Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fast 'ish' 55-60 recommendations?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:41 am    Post subject: Fast 'ish' 55-60 recommendations? Reply with quote

I'm looking for a general purpose 55-60 lens to fill a gap in my line-up on my NEX.

Normal considerations apply:

Needs to be small as to not be unwieldy on the NEX.
Needs to be relatively cheap.
Would prefer it to be cheaper than more expensive Laughing
Closer focusing is a plus.
Faster is a plus.

I've seriously consider getting a Biotar/Helios 58/2 because it just looks fun. I've also looked hard at the Leica 60r because it could pull double duty as a macro. Although, all my Contax G lenses focus relatively close and if I were going to spend that much I'd just jump ahead and buy the Rokkor 58/1.2.

So, please - recommend away!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rokkor 58/1.2 is really great lens for sure. Helios quality varies widely. As for me it is much more copy dependant than many other lenses. I bet you may like Hexanons: 40/1.8, 50/1.8, Minolta Rokkor 50/1.7. Those are trully excellent lenses. 40/1.8 will give you true 60mm/1.8 on your NEX. Also Takumar SMC 55/1.8 is a gem.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good, cheap, small and light -

Ricoh XR Rikenon 50/2
In the US most often seen as Auto Sears.
Look for any Ricoh/Sears K-mount SLR, you can certainly get one cheap with this excellent lens.
Try for $ 20 including shipping. Or less.

More solid, heavier, classic value but getting more expensive -
Super or S-M-C Takumar 55/1.8 or 55/2

Heavier, but also great, also cheap -
55/1.8 or 50/1.8 screw mount Ricoh, Sears, Mamiya, Chinon, Yashica, etc. These are all very good.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the takumar 55/1.8: it can be found really cheap. A good option can be the ebc fujinon 1.8 55, which is as cheap as the takumar, an can be easily found attached to old fujicas.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think "fast" and "cheap" is not friendly Very Happy unless you found it bargain or special case.
fast lens usually go for f1,2. in my country Canon FL 55/1,2 is cheapest amongst f1,2
cheap and good for NEX is Jupiter 8 50/2. nothing compare to price/value ratio I guess. many members here will agree, but MFD is 1 meter. I prefer this J8 than Helios or biotar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helios 44-2/44-3 are nice little lenses for fun! Buy one just to have it, it is so cheap that you can buy 5 without bother Smile. About fast and cheap... well there isn't such thing. The smallest 1.2 I think is the Pentax 50 1.2(A or K version) and one of the sharpest 1.2 too. Rokkor is very nice lens but looks like a jar on the nex Smile. If you chose the pentax you can add as well the M 50 1.7 to the collection which is sharper than Takumar 55 1.8(on crop it is better in every way) and has so planar character wide open, plus it is veeery small and very cheap!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may consider Rokkor 1.4/58 and Canon FL 1.2/55 - but they are comparatively large and not that stellar. Instead i would recommend Contax G 2/45.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good copy of Helios 2/58 remains today still the best bargain one can make.
The problem is to find a good copy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

+1

Although, I don't think finding a usable copy is much of problem.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helios 2/58, Takumar 1.8/55, 2/55 are a bit smaller, Auto Takumar f2/55 is smallest

later edit: links with samples of the imo fabulous Auto Takumar f2/55mm:
http://forum.mflenses.com/asahi-auto-takumar-2-55-pentax-m42-t37883,highlight,%2Bauto+%2Btakumar.html
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/sets/72157622525555050/show/

Last edited by kuuan on Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Fast 'ish' 55-60 recommendations? Reply with quote

plasticmotif wrote:
I'm looking for a general purpose 55-60 lens to fill a gap in my line-up on my NEX.

Normal considerations apply:

Needs to be small as to not be unwieldy on the NEX.
Needs to be relatively cheap.
Would prefer it to be cheaper than more expensive Laughing
Closer focusing is a plus.
Faster is a plus.

I've seriously consider getting a Biotar/Helios 58/2 because it just looks fun. I've also looked hard at the Leica 60r because it could pull double duty as a macro. Although, all my Contax G lenses focus relatively close and if I were going to spend that much I'd just jump ahead and buy the Rokkor 58/1.2.

So, please - recommend away!

