Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Exakta cameras
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@yinyangbt: Seems I'm a bit younger than you, but not by much. I saw only the Zeniths in the shops. We had two photo shops in our town, Cluj. I remember admiring as a kid the photosniper, it hung in one of the shops for years. Seems nobody wanted to buy it or had not the money. I also remember Seagull TLRs and perhaps some Smena. Could be that in Bucharest the offer was more diversified. My father bought his Praktica MTL-3 on a trip to the GDR in 76. I was not allowed to touch it.

@Mos6502: Please explain about the reverse curl advance. I think I don't understand what you mean.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my other Varex , this one doesn't have problems with perforated curtains .The IIb. Also has a squeak sound ,needs lubrication. Here with the same Schneider 135mm

This is what it can deliver ( Varex IIa ) with the Schneider Kreutznach Tele Xenar 135/3.5 Fuji 200 ,when carefully focused :

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a VXIIB I removed from its shell to lubricate the squawk out of:

Unfortunately it looks like somebody replaced one of the curtains and didn't get the slit width 100% correct when glueing it in, so now the shutter works smoothly and quietly, but the speeds are off.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my Exakta, a VXIIa embossed. Like my others that have departed, there are the usual pinholes in the shutter. I have 5 or 6 lenses for this beauty, including the 35mm above, a 40mm Kilfitt Macro, a couple of 50s and a 58mm Biotar, a 100mm f2.8 Aragon, and a 135mm F3.5 Quinar by Steinheil.

I have taken a few pictures with these lenses with my VX500, but it gave up the mechanical ghost, so what I've done is put this embossed on the mantle for show, and picked up an RTL1000 to use the lenses. I also have an adapter for Exakta lenses on my trio of Olympus Pen Fs and FTs, so the glass isn't orphaned.

I'm just running some film through the RTL and a Pen FT this week, so I'll post some shots when I develop them. In the meantime, we can all admire this beautiful VXIIa, in spite of it's perforated shutter curtain!

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two fine working models:

Exakta Varex VX

Exakta 500

Both with cases in good condition.

The VX is very elegant, but I slightly prefer the unusual, more rounded shape of the 500, because it is quite comfortable and natural in hand.

Nice shooters!

Texsport

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for posting your beauties here.
Please keep doing so! I'll try to post again mines.
Today I took the "bII" with Schneider-Kreutznach 135/3.5 to a autumn afternoon stroll. It was fun.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my most recent Exakta, a Varex IIb, here with a Flektogon.

Exakta Varex IIb by René Maly, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My second contribution to this thread . . . a bit more information and examples here.

yinyangbt wrote:
luisalegria wrote:
I have been opening and fixing some Exaktas lately. I have a good selection of 1950's, 1960's versions.
I also had an Exakta since I was a teenager in the 1970's and I still have it. It is a 1956 version and it still works. I was just shooting with it yesterday. No service needed.

There is no internal quality difference I can see between the 1950's versions and the 1960's VXIIa and VXIIb (the ones with a different faceplate). Some of the later 1950's Exakta Varex also had rubber coated shutter curtains along with the VXIIa's. Thats the main quality difference with both the earlier 1950's and the later 1960's VXIIb, of which some also had non-rubber shutter curtains.

I also have a VX500, which I also fixed, and that is certainly more cheaply made inside and out.

The biggest problem is as already said, the shutter curtains and lubrication. It is not that hard to fix the lubrication problem yourself. The cameras are not hard to disassemble for lubrication, it just takes some patience as there are a lot of screws. The shutter curtains are not that easy to fix. You need good luck, neatness and the right materials.

There were actually many kinds of focus screens made for Exaktas and many had focus aids like split image. You can also change the focus screens very easily. Focus screens for Exakta are very easy to find and quite cheap. There are also plenty of different finders for them. Vertical, prism, macro of different kinds, metering prisms, etc. These different finders are also mostly quite common and cheap.

Using an Exakta is a different experience. They just cant be used as fast as something like a Pentax Spotmatic. Everything is done slower.

I am kinda puzzled by the problem of rubberized courtains thai is said to develop pinholes . Still unclear wich of the IIa and IIb developed the problem ( and how frequent and serious it really is).

This pretty much says it all. I can kick a few things in. I collect cameras, and have an example of every Exa made, and most of the Exaktas.

They are peculiar beasts, a true cult machine. The problem with the shutter curtains is true - I have 15 Exakta IIbs and IIas, and none is usable because of the pinhole problem. There was a guy in Kelowna who used to repair and rubberize them, and I understand it can still be done, but not by me. He's gone so not by him, either.

Oddly, the VX 500 is more reliable; I have three and only one has shutter pinholes. The real beauty of the kitschy RTL 1000 is that you can use all of your good Exakta lenses (the best thing about the klan) because it has a metal shutter curtain. As was pointed out above, the Exa 1 and 1a set have metal shutters, and they are good users, too.

