Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

EPSON shows new 2.36M dots for LCD EVF
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: EPSON shows new 2.36M dots for LCD EVF Reply with quote

Sorry this might be a old news. Very Happy

They also shows 1,280 x 768 dot LCD panel for EVF called ULTIMICRON.

They have now 800x600 (1.44M dots) used for EP-2's EVF along
1,024 x 768 (2.36M dots).

So newer dSLR may sports one of those eventually, rumor says
Nikon is working on a mirror less dSLR. Of course this LCD is used
as a new non-optical finder such as Pana's G1 or digital movie cams.

info in japanese> http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20091119_330042.html

Last edited by koji on Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:43 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, good news for all, esp m4/3 interested people. very in keeping with rolf's post yesterday about the panny gf1.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's too early in the technology line for me, I'll get interested in it the moment they will make a full frame version of EVIL

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: EPSON shows new 236M dots for LCD EVF Reply with quote

koji wrote:
So newer dSLR may spots one of those eventually, rumor says
Nikon is working on a mirror less dSLR.

My bet is that all makers of interchangeable lens DSLRs are working on EVILs. They'd be idiots not to.

I look forward to this product, and I will sell one or more of my motorcycles to buy it:

An EVIL with a very high resolution viewfinder and an FF sensor, and that will have a narrow registration distance such that just about any lens made can be adapted for use with it. If this is a company like Nikon or Canon, with a huge investment and user base in its existing lens line, they can also market an extension with full lens coupling so that the legacy lenses can be used with no loss of features. Or in Nikon's case, no loss of features than there is with any other current DLSR.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a theory that this display is responsible for the delay of the Samsung NX release.
Samsung surely would not want to be one upped when bring out such a groundbreaking cam as the NX promises to be.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey sunshine
ive only read a little about the nx. what about it are you hoping will be groundbreaking?
tony

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly cuz it has an APS-C sized sensor, near as I can determine.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, ok, thanks.
t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep.
1.5 crop sensor and short flange distance.
The camera will be able to mount (presumably) Most RF lenses as well as all the reflex lenses ever made.
Combine that with the Samsung sensor. The very one that gives the older Pentax models such great colors. It should be a winner for guys like us.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so you think that will be significantly better than the gf1 or ep2? in what respects?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to say until we see it.
I'm impressed with the Pany and 1.7/20mm shots that we see so far.

What I'm hoping for is a camera that will mesh well with M-mount lenses from 21mm and longer.
The M 4/3 cameras do not work well with M lenses wider than 40mm.
The corners and color get smeary.
Retro-focus lenses work better but look like behemoths on those tiny bodies.
It sort of defeats the purpose to have a compact body and giant lens.

An example. From my tests the ZM 2.8/21 performs similarly although with less distortion as the Reflex Contax 2.8/21.
The ZM is tiny while the Contax lens is the size of a mid tele.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh i didnt realize that about the m4/3 and m lenses, i thought that compatibility w m lenses was actually a plus of the system, but didnt pay too much attn to it because i dont have any m lenses myself. very interesting tech stuff happening now. i myself really am after the ep2, the inbody IS and olly color being the main factors over the panny, tho i am generally disappointed in the x2 crop factor. thats why im also thinking of getting a used 1ds, so i can use the lenses the way they were intended to be used.

but yes i have heard great things about that panny 20mm, esp vs the olly 17mm. i was also very impressed with the post about using c mount lenses on the olympus ep1, because they tend to be smaller and much less expensive than the $400 itll take to buy that panny lens!
tony

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: EPSON shows new 236M dots for LCD EVF Reply with quote

koji wrote:
Sorry this might be a old news. Very Happy

They also shows 1,280 x 768 dot LCD panel for EVF called ULTIMICRON.

They have now 800x600 (144M dots) used for EP-2's EVF along
1,024 x 768 (236M dots).