What about Tamron 60mm F2.0 Di II Macro?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought an X- Fujinon DM 1.6/50 for 99p in almost mint condition, not tried it yet but samples others have posted make it look like a stunning lens. I often see them for less than 10ukp on ebay.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl Zeiss Biotar 2/58
Helios 44 58/2 (best price, very very similar to the CZ Biotar)
Minolta MD Rokkor 58/1.4 (my personal recommendation)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAZA wrote:
I think "fast" and "cheap" is not friendly Very Happy unless you found it bargain or special case.
fast lens usually go for f1,2. in my country Canon FL 55/1,2 is cheapest amongst f1,2

a 50mm with F1.2 which is small and "cheap": EBC xFujinon 1.2/50 also avaible as Porst Color Reflex UMC 1.2/50.. you should be able to find one for under 150 Euro. Together with the xFuji Adapter this should be also the smallest 1.2/50 SLR lens for the NEX.

here you can see the Porst version:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zniv/3684474805/

Last edited by Tedat on Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

std wrote:
You may consider Rokkor 1.4/58 and Canon FL 1.2/55 - but they are comparatively large and not that stellar. Instead i would recommend Contax G 2/45.

I've got the CV 15, Contax G 28, 45 and 90.

I'm looking for something between the 45-90. I think 55-70 would be perfect. Although, I'm curious about the CV 75.

I'll probably get an Olympus MC version of the 24/2.8 to cover that small gap.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:
Orio wrote:

+1
Although, I don't think finding a usable copy is much of problem.

No, but there is a huge difference between useable and very good.
I have had a dozen different Helios-44, in the various incarnations. But only one of them could perform like this:

Whole:

100% crop:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all, if someone wants a 55-60 mm, you can't give the advice to buy a 50/whatsoever! Rolling Eyes Far too easy! Something in the range of 55-60 mm. I think 58 is spot on, but my Tamron 60 wasn't too bad either. I know it's an autofocus lens, but it's fast, it's damn good, and you can focus by hand. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, if it has to be 55-60, there are two other than the Helios that can be had cheap and are stunning.

1. Petri CC Auto 1.8/55. Cost me 99p:

2. Topcon RE Auto 1.8/58. Cost me less than 30ukp:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there that much variation between the biotars?

if not, which one should I get?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto the Helio 58/2. Great little lens.

Also, dittoing the SMC Takumar 55mm 1.8. I only have a couple using this lens uploaded to flickr and they aren't the best, but will give an idea. Shot at high ISO so excuse the grain (which I actually like for the second shot).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plasticmotif wrote:

anyone?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plasticmotif wrote:
plasticmotif wrote:

anyone?

I only have had one Biotar 2/58, so my experience is not as wide as for the Helios-44
My Biotar is very good, slightly different and better in bokeh than the Helios-44
My best copy of Helios-44 is perhaps infinitesimally sharper than the Biotar though.
All in all not huge differences.
If you pick a very good Helios-44, it is going to be like a Biotar or even a bit sharper
If you pick a bad copy of Helios-44, it is going to be much worse (flaring, soft, etc.)
I think overall Biotar may be a safer buy - but Helios-44 certainly a much smaller expense.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

std wrote:
You may consider Rokkor 1.4/58 and Canon FL 1.2/55 - but they are comparatively large and not that stellar. .

Huh? The Canon FL 55mm f1.2 is one of the most stellar lenses I own! The only reason its very cheap to buy is because optical FL/FD-EF adapters are'nt very popular (because they reduce image quality) and FL/FD lenses cant be adapted to Nikon mount DSLR's.
But converted to other mounts without additional optics in between, like I have done with mine, and its simply awesome. The NEX can also use FL/FD lenses via an FD-E mount adapter that does'nt need to contain any additional optics either, which is a bonus for the OP. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plasticmotif wrote:

They all have the about same character due the same design. But the original Carl Zeiss lenses should be in most cases superior to the Helios lenses due better quality control. It's always a safer buy. But it also reaches up to 10x of the Helios prices for that. I didn't heard anything about iQ between Carl Zeiss Biotars. If it's possible get one with a red T or red T* (T is coated, T* is very coated, I don't know if they exist though).

There are also many version of the Helios 44, some are multi-coated and some not and some have different casing but you should not care much about that. The differences between single copys of the same version are often bigger as between the different versions and theres no satisfying rule how to determine which are better without testing..

I got a very good Helios 44-2 together with Zenit M42 body for 9€ about one year ago.
Later I also got a much more expensive Helios 44-M7 which was told me be a to be the sharpest Helios 44 but the truth was that it was only sharper in the center and softer in the corners. Some say Helios 44-3 is the best but I also heard of 44-3 lemons. Smile It's always a little gambling... I more important to get one cheap and in good condition, no matter which version.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no T* Biotar, just T.

One caveat with Biotars, they had soft coatings and were easily damaged and scratched, many you see for sale have been damaged (by people cleaning them with their shirt tie or other careless treatment) and this spoils contrast and sharpness.

That outstanding Helios-44 Orio showed performs like a Biotar, so it is possible to find a Helios-44 that is as good.

So I think it is best to say the Biotar is better but condition can remove that margin and many Biotars are not in top condition.

Here is a classic example of a scratched Biotar:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360441959368?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_2642wt_1396