Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fisheye or ultrawide for C/Y?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Fisheye or ultrawide for C/Y? Reply with quote

I recently bought a Contax RTS II and already having a pretty nice setup of C/Y lenses, I lack a ultrawide or a fisheye for it.

The alternatives, as I know are the following, sorted by price:

Distagon 15/3.5
F-Distagon 16/2.8
Distagon 18/4 (too slow)
Yashica ML Fisheye 16/2.8
MC Zenitar Fisheye 16/2.8
Tamron SP 17/3.5 (as well as the Tokina 17/3.5)

The distagons are probably too expensive for me, the Yashica could be alright if I find one at a decent price... But is it better than the Zenitar?
I alredy have the Zenitar i EOS mount, so it would feel a bit stupid to buy another one in C/Y mount...

Mostly I would like to get a F-distagon at a reasonable price, or the Yashica fisheye... But it seems impossible to find.
F-distagon costs a fortune on the bay and the Yashica is hard to find and often overpriced...

Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's not really ultrawide, but I just got an Exakta branded Japanese 24mm in c/y mount, cost me just a few euros in great condition and I'm surprised how decent it is, certainly worth having for the money it costs. I also just got a Hoya HMC 2.8/28 in c/y that is also good, I paid 99p for it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, the lenses you listed are a far cry from ultra wide.

Is it possible to adapt a Samyang 14/2.8? I've just ordered one myself Smile I guess you'd need a Nikon version and a Nikon -> C/Y adapter. Not sure if one exists though...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I know it's not really ultrawide, but I just got an Exakta branded Japanese 24mm in c/y mount, cost me just a few euros in great condition and I'm surprised how decent it is, certainly worth having for the money it costs. I also just got a Hoya HMC 2.8/28 in c/y that is also good, I paid 99p for it.

Seems like a nice price, but I'm looking for something a bit wider...
But maybe I'll look for it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Ian, the lenses you listed are a far cry from ultra wide.

Is it possible to adapt a Samyang 14/2.8? I've just ordered one myself Smile I guess you'd need a Nikon version and a Nikon -> C/Y adapter. Not sure if one exists though...

That would be a nice solution! Smile
But I don't think it's possible, but since people replace the mount on some c/y lenses to use on Nikon, maybe it's possible to do it the other way around?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I was just pointing out a couple of good lenses in c/y mount I just happened to have acquired recently.

May I ask how much that Samyang cost?

Would it work on a APS-C size sensor?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Samyang is around £250 and works fine on APS-C. But it's designed for full frame (seriously wide), there is an 8mm version for APS-C Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've just ordered one myself
Graham, I'm jealous.
ManualFocus-G wrote:
there is an 8mm version for APS-C Wink
Is there a rectangular projection version of the 8mm? I always thought it's a fisheye with ~28mm projection diameter - slightly too big for a 35mm frame circular fisheye Sad

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad news:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/contax-yashica/discuss/72157625903974062/

Cistron, you are correct, the 8mm is a fish-eye. Boooooo!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yashica ML ficheye is slightly better than the Zenitar, but good luck finding one! The Zenitar, on the other hand, is a great bang for the buck; if you pick a good copy (QC problems are rare but still exist with this lens, as with most Russian glass), it's an extremely sharp lens, and highly recommended.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
The Yashica ML ficheye is slightly better than the Zenitar, but good luck finding one! The Zenitar, on the other hand, is a great bang for the buck; if you pick a good copy (QC problems are rare but still exist with this lens, as with most Russian glass), it's an extremely sharp lens, and highly recommended.

Thanks for the info.
As I already has the Zenitar for my Canon, I know it's capable of delivering some really good pictures.
That lens is very, very sharp stepped down.
It might have some boring colors and not the best flare resistance, but yes, great bang for the buck.
I hope the Yashica ML Fisheye to be a back for the buck as well, but $500+ is not reasonable price for that lens in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know the true used prices for Distagon 15/3.5 and F-distagon 16/2.8? Not the fantasy prices on ebay, there has to be cheaper lenses out there...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also buy a M42 to C/Y adapter for 10 or 15 Euros and then you have open the M42 world for your Contax.

I have this little adapter too for my RTSIII and it works without any probblem.

Wink

Last edited by Rolf on Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:53 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:
You can also buy a M42 to C/Y adapter for 10 or 15 Euros and then you have open the M42 world for your Contax.

I have this little adapter too for my RTSIII and it works without any probblem.

