Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cyclop 85mm f1.2 night vision device lens first try
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Cyclop 85mm f1.2 night vision device lens first try Reply with quote

How can I use this lens better ? DOF is very thin I made a couple of variants.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting result from this lens, the bokeh is rather unusual, I haven't seen teardrop-shaped oof highlights before.

#2 is my favourite, you did a great job on the PP, congrats.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the three, I like the last for its dreamy look. You've taken this beautiful subject matter with
better lenses, though. Smile The bokeh looks OK on the left, but in the color one (especially) it looks
like she's about to be attacked by some space monster from the right. Laughing Just my opinion...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Of the three, I like the last for its dreamy look. You've taken this beautiful subject matter with
better lenses, though. Smile The bokeh looks OK on the left, but in the color one (especially) it looks
like she's about to be attacked by some space monster from the right. Laughing Just my opinion...

Laughing Laughing unique lens character for sure

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree actually, those teardrop-shaped highlights are distracting and do look a bit like an alien. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer #3 because the "alien" does not look so alien.

Strange that is picking up the white more prominently. Do you have any photo taken of it at night - low light condition? Perhaps the lens was meant for low light and not normal day light condition since it is a f1.2 lens?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:
I prefer #3 because the "alien" does not look so alien.

Strange that is picking up the white more prominently. Do you have any photo taken of it at night - low light condition? Perhaps the lens was meant for low light and not normal day light condition since it is a f1.2 lens?

yes it made for only night vision lighted by UV reflector, in low light I couldn't focus well and if I could rest of image was pretty awful.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were these images taken in direct light or shadow? I would try it out in strong shadows or inside the house not really low light.Just a thought... Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's suitable for photography at all Attila, sorry. Sad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
I tend to agree, although it may have some use as soft focus/shallow DOF arty shots (if that's your thing).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

I don't agree, not suitable for my kind of photography but I am sure many artist can use such mood
I prefer #2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Cyclop 85mm f1.2 night vision device lens first try Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
How can I use this lens better ? DOF is very thin

I think the same "precautions" as for wide open use of f/1.4 lenses do apply:

- avoid backgrounds busy with highlights (such as the background of this photo)
Look for flat background instead, or for low contrast light.

- beware of parasite lights, always use hood

- when photographing portraits, use tripod when possible.
This because even a small movement can put focus off mark. When photographing hand-held,
there are two movement factors to consider: yours, and the subject's.
By setting camera on tripod, you cut chances of missed focus by a 50%

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Cyclop 85mm f1.2 night vision device lens first try Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
How can I use this lens better ? DOF is very thin I made a couple of variants.

Hi attila,

How did you adapt the lens into nex?