The one considered the "prettiest" is the Embossed VXIIa. Here's my example, with the 35mm Zeiss Flektogon mounted on it. I showed this above, but it's so pretty it's worth doing again!!!

The Exa 1 is my favorite user:

And here are a couple of scanned 4x6 machine prints (Ilford XP2) I took with the very Exa above, with the 35mm Schacht Travegon f3.5 lens, a very nice piece of glass:

Beehive burners in Prince George:

And the Prince George railyards (I tinted this one sepia)

As I said above, they're cult cameras, addictive and unique - but if you want a better user from that period, go a Pentax Spotmatic or a Topcon RE Super. I use most of my Exakta lenses via adapter on my Olympus Pen FT. You have to work hard for a print off of the Ihagee clan, but they'll do a great job if you're patient and careful. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately ,I shooted rarely in the last year but generally I had problems focusing corectly. My last film was 90% off ...Very frustrating .But no pinholes , that's the good news. I'll have to get a nex/exakta adapter to test the lenses on digital
The exposure times were good despite the noise (needs lubing)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week I received an Exakta TwinTL. Everything works, it is nice, though not made in Germany. I would love to use my M42 lenses on it, but no adapter. If anyone has a spare, PM me, maybe we can work something out.

Phil

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the M42 version of the Twin TL (yes, at one point they did that), though its a wreck.
If you want the lensmount from it thats an option.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some photos from my VX 1000 and a Trioplan 2.9/50 lens. It was a very dull day and I had a very hard time focusing with the prism viewfinder. The film was some out of date 100 ISO film that I cannot remember the name of unfortunately. The first 6 were edited in Photoshop. The first one is double or triple exposed by accident on the last frame of film, because the frame counter was not working properly.
Here are my Exakta and Exa cameras with some lenses. I have only used the VX 1000, but I will at least test all of them.

[url=http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/201412/big_5988_F1740031_1.jpg][url]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 Great photo the double exposed one ! Worth a big print !
2 I thought I'm the only one having problems focusing thru exakta system
3 Beautiful cameras
4 Good results in the end ,that's important
5 Nice series
6 Exaktas are cameras with character ,of a special kind , I love them

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teo wrote:
1 Great photo the double exposed one ! Worth a big print !
2 I thought I'm the only one having problems focusing thru exakta system
3 Beautiful cameras
4 Good results in the end ,that's important
5 Nice series
6 Exaktas are cameras with character ,of a special kind , I love them

Thank you.
Have you tried using the waist level viewfinder?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, The results were worse

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the waist level finder that takes interchangeable focus screens, use that with a split image screen and you won't have any problems.

I actually prefer the plain ground glass and have never had any problem with it. But I have found that many old prisms hav custom diopter eyepieces installed making them unusable for me.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using an Exakta is a different experience. They just cant be used as fast as something like a Pentax Spotmatic. Everything is done slower.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focussing is easy with Exakta if you use the very bright and exakt working more modern fresnell-lenses with spli-image and or micro-prism ring or dot.

Klaus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope I'll fid the time and disposition to get the focusing screens needed. After all there was a system from Exacta exactly Laughing for that.
My Varex IIb need a cleaning and lubing for best results , but has the courtains OK .Probably I should begin lubing first my IIa with pinholes in courtains just to learn the process....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, for those of you Exacta fans who havn't seen it yet, here is a great site with lots of info about Exacta cameras:
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/exakta/index.html

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two Exakta cameras. One is the Twin TL, which is a different bayonet mount, the other a Varex IIa. The Varex has a jammed shutter. Luckily there is plenty of information on the dis assembly and repair on the internet. I will give it a try soon.

Thanks to 'guardian' posting in the adapters section, [img]http://forum.mflenses.com/ke-t-mount-adapter-t69328.html[/img] I found a Exakta to T mount adapter so I can use 'T' lenses on Exakta and Exa bodies I have. That led me to some research which resulted in ordering Topcon/Exakta adaptall adapter. I hope it fits, should be delivered the first week in January. I am looking forward to trying the 90mm macro (52B)

Here is an EXA 1a with my old f8/500mm lens using the KE to T mount.

Phil

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice set ,Phil !Good for Street shooting for losing yourself in the crowd and not being noticed Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, because of the shutter of the Exa, this combo will give you some vignetting with your shots.

Klaus

PWhite214 wrote:

Here is an EXA 1a with my old f8/500mm lens using the KE to T mount.

Phil

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, TEO, I am positive no one would notice that camera pointed in their direction.

Exaklaus, I did read about vignetting with T-mount lenses, but for $5, I thought the adapter would be a nice addition to my collection. Also thinking that the Tamron Adaptall may have the same problem, but willing to try to see if it is useful.

Phil

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most lenses above 100mm will vignet.
Klaus