Wink

Well, I will do it...
But I'm still looking for the distagons or the Yashica fisheye if found at decent price.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigma also made a rectalinear 14mm in C/Y mount if memory serves me well. Probably the older f/3.5 version, maybe also the newer f/2.8.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:

Maybe not extremely sharp as you said but very decent quality. Very good for the price... but decent for it's quality

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisheye lenses are very, very special. The effect wears out fast and the only real other use is for sports photography such as shooting skateboarders etc.

I would always rather go for a real superwide and I say that although (or perhaps because) I own to fishies (Zenitar and Peleng).

The Tokina 3.5/17 II is an excellent lens as is the Tamron 3.5/17. And either lens comes in still quite affordable prices. So, if the new Samyang won't fit, I would go for one of those and try the 17mm first. Perhaps it's wide enough. A 14mm lens is extreme!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Fisheye lenses are very, very special. The effect wears out fast and the only real other use is for sports photography such as shooting skateboarders etc.

I would always rather go for a real superwide and I say that although (or perhaps because) I own to fishies (Zenitar and Peleng).

The Tokina 3.5/17 II is an excellent lens as is the Tamron 3.5/17. And either lens comes in still quite affordable prices. So, if the new Samyang won't fit, I would go for one of those and try the 17mm first. Perhaps it's wide enough. A 14mm lens is extreme!

Well, I do agree with you...
The original reaason that I wanted a fisheye for Contax was that I was thinking about shooting some skateboard, and maybe some other shots where fisheye can be motivated. But yes, it's fun to use but you get tired pretty quick on the effect.

But I feel that I'm lacking a ultrawide for my Contax now when I sold the 18/4 (never really agreed with it, too slow and couldn't use on Canon 5D due to mirror issues). The widest I have now is 28mm. 25mm isn't much wider really.
The Distagon 21/2.8 would be nice ofcourse, but the price is too high for me.

I could go for the Tokina I think, if I could find one... Tried to search but it seems to be rare? The Tamron 17/3.5 is everywhere, but it's supposed to be worse.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swappo, what you call fantasy prices for the Distagon 15mm are the real prices. You need to consider that the lens was produced in only 1160 copies (and this includes both the Contax and the Rollei versions). Since it's a very delicate lens and some exemplars are surely out of working order by now (I know of one, for instance), you can easily assume that there are no more than approx 1000 working copies out there. Some are surely with owners that would do anything but parting from them. This means that working copies that are available for sale, are very very few. And those few ones have prices that are quoted accordingly to the original value of the lens and to the rarity. Distagon 15s are not lenses that are there to be sold as soon as they hit Ebay. They require a buyer with good money availability, and they are going to stay on in Ebay until a buyer decides they are worth the investment.
I have a beautiful exemplar of Distagon 15 Contax version. I have even been thinking of selling it to help with my tax payments. But I will not discount it. This is a lens that can easily reach a quote of 3000-3500 Euros when this crisis will be over (it has already been up there). Right now, due to the hard times, it can be sold for 2500, but nothing less.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Swappo, what you call fantasy prices for the Distagon 15mm are the real prices. You need to consider that the lens was produced in only 1160 copies (and this includes both the Contax and the Rollei versions). Since it's a very delicate lens and some exemplars are surely out of working order by now (I know of one, for instance), you can easily assume that there are no more than approx 1000 working copies out there. Some are surely with owners that would do anything but parting from them. This means that working copies that are available for sale, are very very few. And those few ones have prices that are quoted accordingly to the original value of the lens and to the rarity. Distagon 15s are not lenses that are there to be sold as soon as they hit Ebay. They require a buyer with good money availability, and they are going to stay on in Ebay until a buyer decides they are worth the investment.
I have a beautiful exemplar of Distagon 15 Contax version. I have even been thinking of selling it to help with my tax payments. But I will not discount it. This is a lens that can easily reach a quote of 3000-3500 Euros when this crisis will be over (it has already been up there). Right now, due to the hard times, it can be sold for 2500, but nothing less.

I wasn't aware that it was so rare actually...
But what you just wrote makes me wonder about two things:

1) Are the lens worth that price? Is it so good or just rare?
It's hard to find any pictures taken with the lens. There are some, byt not many on the web.

2) Do people dare to use a expensive and rare lens like that? Smile
I don't want to turn this thread into a "shelf vs usage" thread, but seriously...

And by the way, do you, or anyone else, have any page where I could find info about how many copys that where made of differente c/y zeiss-lenses? It would be very interesting to read...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went a slightly different way than I waas supposed to. Smile
At least I can get rid of my Canon 16-35L now. :>