Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ferentz Janos, artist lutemaker
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Ferentz Janos, artist lutemaker Reply with quote

Ferentz Janos, artist lutemaker and musician from Szeksárd, Hungary.
He creates musical instruments of the Etruscan and Celtic traditions, using only natural materials.

performance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccBR6A4eZL0

(photo: M9, Snapshot-Skopar)

Last edited by Orio on Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice story and video Orio Wink

Have you seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MejbOFk7H6c

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Have you seen this?

Thanks, but I see no relation with my photograph.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Nordentro wrote:
Have you seen this?

Thanks, but I see no relation with my photograph.

I agree, relation wasn't that good, but I guess I just thought about different ways of using music instruments. Confused

For me main subject in photo looks a little underexposed?!?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see my country man, thank you! Great photo as well!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:

For me main subject in photo looks a little underexposed?!?

Yes. More dark than underexposed, actually. It was in the shadow of a very contrasted daylight.
But that was the only way to portrait him together with his instruments. I could have asked him a photo, but away from
his instruments, it did not make sense anymore, he would be a guy like any other.

I will explain this portrait a bit:
I have chosen not to use flash, because I felt it was not fit to the subject. He makes musical instruments from plants only,
does not use metal, nor plastic. He says he goes after nature sounds.
I wanted the photo to be inside his universe, and not invade it. Flash felt invasive, something modern that did not fit.
Ideally, a fill panel could have been useful, but I didn't have it with me.
The second concept for this portrait: I felt that his instruments, and his hands, were the protagonists here, more than his face.
So I choosed to photograph it behind his instruments, with his hands more prominent than his face.
I am happy with this choice, I think it was correct.

I also took another picture of him not playing, also behind his instruments. It is on film though, I'll post it when I have developed it
(film is still inside the camera) and if it's any good.
I wanted to get back there today, because I wished I could photograph him together with his family.
During summer, he travels Europe with his 20 years old Mercedes caravan, to present his instruments in the Mediaeval and Roman fairs.
He has a beautiful family, with a wife and two children, one of them 1-2 years old child with incredible blonde curls, the blondest that I ever saw!
All of them dressed in the period clothes. Unfortunately, I was very tired and not feeling to drive there today.

Last edited by Orio on Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:18 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Nice to see my country man, thank you! Great photo as well!

Thanks Attila. He is a very friendly person, very witty. He speaks good Italian too. He knows a lot about old instruments and old traditions.
We had a very interesting and funny conversation, we laughed quite a lot because he tells lots of funny jokes. Smile
Someone asked him why does he do this job, and he answered "Because I love it. Isn't this the best reason?".
He does not only make these little old instruments, in Hungary in his workshop he makes "real" instruments as well.

Somehow I thought there was a link with you: you take care of old lenses, he does the same of old instruments from ancient traditions. Smile

P.S. I have bought two little instruments from him: a little owl, and a little whistle. 5 Euros each. Smile
I wanted to support him and his beautiful family. Unfortunately, I could not afford to give more. But if everyone gave him 10 Euros it would be good for them I think, so I am happy to have done my part.
The Roman legionaires company of enactors have bought a wooden pipe from him, for 100 Euros. Which was good for him, I'm happy about it.
Also it's nice to have a little souvenirs of him. I will use the owl to train my cats to get back home.
I am playing it now whenever I give them food. So I hope that after they learned it, if they are outside and hear the owl, they will get back home. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile cute story, yes a bit like me , right.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very fine documentation of one of those marvelous characters one meets along the way.

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Very fine documentation of one of those marvelous characters one meets along the way.
patrickh

Yes, when you're open and talk to people you can really meet wonderful characters. I did met many in the past, but I did not photograph them. I regret that today.
Now I won't miss them anymore. This is the kind of photographic legacy and message that I'd like to leave most.