early Zeiss lenses for Hasselblad were a bunch of "pioneer" lenses released in the second half of the 50s.
Amongst them there was a Distagon 5.6/50.
In the early 60s, a new model Distagon 4/50 was derived from the slower predecessor's design.
This model was also created with Rollei mount for the Rollei MF cameras.
Then in the 70s a newer Distagon 2.8/50 was created, but the old 4/50 remained in the production line, obviously with the purpose to offer an affordable (if this word has any meaning for an Hasselblad line...) alternative to the 2.8/50.