Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Elmarit 19mm & D700
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Elmarit 19mm & D700 Reply with quote

Old house

Anti-War Memorial

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep telling myself I really do not need to go to the D700, but these samples make it difficult...

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best superwide-angle lenses ever on one of the best DSLRs!
Wow!

The last shot ("Krieg") is amazing! So frightening, it fits the topic perfectly.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there HDR going on in the images? They have a strange look in my opinion, especially the second one.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Orio, no HDR, but because of the extreme wide-angle, there is often so much sky in the picture that you get overblown highlights that don't show any structure anymore. I tried to put the exposure point halfway between the very dark lower part and the very light sky, so that the sculpture wasn't completely black and the sky not completely overblown. What you may have taken for HDR is a little of PS's 'light and shadows' and to finish it some 'zeissification' (microcontrast 3) by you know whom.
This is only true for the second picture, the first one is almost as it came out of the camera. The colours are astonishing. It was a grey day (as you can see from the pictures of the sea-gulls I took with the 50mm Summicron), and the colours of these old buildings were pretty intense.

Thomas

Last edited by madamasu on Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice series, impressive #2
I have the same feeling as Orio
do you see all square in this test http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php
is it allowed to use zeissification with Leica lenses Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Thomas.
They are very colorful and contrasted.

About N°2, did you close the diaph at f16 or f22 to get such depth of field ?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Olivier,

I just checked the Exif-data again: @ f 5.6, 1/250 sec ISO 320.
Most Leica lenses are already sharp widen open.
The pictures with the old little Elmarit 28mm - for example - were all taken @ 2.8. With a wide-angle like the 19mm Elmarit you of course get a greater DOF and less vignetting.
I'm really very, very happy I can use my Leica-R lenses with the Leitax - bajonets on my D700. Many of them can be had now for comparatively low prices. My Summicron 50mm was € 240, the Elmarit 28mm (with the sun-shade, which costs a small fortune by itself) was € 260.

Thomas

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Thomas for this information.

I was quite surprised with this f:5.6.
This 19mm has a good depth of field. I didn't notice such a DOF using my AF 17-85mm.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Poilu, I can see all these squares on my screen. I have a Mac, but I changed the setting for the gamma, which is normally 1.8 for the Mac to 2.2, the normal setting for Windows PCs, as most people have these. When I viewmy pictures on a windows PC they don't look as high-key as they would with the lower gamma-setting.

Thomas

P.S. Thanks for the link. Very practical.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning pictures Thomas! Colors simple awesome ! I love really these so vivid colors!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your favourable comments.

Thomas

Last edited by madamasu on Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Thomas, your excellent images give me an impression that Leica-R lenses are worth trying on D700 camera. Mentioning wide lens I'd sacrifice AF for IQ. Perfect!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Don Martinello,

yes, Leica-R lenses are definitely worth trying on the D700. I had three (now I have five), which I bought for my R8, and didn't want to sell them cheaply over ebay or wheresoever. So the Leitax bajonets were a very good idea, which solved my problem. On Flickr is a leitax-group, where you can see more pictures taken with this combination:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1121344@N21/

The 28mm Elmarit - for example - gives high picture-quality, is light-weight and can be found relatively cheaply. The 50mm Summicron is also not too expensive, but that's a normal lense, of course.

Thomas