Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Do you like these onions? (C&C)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Do you like these onions? (C&C) Reply with quote

Or is it over the top? I am not sure yet.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see it unprocessed.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first glance nice, if we start pixel peeping less nice , I suggest to you make some variant what you like and we can vote.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the onions in the bowl and the bowl itself. Those tones and contrasts don't seem to be over the top. The cloth and stray onion are over processed to the point of causing my eyes to strain. Also no sold on the cylinder in the background.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comparing to the unprocessed one you have overcooked it and the towel near the onion just looks a mess.
I like the black and white but try it a different way
Maybe something more like this

Orio
after your comments here is another amended version removing most of what you described on the onion

Last edited by eddieitman on Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, my objection is with the lighting.
You have a rim light, and a main light. The problem is that they don't fit.
In order to use one main light and one rim light, you need to make the rim light coming from
the approximate same direction as the main light. It must be consistent with it.
The fact is that the rim light is perceived by the viewer not as a full light, but as an accent of the main light.
So it must be consistent with it.
If you want to keep it in an opposite position, you need to use a third light, that should be placed not further away
than 45° from the rim light. This third light will become your main light, and the existing main light will become a fill light
(and will have to be lowered in power for that).
The contradiction in your current scheme is already evident when you consider that the strongest light point in your scene
is the rim light, yet, the deepest shadow is the one cast by the main light over the bowl.
This, in the eye of the viewer, does not work.
After your post work, the problem becomes even worse, because the increase in contrast creates a really dark area immediately
next to the rim light, which contradicts it, and fights against a believable perception of the scene.

My 2 cents of course.

POST SCRIPTUM: Eddie Leitmans' version proves the points above. He cut out the shadow from the bowl. This way, the impact
of the main light is really diminished, and might feel more like a fill light (as it should be).
Still not everything is consistent (a strong light accent on the onion remains), but it works better.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the color version and lighting.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your comments and explanations. This is so helpful.

What i tried to create was the 'feel' of a painting but maintaining the detail of a photograph. The square crop was made because of the shadow of the garlic, wich i didn't like. Now the lighting issue is pointed out, i also see the inconsistency.

I'll go and shoot it again, maybe tomorrow. I think i quite like the postprocessing i did, except in the highlights. I'll have to work on that too.

Again, thanks everybody for your comments, this and practice is the best learning method.

Greetings.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave it a try, I liked the red towel with the red/brownish onions and flask.

I saturated all other colors out.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose I'm a simple person; I still prefer the original color version... and think it's quite good.