Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Food Photography: Lighting
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Food Photography: Lighting Reply with quote

Today I posted on my blog a deep examination of the following shot I made for my blog, writing about how lightning has been made and why:

If someone is interested in having a glimpse the link is: http://foodografia.blogspot.com/2009/05/fotografia-di-food-illuminazione-food.html

Last edited by A G Photography on Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks ! I wish to write a cook book Wink Excellent images !

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou Alessandro, I am always impressed with your photography, thanks for sharing your lighting techniques. I guess it really is very simple once you know how!

I think I will experiment with this technique at the weekend Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to both of you. I just hope my english be understandable.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Alessandro, very interesting tip [but opens the appetite - not good for me Cool ]

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good photo!

Another advantage: this is a vampyre-safe thread : Wink

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alessandro,

I have very much enjoyed your blog and articles about food photography. Thanks very much!

Jules

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wonderful example and a delicious shot, Alessandro!

The thing I note also is how large the light source is - that's surely part of the magic. I rarely if ever use the reflector to open shadows thing, which I really ought to do more often. My daughter of couse knows all about that stuff...

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:

The thing I note also is how large the light source is - that's surely part of the magic.

The larger and nearer the light source the softer the lightning.

The smaller and more distant the light source the harsher the lightning.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely Gorgeous Alessandro!

Gracie a Mile! (Forgive my bad Italian!)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great image and blog...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice example, Alessandro. Food lighting is far more difficult than most people think. There are also many ways of doing it (which is one of the problems as there are far more ways of messing it up than getting it right).

If I can add to your thread, here is a sample from a two-light set-up. It was shot in a white room with a high ceiling, allowing me to shoot a flash at the ceiling directly above the set-up to get an even, overall light. Then I added a large umbrella-flash light source from back-left (about 10 O'clock and half a metre above the table) and a silver reflector at 3 o'clock, at the same level as the food to open up the shadows.

I've no idea if this is considered a "correct" approach, but it seemed to work for me.

That is straight out of the camera, with only a very minor contrast adjustment (shot on a Canon 5d II, using a micro-Nikkor 55/3.5 set at f8 or f11, and a couple of cheap "hair lights" with a fixed flash output - guide number 80 or 100, I can't remember as the digital review does away with the need to calculate flash).

If people want to try food photography, it's probably worth mentioning that very small changes to the position of lights and reflectors can have a major impact on how pleasing an image looks, so try shifting the lights about. Even Alessandro's single backlight would produce different results depending on the height and size of the light and the size and distance of the reflector.

Some purists claim that the ONLY professional way to shoot food is with natural light, and that flash always produces greasy-looking hightlights... so using daylight and white reflectors is another possibility if you don't have flash. Food doesn't run away, so long exposures are not a problem.