Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Do certain films and lens makes compliment each other?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Do certain films and lens makes compliment each other? Reply with quote

I have noticed that the results I get using Agfa Vista 200 and Minolta AF lenses have a certain quality that I am really pleased with. I can't pin down exactly what it is, but to me it is special. I feel the same way about Vista 200 matched with my Auto Rokkor PF 1.8/55 too.

Using this film with other makes such as Zuiko and Nikon/Nikkor, while satisfactory, just don't seem to have that certain "edge".

Am I imagining things or is there a known extraordinary relationship between films and lenses?

Some examples (may not be the most arty shots) which have especially pleased me:

1 Auto Rokkor 1.8/55

Sheep, Boats, Lake by skida, on Flickr

2 Minolta AF 4/35-70

Flowers 2 by skida, on Flickr

3 Minolta AF 3.5-4.5/35-75

How College Street got its name? by skida, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have many Minolta lenses and shoot mostly on Vista 200. I think it is the high contrast of the film and the low(ish) contrast of the lenses that work well together.

Although to be fair I dont think I use any other lenses with film...

edit. No I have used Nikkors and Zuikos too but not with this film.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting results\theory and agree a lens can\could contribute, but I find on some subjects Vista is excellent but others it can look "cheapish" and I couldn't be bothered doing experiments for Vista\lens\subject when I have plenty of Superia 200, Reala and some Kodak Gold...which are overall better films. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Vista became available at Poundland, I have used it more than other films, so have had a chance to compare it with many different lenses. I also think it works well with the two Tamron Zooms I have on my Minoltas - one MD fit and one AF. I haven't tried Superior with AF yet but have with the MF Minoltas and again the results seemed to have special qualities compared to with other lenses: I put that down to being further evidence of the suspected Vista/Superior relationship.

Kodak Gold 200, I have found, seems to bring out the qualities of the Zuikos and Helios 44s. Maybe the colour rendering of the lens has something to do with how well it works with a film.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely the image quality is a combination of lens performance, lighting, and film qualities.
The combination of these factors may be more or less pleasing to the individuals.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of examples of Gold 200 with Zuiko 50 (I have had good results with the Zuiko 75-150 too, but haven't got them on Flickr):

1 Zuiko 1.8/50

Gateway to Tynemouth Pier by skida, on Flickr

2 Zuiko 1.8/50

Merchants Houses on the Walls by skida, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Surely the image quality is a combination of lens performance, lighting, and film qualities.
The combination of these factors may be more or less pleasing to the individuals.

Maybe I am just trying to justify my persevering with film when all around seems to be digital. Laughing

I usually take two cameras out with me on and expedition and on the occasions I have had the same film in both cameras, and taken similar shots, I have noticed the differences which led me to my theory.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that different films work differently with different camera and lens combinations. Some of it may be an individual camera's exact shutter speed or meter, but I do think a lot is lens-film communication. Understanding that all lenses move light in slightly different ways, it stands to reason that different films, which see light in different ways, would be more or less receptive to different lenses. For a digital example of this, look at how some lenses cause purple fringing on digital images. The sensor is seeing the light that way whereas from an identical lens from a different maker it may not see exhibit purple fringing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense to me David. I remember being told that with colour film, you could tell the strengths of a film by the colour of the box, eg. Fuji = Strong Greens, Kodak = Yellows and Reds (though I don't remember whether Konica gave great blues). So maybe the lenses either compliment or neutralise the colour bias.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

different lenses also transmit colors differently. I tested two 55mm lenses a few years ago. The Mamiya transmitted colors with a stronger green cast while the Vivitar (Kino) made everything slightly bluer.