Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

EE-S alternative focusing screen for EOS cameras
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: EE-S alternative focusing screen for EOS cameras Reply with quote

I have just ordered a Canon EE-S focusing screen to replace the default screen of the 5D.
The difference is that while the standard screen is not a real microprism one, and renders a fake impression of the DOF (in order to allow the focusing of the slow autofocus zooms), the EE-S screen has real microprisms. This will render perfect DOF when focusing with manual lenses. Plus the 5D has a special preset for use of this screen, to make the exposure consistent.
The only drawback of the EE-S screen is that it becomes difficult to focus at f/4 or darker, because it has about one stop luminosity less than the standard screen.
But I only have very few lenses of f/4, most of them being long teles or super wides - the teles are easier anyway because of the large magnification, and for wides, the standard screen is also helpless, so I will lose nothing. For them I will always use the chipped adaptor anyway.

The cost of EE-S is 27 Euros in Italy, but it's cheaper in other countries (22 Euros on Amazon France, for instance). It is an affordable accessory anyway. I wanted to try this option before attempting more expensive alternatives.
I will let you know how it does.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find, Orio!

Let us participate in your experiences, please.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just mounted it.
Montage is simple and Canon provides with a custom montage tool that is very handy and will not damage the screens.

The difference is not immediately visible as you look through it (there is no microprism collar or split prism like in classic screens), but it becomes immediately obvious as you focus on something.

While the standard screen has a very slow and fading response to focus adjustment, making it very difficult to catch a precise focus point, the EE-S screen makes it immediately obvious when you have reached the precise focus, and if you move away even a little from it, you can notice it.
on the contrary, on the standard screen you have a larger "sort of focused" area inside which it's very difficult to pinpoint the precise focus, and you often can be slightly front or back focused.

Another positive remark is that the much feared darkness of viewfinder is mostly a myth. I could focus at f/8 using my Elmarit 180 and absolutely had no problem. This can not be at all a reason not to buy this accessory. At f/8, the standard screen may be a tad brighter, but on the other hand, it's a lot coarser, without being really bright, so there is nothing to lose with the replacement.

Mind, you still need a good sight to use this screen. The absence of the classical tools like the collar or the split line forces you to use all of your sight 20ths. But once you do, the focusing is going to improve 100% compared to standard screen.

My verdict is: if your eyesight is really bad, then you probably want to fork out the extra 200 Euros or so and buy a custom third party screen that offer more focusing helpers such as the split line.
But if your eyesight is still acceptable, then I can't see how you could do wrong with this accessory. It costs only 30 Euros, and it will save you hundreds (no, probably thousands) of photographs from the trash can.

My verdict is: if you own a 5D, or one of the compatible film reflex cameras, and you use it with manual lenses, and you don't spend 30 Euros on this accessory, you're completely insane. It will be worth every cent in the form of increase of number of successful pictures.

_

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of tests, using Summicron 50mm f/2 and focused with the screen only (no FA chip use):

The second one was taken in a really low light
Focus dead on where I wanted it to be, in both pictures.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

second one is amazed me really ! Congratulation!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
second one is amazed me really ! Congratulation!

Thanks.
A third test, focused on the front petals:

That too focused with the screen only.
This screen really allows for very high precision. It would have been impossible to make such a selective focus with the standard screen (if not by luck).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Old thread, but still actual Reply with quote

I have just replaced my focusing screen for an EF-S on my EOS 60D and was amazed by the result. Focusing accuracy improved dramaticaly Smile

And, what surprised me is, that meterning works now precisely (I changed the setting im menu to EF-S) so I dont have to underexpose by a certain value when not shooting wide open.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Old thread, but still actual Reply with quote

peterbako wrote:
I have just replaced my focusing screen for an EF-S on my EOS 60D and was amazed by the result. Focusing accuracy improved dramaticaly Smile
And, what surprised me is, that meterning works now precisely (I changed the setting im menu to EF-S) so I dont have to underexpose by a certain value when not shooting wide open.

great news Peter, EF-s is know to fix manual focus issues but they are still some who think about buying it