Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Favourite 135mm lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: You can add this to the list Reply with quote

Ironfan wrote:
My favourite 135mm - a cosina f2.8. There are at least a couple of these manual cosinons about, The printing around the lens rim reads: Cosinon auto MC F=2.8 f=135mm No.785946.

Hey, mine is almost identical, but on the ring is writtern Porst not Cosinon. Yes, I know, it might be the same lens just rebranded.

(c) Cosmin Munteanu

(c) Cosmin Munteanu

and...

http://forum.mflenses.com/mr-peter-t1658.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/roses-in-town-t1141.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the exposure in the first one Cosmin. It has a very "real-time" look.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting question.

I´ve got 2 135ers, a Vivitar F2,8 M42 and a Nikkor Q-Auto F3,5 (my Mamiya 135 F2,8 hasn´t arrived yet along with the other SX lenses and the MSX1000).

Since my M42/Nikon-adapters are both crappy and I´ve been waiting for several weeks for the third try, I can´t focus the Vivitar to infinity.

So here´s a sample pic of the Nikkor. The link below is the same as full size 6MP.

http://home.arcor.de/benediktwiemer/junk/DSC_2487.JPG

Greetings
Benedikt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shot Benedikt - but check the horizon. You will never be able to use an M42 mount on your nikon with focusing to infinity unless you get one of those adapters with a lens included. Dont recommend that because it seriously degrades the lens. There are lots of great manual nikkors out there that will allow you to focus to infinity and you already have focus confirmation builtin.

Cosmin + Scott
Nice shots - I love flowers and flowers pics and those are good.

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Scott This Vivitar is amazing!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I REALLY love the first picture, Cosmin, although I would crop a lot on the right side.

-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A portrait with the Viv 135/2.8CF:

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Portrait Patrick!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great grab, Patrick, you got the focusing on the eyes perfect.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Viv 135/2.8 is this one: http://forum.mflenses.com/vivitar-by-komine-t4646.html#36443 ?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

splendid macro scott

wonderfull rose with nice colors cosmin

super shot Patrick, and must be slow speed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When this thread is read in conjunction with Orio's on the Tak 135/3.5, I think we can all see that this is another of those "magic" focal lengths where there are a ot of excellent options (like the macros at around 90-125). Much more of a challenge if we look at the 15-20mm range. Smile Smile Smile

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I' d post this....Same Flower I posted before but just of the stamen. Taken with the same lens but with the addition of a Vivitar 2X macro converter...Shutter speed was 1/500th, app was F8/11, used an SB 600 @full power (not handheld like the other)...The lens was racked out to 1/3rd life size but the converter was @ max magnification...This is why I like & recommend this lens as it fills more than one roll equally well...Even with a 2X converter, it still gives sharp details...Oh, no crop on the photo, just a slight saturation boost

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great macro Scott, and Cosmin those roses are so three-dimensional Smile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiratone 135mm f1.8
Porst 135mm f1.8
Raynox Polaris 135mm f1.8

All the same Sigma contract lens. Sometimes M42, but it usually has a universal adapter flange. I found a Sigma SA mount that tightens on with set screws. Is it a Tamron mount system? That makes people think it's a Tamron lens. It's built like a Tomioka, heavy and smooth.

I will test it against Zeiss 135/2 and maybe a Zuiko sometime. Right now my camera is bricked on firmware upgrade. There are some pictures on dpreview.com with a Spiratone version. The Fred Spira Spiratone is usually the one.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Spiratone 135mm f1.8 a good lens, but compare with Zeiss 135mm f2 no reason like compare bicycle with Corvette which one is faster. I used one times CZ 135mm f2 when I visit Orio , he lend me his copy. That is a truly fantastic lens, Spiratone is a good one.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up buying the Tamron 2.5/135 (since I already have a Tamron/EOS adapter). I am still waiting on the lens to arrive...
I can't wait to test it!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have newest 2.5/135mm Tamron that is a wonderful lens ! Good as any other famous competitor. You can see pictures in mflenses.com/gallery.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kon Bau's Spiratone 135mm f1.8:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1027&message=25559370
http://www.sigmauser.com/bbs/view.php?id=m42&page=1&sn1=&divpage=1&category=26&sn=off&ss=on&sc=on&keyword=spiratone&&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=277
http://www.sigmauser.com/bbs/zboard.php?id=m42&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&page_num=15&selected=&exec=&sn=off&ss=on&sc=on&su=&category=26&keyword=spiratone

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Nikkor 135/2 Reply with quote

For isolating a spot - wide open

and for landscapes

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you make a 100% crop from first one ?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick - these are both TERRIFIC photos!
Why didn't you show them in the gallery yet?
They both deserve full honour!
The first one, is excellent quality like it could be for a magazine reportage for instance, where you want to show something to tell a story.
Second one, is nothing short of breathtaking: I could spend an hour only looking at it!
-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to say a word about 135mm lenses.
Many people -I have no idea why- seems to follow this strange "opinion leaders' opinion" in major forums, that 135 mm lenses are "70s lenses" that today are out of fashion.
That 135mm lenses are too long for a portrait and too short for a nature shot, etc.
Yet -MY EXPERIENCE- shows that in most cases, when I present a series of photographs of my own, the photos taken with 135mm lenses are often amongst those that are praised the most.

First, I have to say that I think that this thing of the focal lenghts, should be re-dimensioned. It is true that different focal lenghts have different DOF and that also, in reason of that, the quality of bokeh changes (generally improving with the more lenght - and decreasing with the shorter lenghts).
Focal lenghts, however, are not absolute entities, they are always in relationship with the subject you are photographing and mostly with the distance you are photographing it from.

Having that said, I think that 135mm lenses, in normal shoting conditions, are about the best compromise one can find with a tele lens: they are short enough to allow for portraiture, but, they are long enough to allow for a definite blurring of the background, more similar to what you get with a 180mm lens than to what you get with a 85mm lens.
Not just that: they also let you save money with that. Because to obtain the same amount of deep bokeh blur that you have with a normal 135mm lens of f/2.8 or f/3.5, you need to use 85mm lenses that are at least f/2 if not even f/1.4 - not just that, they have to be good at that, that is, they have to be sharp and clear enough wide open to allow you to actually use them at wide open.

-