Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CS6 beta available
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: CS6 beta available Reply with quote

I am downloading it at the moment.

I do not know if it can be installed parallely to existing versions. Adobe says several versions can cohabitate.
The beta version runs until some time in spring 2012 when the final release is published.

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/photoshopcs6.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downloading it also, I hope it won't mess with my CS5 installation.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great! waiting to see your new bokehs Wink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Downloading it also, I hope it won't mess with my CS5 installation.

Yes, that's what I'm also afraid of. I use an edu-licenced CS4 but don't want to re-install it. Confused

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, bokeh feature. Does it mean the price of the large aperture lens will be reduced? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:
Wow, bokeh feature. Does it mean the price of the large aperture lens will be reduced? Rolling Eyes

Probably not, more likely CS6 will cost the same as CS5 + the price of large aperture lens Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hope it's better than CS5 in memory handling, I've almost given up using CS5 because even with 8 gigs of RAM it is bloody awful for working on large images.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am delighted by the speed of processing of CS5, and my computer is absolutely ordinary (nothing special).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my laptop (i5, 6 GB...) CS6 runs as fast as my version of CS4 and starts much faster (but that's due to the lack of additional filters Wink).

A parallel co-habitation seems to be possible. And depsite three error messages after the installation the basic features seem to work well.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I am delighted by the speed of processing of CS5, and my computer is absolutely ordinary (nothing special).

I have major problems with it, even working on 14mp images after working on 7 or 8 with the usual PP - tweaking of contrast and brightness, then sharpening using NIK output sharpener it runs out of memory and tells me it has insufficient memory to save the file in JPEG format so I have to restart the program. Checking with Task Manager I see CS5 using 80% of my available memory at this point, so it seems to me it isn't freeing up memory space it has previously used.

It's an absolute nightmare working on large stitched images, often these can be 100-150mp and CS5 is usually unable to save these images in JPEG format (same not enough memory message) so I have to save them as TIFF or PSD then turn into a JPEG afterwards using Irfanview or ACDSee. It's also very hit and miss trying to run filters on images this size, more often than not it give an error due to not enough memory, half the time CS5 crashes. ACDSee will happily sharpen images this size so why CS5 won't is beyond me.

I'm running Win 7 x64 with 8gigs of RAM, a pair of 3Ghz dual core Xeons and a u320 SCSI drive system using a pair of 147GB 15k drives striped for speed, CS5's scratch disk resides on this u320 striped partition.

If I could find a program that had the ability to warp images and run the NIK plugins I'd happily say goodbye to CS5, it would reduce my stress levels when doing PP by a large factor.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed the beta, I wanted to check the new deblur plugin, but it isn't there. Major bummer!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested to hear about it's memory handling

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I'm interested to hear about it's memory handling

Since your system seems to have a peculiar problem with Photoshop, you should try the beta directly.
I can tell you that so far, it seems to me just as smooth as CS5, but how useful can this remark be for you when CS5 is not smooth for you?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, good point, I will try the Beta, it will soon be apparent if the memory handling is no better.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Ian:

Apologies if this is a granny sucking eggs question, but have you checked in Photoshop preferences under memory and image cache, how much RAM it's set to use? I'm still buggering around with Photoshop 7 on a 7 year old laptop so am unaware of the CS5 layout as it won't run on my archaic gear.

Higher the percentage, the more it takes and you can guess the rest when it does.

Maybe worth a wee look?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've played with that and set everything to max, when looking in Task Manager it's not uncommon to see something like 7,123 as the memory being used by Photoshop.

I'm going to do a clean install on my PC sometime in the next few days, I'm thinking I'll add the spare 73GB u320 15K SCSI disk I have as a dedicated scratch disk for Photoshop, see if that makes any difference.

I've tried googling to see if anyone else is having the same problem with CS5 and not found anything particularly relevant.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Setting it to max could be your problem as by doing so you leave no memory for the rest of the system and PS will take all it can if you let it.

Before you reinstall everything, try limiting Photoshop's memory usage to 60% and see if that works.

Sounds perverse but it may be worth a try if you haven't already.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point, it was already giving me big problems before i changed the settings, turning it up to max made a very slight improvement but not much, I played with the settings a bit.

I just think it's got crappy memory handling and doesn't free up memory it has used so after a while you run out of ram and have to restart the damn programme.

8 gigs should be ample RAM to deal with a 100mp image, but with CS5 it doesn't seem to be.

I'll persevere with it and try the CS6 Beta I just downloaded...