Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Disappointment
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Disappointment Reply with quote

I've now scanned some of the first colour shots I took with the Yashica-Mat on my trip to Holland in October. The camera is great fun to use and I was asked about it a couple of times by strangers, which was nice. But the results from the Velvia 50 are way too saturated for my taste:

I had to lighten this a little due I think to metering more of the sky than the land, but apart from that I haven't changed anything in the scan except the size. This shot was taken at the same time with my Flek 2.8/20 on the 400D

Honest opinions please. I've always been a Kodachrome man but processing is a pain now. Does anyone know how Ektachrome E100 compares?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First one is not real over saturated on bad way ...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed saturation, when sky is pretty ok landscape goes to b&w Sad

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably nostalgia, but I happen to like the first pic. Reminds me of
how the pics looked in National Geographic, etc, in the early 60'[s.

Oversaturated good, Bill like! Laughing

Not to say I don't understand Peter's disappointment, looks like more experiments with different film.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Velvia 50 is not good for landscapes in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Peter, that's the Velvia look.
I also only like it in suitable situations, like an autumn shot in a forest. This can blow you away.

Peter, you should try the Kodak Portra 160 NC.
The VC version produces strong colours (rather similar to the Velvia) but the NC version, which is perfect for portraits, shows less saturation and thus would surely be a film you like.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/products/films/portra/portraIndex.jhtml?id=0.1.18.14.13.14&lc=en

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
looks like more experiments with different film.

I was lucky to find a box of 5 rolls of Ektachrome E100G (135) going cheap and the first roll is going through my K2 right now, so it will be interesting to compare. The Yash-Mat is halfway through another roll of Velvia at present, so I'll see if I can find some really colourless subjects and finish it off - no shortage of them at present with this dull weather!

LucisPictor wrote:
Yes, Peter, that's the Velvia look.
I also only like it in suitable situations, like an autumn shot in a forest. This can blow you away.

Right! I don't think I want to be blown away any more, I just want colors to look as natural as possible. The remaining three rolls will now wait till next autumn then. Smile

I remember years ago trying a roll of Agfa slide film, and the pics all had a strong magenta cast. I never bought another roll of Agfa, and I'm feeling the same about Fujifilm now.

Thanks for the info on Portra, that's a new one to me. I'll certainly give it a try, but it's a colour neg film and I'm keen to get back to slides as well as prints. The Portra 160 NC blurb about colours and skin tones is almost exactly the same as the blurb for Ektachrome E100 G, so I think I'll wait to see how this turns out.

@Attila - I've also tried reducing the saturation a little but I don't get results I like. I think there might be a better way to do it, possibly working on separate channels, so I'm going to have a play around and see what I can come up with. Chris bought me a great big heavy book about PS techniques for Christmas, so I'll dive into it and see what I can come up with.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope it will works for you I just do a quick try, because I was curious.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont touch the saturation - try the White balance levels. It looks to me as though the WB has not got it quite right and that is why when you try saturation you get changes throughout the picture - I suspect you have WB too high, try lowering it a bit and see what happens. Use that in conjunction with tint - not saturation. Saturation kills almost as many pics as sharpening

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a GOOD note, your scan is absolutely TERRIFIC for sharpness!

Yeah, Velvia has its place, and its WONDERFUL for the right subjects. I've certainly made my "mistakes" with using it in the wrong places - the desert southwest with its strong orange colors comes to mind.

Provia has been a fantastic film for many of my slides - perhaps a tiny bit more saturated than I wanted, but awfully close to "true".

The deep forest has been good for Velvia (for me), because the colors can be muted in there, and the Velvia seems to bring them closer to "what I see".

I look forward to more shots from your Yashica! And, of course don't need to call it 'disappointment'! Call it 'different' is all! Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
On a GOOD note, your scan is absolutely TERRIFIC for sharpness!

Thanks very much, that makes me happier! Smile I think the setting was 4800. I used Digital ICE on this and when I compare it to an "ordinary" scan I can see the dust and marks that have been removed. Fantastic difference!

Quote:
Yeah, Velvia has its place, and its WONDERFUL for the right subjects. I've certainly made my "mistakes" with using it in the wrong places - the desert southwest with its strong orange colors comes to mind.

Provia has been a fantastic film for many of my slides - perhaps a tiny bit more saturated than I wanted, but awfully close to "true".

The deep forest has been good for Velvia (for me), because the colors can be muted in there, and the Velvia seems to bring them closer to "what I see".

I look forward to more shots from your Yashica! And, of course don't need to call it 'disappointment'! Call it 'different' is all! Wink

Well, thanks, it was a disappointment but you live and learn. Anyway, I took some B&W pics of Holland too. Smile

I've got 4 rolls of Pan F to use up before the developer goes stale, so that will be next.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two shots from the second roll of Velvia 50 scanned with the V700. I'm much happier with the colour this time, but both shots were a little underexposed and I had to "rescue" them as best I could in PS, so I'm suspecting the camera meter is inaccurate.

1 - Boatyard on the Thames at Bourne End:

2 - Old deserted cottage near my home.

I've only included this to show how much better the colour is on this roll. The cottage is a precious example of local construction, probably built about 1800. The slated roof means it was built after the local canal was opened, and the walls are built of flints which continually come up through the soil in the fields on our chalk hills. It has a timber lean-to barn at the back where a horse or two, a cow and probably some pigs would have been "stabled" during the winter in former times. All the old windows and doors are still there and even an old fence and front porch of iron framing. It's rapidly deteriorating now (not helped by the ivy on the front wall) and I wanted to photograph it before it gets any worse. Late afternoon lighting in January isn't helpful and I'm not at all happy with this shot - I'll probably take it again in a few weeks time.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the first one I really can't recognize this is a scanned picture... Looks you get a very nice scanner.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Attila. I'm very pleased with the results now I'm a getting bit more familiar with this scanner. This was scanned at 3200. All I need now is some of Laurence's talent Smile

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems you are going on good path!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering, is it possible the different colour tone and depth could be due to the processing? The second roll was done by a different lab.