Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Flektogon 35mm f2.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Flektogon 35mm f2.4 Reply with quote

I finally got round to using the 35mm f2.4 Flektogon I bought a few months ago from a local charity shop.

It seems okay . . .

Pentax K10D, from a PEF file.

Actually, I'm teasing - it's very good indeed - as sharp and crisp as you could want. This flower petal was less than a foot (30cms) away and I was on my hands and knees in the wet grass, aperture around f8 to get some depth of field.

Another close up, this time on tripod, f8 again.

I don't know why, but both these pics seem to lack sharpness when posted on MFL. Maybe it's my borrowed monitor?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look sharp enough for me. This is one of the lenses that started this forum off!

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very sharp here too. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah it's not shar enough, it's razor sharp Razz

I love the images produced by the Flektogon, the only complaint that I have is the focusing ring, it's not smooth on all 3 copies that I have. Again, I might be spoiled by the Takumar's which are known to have buttery smooth and well dampened focus ring.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen thousands of Images from this lens, and every time it's just "wow".

Probably it's time to buy one.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The images behind after clicking look sharper to me. The Flek can give wonderful images when all goes well, especially close-up. Some report it isn't as good at infinity (which comes quickly), but if stopped down to f/8 it does very well - at least mine does. However, there are a couple problems that I have with mine; wide open landscape shot will show distortion in upper left corner, but will go away with stopping down. I have read that others have had this issue. But the most problematic for me is the focusing. I first thought it must be difficult, but am now wondering if there is something else at play. I get many out-of-focus pictures that I'm now thinking may be the result of stopping down after focusing. Could it be that the focus ring is somehow moving too? In the end, I do not have a good success ratio with this lens, but I do with two other lenses that I now prefer over the Flek: Viviter Close Focus 28/2.8 and Meyer Lydith 30/3.5. The latter has become my favorite of the three.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget the flower petal, I am looking at the grass and its color...it looks like I could pull it out through my monitor.The lens and the K10D go nicely together.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just looked again at the posted pics on my own computer and they seem fine - I was concerned yesterday that they weren't sharp enough when looking at them on somebody else's monitor.

Woodrim's problem is interesting. Judging by my limited experience there doesn't seem to be any focus-shift caused optically by stopping down. The foreground flower-rim in picture 2 is absolutely sharp on the original file, and the taking aperture was f8. What I DID find when using the lens hand-held was that I often tended to move my head, and therefore the lens-to-subject distance, when using the stop-down switch. Enough to cause problems in close ups, but not at longer distances. I'm no mechanic, but I don't think there's much chance of the stop-down mechanism physically affecting the focus point. Must be frustrating to get the problem . . .

Mo - the wonderfully green grass is as much a tribute to our rain/sunshine weather combo as to the lens and camera Very Happy

The Flektogon is indeed a nice lens. For me, though, it's one for close-ups only on the Pentax because I simply can't focus it reliably at distances over three feet. That's my eyesight problem, of course, not the lens. Next thing is to try it on the Lumix G1 with the focusing magnification facility.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just cut my eye on these stupid photos and you wil have to pay my hospital bill dude! Shocked

Seriously, very sharp. Some areas are out of focus but that is normal.