Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Does a misfocused image ever "work"?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes when we click we intend to take an image, but our camera takes a different one.... sometimes surprising... how many times this has happened to me? Countless.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I am blown away by this reception. Both for and against arguments are really amazing. Everyone has given me a lot to think about. There's almost too many points to individually respond to. I'd be here all day. Laughing Rest assured, I will have a lot in mind for my next outing with Stasia.

I am flattered that so many actually like the photo and see something more in it. But because my intention was different when I took the photo, it takes away from it for me. So much of art is about intention. The Suprematism art movement on the surface was just painted geometric shapes but Malevich transformed that into a statement on human perspective and emotion.
Like Orio said, I could "sell" the photo as deliberate. But I know that's not true. Maybe it doesn't matter...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
because my intention was different when I took the photo, it takes away from it for me. So much of art is about intention

It shouldn't take away. The most exciting aspect of photography is the unexpected. The best feelings are unexpected. Life is unexpected. It's our wonder in passing through it that makes it worth.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
themoleman342 wrote:
because my intention was different when I took the photo, it takes away from it for me. So much of art is about intention

It shouldn't take away. The most exciting aspect of photography is the unexpected. The best feelings are unexpected. Life is unexpected. It's our wonder in passing through it that makes it worth.

+1!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

The most exciting aspect of photography is the unexpected. The best feelings are unexpected. Life is unexpected. It's our wonder in passing through it that makes it worth.

wow, well said!

about the photo:
I love the lines of her hand, like very much her somewhat mysterious smile and like the lines of her hair.
But the eye haunts me and to me, maybe augmented by the background, makes the whole image a bit creepy.
So I battle with the feeling it gives me but certainly it stirs emotions, very good if a photo can achieve this Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to notice the 50/50 division among the viewers. I like the picture and when I showed it to my girlfriend without expressing my view first, she said that she would like to have the girl in focus. To me, this picture, with the girl in focus, would be just another pretty picture. As it is, the picture is different and eye-catching. The first time you see this picture you decide if you like it or not, and since it is a question of focus de-focus it is hard to change your mind again.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had to imagine how spirits (phantoms) look, I would imagine them as blurred entities in a very focused and sharp world.
I think this image has some otherworldly undertones, too.
And the fact that she seems to listen to the tree, enhances that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:
To me, this picture, with the girl in focus, would be just another pretty picture. As it is, the picture is different and eye-catching.

I agree. Different, eye-catching and enigmatic.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is misfocused one or should I say slow shutter - 1/60 -
Those red-winged black birds are darn fast. Did I mention territorial too? I've been attacked a few times.
Does it qualify?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a photo from yesteryears, Sorin. Dreamy like, yes, I like.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that blackbird pic. Nothing wrong there! Smile

Rather than continuing the hijack, I'll post some dove photos in C&C - non-standard focus, motion blur + camera movement, are they still photos Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go ahead Jussi.
Let us be the judges Very Happy