Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

EXOTIC ZEISS Planar T* 2/135
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: EXOTIC ZEISS Planar T* 2/135 Reply with quote

Hi All,

Is my first post in MF, I am very agree with the slogan with "new life in a digital age". I am eye-ing on one of the exotic Zeiss and not much information available for this gem.

Is anyone has any idea with this lens and any gallery available for sharing? I was understood that this lens is having some "Leica-glow" wide open and not very useable wide open.

Nice to see you guys here.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard!

I don't really get why a Zeiss 2/135 should be very "exotic". It's an amazing 135mm lens, expensive but not that rare.

I guess, Orio can tell you more about it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: EXOTIC ZEISS Planar T* 2/135 Reply with quote

It has very smooth Bokeh which is probably it's greatest strength or point of difference.

Last edited by jjphoto on Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: EXOTIC ZEISS Planar T* 2/135 Reply with quote

imperian wrote:
I was understood that this lens is having some "Leica-glow" wide open and not very useable wide open.

Hi Imperian, welcome the Wonderful World of MF Lenses Very Happy

Regular forum-readers here will know I have a bit of a "thing" about the so-called "Leica-glow" but here I go again trying to preach the Gospel of Veracity in an age of Misquotation and Misunderstanding Rolling Eyes

The "Leica-glow" label dates back to the era before digital cameras were even imagined and was first used to describe the richness and vibrance that many people saw (or thought they saw) in colour slides taken with SOME Leica lenses. In my experience, some Leica lenses from the 1950s,60s and 70s did indeed have something of that quality - but not all of them.

Today, we have a back-to-front situation where there is the notion that older Leica lenses have a flare-induced "glow" which reduces their usefulness at wide apertures. This is, to put it politely, mistaken.

If the Zeiss Planar 135 has a "glow" it will undoubtedly be the "real" Leica-glow where the images have that extra "oomph" that sets them apart from others.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carsten is right, I can't think of anything less exotic than a Planar lens, unless you consider exotic the Apfelstrudel and the
9th of Beethoven Wink Laughing
As for the Leica glow, as the name says, you need to look for it in prewar Leica lenses.
Zeiss always had a different concept for use of wide open.
Probably that's why in prewar time Leica was so desperate trying to reach the same level of quality of lenses like
the Zeiss Sonnar 1.5/50 Twisted Evil
It's Leica that in the 70s with the R lenses started to imitate the microcontrast and wide open sharpness of Zeiss lenses, because it was
more successful commercially.

As for the 2/135 Contax Planar wide open, here's one of my photos:

What do you think? I don't think that there's any Leica glow there Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

Zeiss always had a different concept for use of wide open. Probably that's why in prewar time Leica was so desperate trying to reach the same level of quality of lenses likethe Zeiss Sonnar 1.5/50 Twisted Evil

... and Zeiss to make a camera as reliable as the Leica . . . Razz (sorry, Orio)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, sorry if I am overrated this Planar as exotic since the SLRreview this lens is very uncommon and not in the mainstream of manufacturing.

Orio, your Planar 2/135 looks very sharp wide open!

Btw, Zeiss and Leica are really hold up their price very well in the used market with the excellent IQ. I am thinking of picking up either summicron-R 90/2, C/Y 1.4/85 or C/Y 2/135. Any recommendation on this?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imperian wrote:
I am thinking of picking up either summicron-R 90/2, C/Y 1.4/85 or C/Y 2/135. Any recommendation on this?

Browse our "Best of Lenses" galleries, you can see many samples there, and form your own opinion.
What you mention, are all great lenses, the difference amongst them is mainly in the use that you will make of them, and in your
personal liking, things that only you can answer. For sure you'll not go wrong with any of them.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

What do you think? I don't think that there's any Leica glow there Twisted Evil

Hahahahahaha!
Just Zeiss brilliance... maybe