Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Flash lights: an overview
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:53 am    Post subject: Flash lights: an overview Reply with quote

Being lately pretty busy (yeah, the reason is that I decided to turn pro as a photographer) to post as often as before in this forum (but I've followed it anyway, at least when I had some free time) I'm a bit ashamed to post here a link to a post on my blog where I wrote an overview of the various kind of flash lights.

Even if the post is suited to the needs of food photography, still has a pretty generalist and simplified approach, so that anyone that doesn't know the basic of the the various types of flashes available in the market can find it interesting.

If you have more specific questions you can PM me here or leave a comment on the blog, I always answer even if in a couple of days usually.

The link to the post is http://en.foodografia.com/2009/12/food-photography-flash-light.html for the english version.

An italian version can be read here http://www.foodografia.com/2009/12/fotografia-di-food-luci-flash.html.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you !!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you also - and congratulations on being so busy with your business

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on going pro! Your photography is always very good so this does not surprise me.

In your flash overview, there seems to be a missing section after hotshoe flash and before monolight flashes, for off-camera flashes (hotshoe or PC connection, but off the camera). Since that is so popular nowadays (strobist) it seems that it could usefully be mentioned.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:
Congrats on going pro! Your photography is always very good so this does not surprise me.

In your flash overview, there seems to be a missing section after hotshoe flash and before monolight flashes, for off-camera flashes (hotshoe or PC connection, but off the camera). Since that is so popular nowadays (strobist) it seems that it could usefully be mentioned.

I mentioned this technique in the hotshoe section as it's not a different kind of equipment, just a different use.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally would like to learn more about strobe in the clear simple way that you describe things.
Sites like strobist are surely great but sometimes difficult to follow for the novice (at least for the non-English novice)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I personally would like to learn more about strobe in the clear simple way that you describe things.
Sites like strobist are surely great but sometimes difficult to follow for the novice (at least for the non-English novice)

I agree, strobist is very intimidating at start even if their Lighting 101 is a pretty good read actually.

For sure I'll write some more articles about using strobes (even if I prefer to use continuous light for food).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the basis of your work I thought you had been professional for years. I'm sure you will be a great success. Congratulations on your career choice (I wish I had taken that direction when I was your age).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Alessandro! I'm sure you follow your heart as it gets clearly visible in your excellent Food BLOG, so it will be successful!!

I have been using flash for my UV work, but that is highly specialized and needs modified high power flashes and very special filtering. So if you ever need sth in that direction, I'll be glad to help.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulC wrote:
On the basis of your work I thought you had been professional for years. I'm sure you will be a great success. Congratulations on your career choice (I wish I had taken that direction when I was your age).

I'm NOT that young, unfortunately Sad

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Congrats Alessandro! I'm sure you follow your heart as it gets clearly visible in your excellent Food BLOG, so it will be successful!!

I have been using flash for my UV work, but that is highly specialized and needs modified high power flashes and very special filtering. So if you ever need sth in that direction, I'll be glad to help.

There are two branches where I'm not really that experienced. The first is high speed photography, I still have to find something professional in the EU to trigger flashes consistently that doesn't cost a fortune.

The other ones is the use of led lights for jewelery still life.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A G Photography wrote:
PaulC wrote:

I'm NOT that young, unfortunately Sad

Young in the heart Wink