Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Exakta cameras
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received the Tamron adapter, but it is an Adaptamatic instead of Adaptall. I could send it back, but the price was good, so in the adapter box it goes. I'll just have to wait to use the Tamron lenses.

Phil

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got bit bad by the Exakta bug about two years ago.
I owned an Exa IIa as a teenager, loved it, but lost it somehow during college.
This time around I've managed to accumulate 20 working examples, encompasing every major variant of Exakta/Exa, going back to the VP.
Some weren't in the best working order when I got them, but repair turned out to be pretty interesting and doable with the proper tools and a little internet research.
My repair goals were not necessarily a complete rehab, just a prompt return to a reasonably functional shooting condition.
I did run into the rubber curtain/pinhole problem a few times. Turns out that you can get a pretty serviceable result by painting the pinholes or wrinkled curtains on the film side with a 50/50 mix of black spray-on flexible sealant and thinner.
This can range from a few dabs on isolated holes to coating the entire curtain.
This kind of repair isn't as elegant as a curtain replacement, and obviously isn't as durable. But my experience with it in several cameras is that it has been holding up fine for casual use. The extra mass of a lot of paint does appear to slow down the faster shutter speeds some, but negligible for slower speeds. Would also be cautious about subjecting your repair job to temperature extremes.
Seized or very loud/slow/hesitant/resistant mechanisms can often be improved by a few drops of lighter fluid (naphtha), but be real careful with this around rubberized curtains.
There is something very satisfying about bringing one of these old babes back into service, and I've shot enough rolls through each to recognize that every one has a unique character.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got bit bad by the Exakta bug about two years ago.
I owned an Exa IIa as a teenager, loved it, but lost it somehow during college.
This time around I've managed to accumulate 20 working examples, encompasing every major variant of Exakta/Exa, going back to the VP.
Some weren't in the best working order when I got them, but repair turned out to be pretty interesting and doable with the proper tools and a little internet research.
My repair goals were not necessarily a complete rehab, just a prompt return to a reasonably functional shooting condition.
I did run into the rubber curtain/pinhole problem a few times. Turns out that you can get a pretty serviceable result by painting the pinholes or wrinkled curtains on the film side with a 50/50 mix of black spray-on flexible sealant and thinner.
This can range from a few dabs on isolated holes to coating the entire curtain.
This kind of repair isn't as elegant as a curtain replacement, and obviously isn't as durable. But my experience with it in several cameras is that it has been holding up fine for casual use. The extra mass of a lot of paint does appear to slow down the faster shutter speeds some, but negligible for slower speeds. Would also be cautious about subjecting your repair job to temperature extremes.
Seized or very loud/slow/hesitant/resistant mechanisms can often be improved by a few drops of lighter fluid (naphtha), but be real careful with this around rubberized curtains.
There is something very satisfying about bringing one of these old babes back into service, and I've shot enough rolls through each to recognize that every one has a unique character.