So newer dSLR may sports one of those eventually, rumor says
Nikon is working on a mirror less dSLR. Of course this LCD is used
as a new non-optical finder such as Pana's G1 or digital movie cams.

info in japanese> http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20091119_330042.html

I think you need a new calculator Wink

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
I have a theory that this display is responsible for the delay of the Samsung NX release.
Samsung surely would not want to be one upped when bring out such a groundbreaking cam as the NX promises to be.

NX is not really late - originally it was supposed to come out 2010 - most likely due to introdution and popularity of mircro-4/3 Samsung has done everything it can to prevent people from purchasing competing systems.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Yep.
1.5 crop sensor and short flange distance.
The camera will be able to mount (presumably) Most RF lenses as well as all the reflex lenses ever made.
Combine that with the Samsung sensor. The very one that gives the older Pentax models such great colors. It should be a winner for guys like us.

Older models? Only K20D and K7 have a Samsung sensor Smile . Colors on the other hand depend mostly on the color filter array and processing. K20D (and probably K7 too) do have rather strong and "honest" CFA - some other manufacturers use more transparent CFA and more mathematics to counter the color problems (more or less successfully).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
so you think that will be significantly better than the gf1 or ep2? in what respects?

I don't know about him, but the major difference is the sensor size APS-C is quite a bit larger than 4/3. This leads to better image quality.

Also, if one likes to use older lenses (like most people on this forum do), the "crop factor" of APS-C is superior.

There are two or three problems I have with the NX system:

First, the image stabilizing is done on lens. This was predictable as they do want to sabotage people from using their old lenses with adapters to sell more lenses themselves. For me to use a camera as a primary camera this is a deal breaker. For street photos it's all right though, I guess.

The (first) camera is too large for street photography and due to lacking IS in body it'd be useless for me in other kind of photography.

Also, the camera has no FF-sensor, and I am afraid the mount will be too small for one, though, I don't know this for sure.

Anyhow, I am broke and mostly satisfied with K20D, so no new cameras for me till 2015 or so...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: EPSON shows new 236M dots for LCD EVF Reply with quote

koji wrote:
They have now 800x600 (144M dots) used for EP-2's EVF along
1,024 x 768 (236M dots).

As Anu already noted above, the dot counts are way off. The actual figures would be 1.44M and 2.36M, respectively, but even that is just marketing speak where every R, G, B “dot” is counted separately.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anu, totally understand what youre saying about larger sensor=better IQ. however, did you see rolfs post showing off photos from his sons gf1? or abbazz's post showing off photos from the ep1 with cine lenses? i havent seen many similar shots i think are much better on this forum, have you? this has always been a hot button issue for me, tech theory vs on the ground reality in real life situations.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
anu, totally understand what youre saying about larger sensor=better IQ. however, did you see rolfs post showing off photos from his sons gf1? or abbazz's post showing off photos from the ep1 with cine lenses? i havent seen many similar shots i think are much better on this forum, have you? this has always been a hot button issue for me, tech theory vs on the ground reality in real life situations.

I haven't seen those photos. If they were of the regular post size (max. 900 pix wide), it is impossible to say much meaningful about the sensor or the camera.

Also, in skilled hands even a mediocre tool can produce stunning images - for some reason my images stink even though I have a rather nice tool Smile

(And no, I'm not calling gf1 mediocre - I'd love to have one for street shooting.)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey anu, it looks like me and you on a couple of fronts! you should have a look anyway at the posts i suggest because the point really is not about theory but about what the rendition actually looks like in whatever form. now my stuff stinks too, and we can argue about whose is worse, but my understanding is that one can look at actual prints from large and m4/3 sensors and not see a discernible difference. if so, then theory goes out the window, replaced by actual reality.
t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
but my understanding is that one can look at actual prints from large and m4/3 sensors and not see a discernible difference. if so, then theory goes out the window, replaced by actual reality.

There are differences, though, if one only shoots ISO 100 and avoids extreme range of brightness, even a pocket camera can provide comparable results to any DSLR.

But once one needs to operate beyond that range the differences between sensors start to mount.

However for most photography there is little meaningful difference between IQ and other qualities of the camera are more important. But when I have that black scrödinger's cat in the dark coal cellar, I do want to have the best possible tool to shoot it.