Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First attempt at flash portraiture
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:25 am    Post subject: First attempt at flash portraiture Reply with quote

No expensive kit here, just some dirt cheap Chinese (Neewer branded) wireless flash triggers, a couple of light stands with cheap white umbrella reflectors and a pair of old 1970s flashguns (Konica X20 as a fill light and Praktica 220 as a key light). EOS 450D with Helios 44-2.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That second picture seems to have the perfect lighting. Very well done shot, you even got the highlights on the eyes perfect.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice work.
You could try to place the umbrella lower at eye level to get the reflection from the eyes, and a ceiling bounce to control the fill. Darker skin tone near the light source to balance out the faces (#3).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like best #3 and #4 well done!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job Ian.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys.

Thanks for the tips hoanpham, I'll experiment further, this was just an initial test to see if the equipment I bought worked, I just stuck the two flashes at roughly 45 degrees to the subject one either side, with one closer as the key and the other a bit further away and higher as the fill, pretty basic, it's 15 years since I learnt lighting for film and tv shooting at uni so I just went for basic and simple. There wasn't room for a second fill or a rim light, we were just working in my friend's lounge, and we'd have to have moved some furniture around to make room for my third stand/umbrella.

Now I know the kit works I can start playing with different setups, which will be fun. Got a paying portrait session including a baby and a dog on Saturday, hence I needed to try things out asap, one thing I learnt is the recycle time on the flashes gets slightly longer as the batteries run down, I was using cheap zinc-air AAs, need to buy some powerful Ni-Mh ones asap, but I had 20-odd of the cheapies to play with so just went with what was at hand. The cheap Chinese wireless triggers work really well, fired both flashes every time (apart from a few shots where I hadn't given the Konica flash long enough to recharge) so I can recommend them, for the price I paid (less than 30ukp for three receivers and the transmitter) I think they're a real bargain.