Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Evening snaps in Bologna
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Evening snaps in Bologna Reply with quote

I took these quick snapshots yesterday evening in Bologna while I was walking to the darkroom course.
You can call it a "photodiary" if you like. Notes of traveling, to capture the flavour of the place and the moment.
Contax IIa with Zeiss Opton Sonnar 1.5/50, Ferrania colour film ISO 200. Scans by the photolab:

two crops from above images:

crop of 03:

crop of 09:

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are nice - really good color and atmosphere. That's good film work.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great colorful without pp needed, and the lens is sharp!
how was the darkroom course
what % girl/men and how was the atmosphere

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those pics has a nice feeling.
Warm and... hard to describe... I like it.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice shots. Thanks for sharing them!
Isn't it great that in cities the streets are buzzing with life even in the evening? I like that a lot and miss it here where we live...

How did you like the course?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.
It's very fun to go around with the small old Contax. It's now the 4-5th times that I used it and I have noticed that people is less intimidated when I use it compared to more modern cameras.
The leather case and the obvious age of the tool (and of the photographer perhaps Laughing ) have I think a reassuring effect, something like if people thinks "this is a real photographer not an intruder". I actually even have sometimes people clearly posing for me after they notice me, like the smoking girl under Garibaldi. Shocked

poilu wrote:
great colorful without pp needed, and the lens is sharp!
how was the darkroom course
what % girl/men and how was the atmosphere

The course is fun. We haven't entered the darkroom yet. So far only theory and technical lessons. Stuff that I already know (like how to meter light, the zone system, the history of photography, the different styles etc) but it's nice to go out and talk photography with people that is interested.
Yesterday there was a theory lessons on the different photographic styles of the XX century. The teacher showed photos of the masters, and we discussed them. Like I said, all stuff that I know and already did at the University, but it's nice to go back of 20 + years and feel like a student again Laughing

Percentage girl/men... hmmm it varies, depending on the lesson. Yesterday there was like 70% girls, but I was expecting it, girls love theory. Boys prefer practice Wink Laughing
The day we took interiors photos, there was about 50-50%

The atmosphere is nice, because after some lessons now we got to know each other a bit and started talking. The only thing annoying is the long drive to get there... but at the same time it's nice to have this change in my daily routine for some time.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Isn't it great that in cities the streets are buzzing with life even in the evening? I like that a lot and miss it here where we live...

Exactly. Despite I live in >100.000 city/town, I feel like in a village. Streets are empty in evening time, even the centre is lifeless...

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

Exactly. Despite I live in >100.000 city/town, I feel like in a village. Streets are empty in evening time, even the centre is lifeless...

Well, Bologna isn't that much bigger, 374.561 residents... I think a lot depends on people's habits. There are bigger cities than Bologna that are less alive in the evenings. Whenever I went to Bologna I always found people outside in the evenings. Same for Pisa. I think that being University cities helps a lot. Students like to hang out in the evenings. Cities without big universities, or cities that have Universities that are far from the centre, are less alive. Also in Emilia we are quite social (we like social life) at all ages. Same happens in other regions like Tuscany. In other regions instead it isn't the same, or as much. There are regions where life is more private for people that is over 40.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, great shots, Orio, really like 9,10,11, and 12. Ferrania film never
looked so good!

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the "atmosphere" of the bar photos and the film colors.

A joke, today I got for the first time in my hands my new kiev 4A.

When I was checking it, it was impossible to check the rangefinder. I was socked. First problematic buy from *bay. Then I realized that my finger was always in the wrong place [the window of rangefinder] and now I know the contax different holding of the camera.... Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

magnet-2009 wrote:
When I was checking it, it was impossible to check the rangefinder. I was socked. First problematic buy from *bay. Then I realized that my finger was always in the wrong place [the window of rangefinder] and now I know the contax different holding of the camera.... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Welcome to the marvellous Contax-Kiev world! And you'll also have to learn how to move focus rings for longer lenses without covering the RF glass Wink

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Alessandro. OK, I'll be a careful user.

There is a tip, no yellow square in the viewfinder => finger-holding alarm. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

magnet-2009 wrote:

That is actually more the Kiev way.
Contax IIa is not so extreme. With my Contax I can focus with the index finger and still see the viewfinder. With the Kiev, I need to focus with the middle finger.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What fun Orio. So glad you are enjoying your course, and the camera. It is the kind of "real life" series that makes this forum such an enjoyable and informative place

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Patrick!
Yes in fact I do what I always hope to find in other people's city photographs... a glimpse of life that is different from what you can find in the tourist leaflets.