Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax Zeiss Planars 85 1.4 & 1.2 60 years, extras, pics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Contax Zeiss Planars 85 1.4 & 1.2 60 years, extras, pics Reply with quote

Hi All,

First up:

I am selling a near mint copy of the classic, manual Zeiss 1.4/85 Planar with Leitax M42 reversible replacement mount and chipped James Lao M42/Alpha adapter. Includes the Contax Type 4 Metal Hood and 67/88 Ring (virtually new in appearance, with no signs of wear), original mount (fully reversible), B+W UV filter and a copy of the user guide. I will offer it here for $825 obo + shipping.

Typically, the lens sells for around $750 alone. The hood and ring sell for minimum $50, up to $100 in new condition. The mount replacement is over $100 after shipping and the James Lao adapter is also $50 after shipping. For safety, the lens includes and has continually had on it while in my possession, a B+W F-Pro UV filter for protection - Additional $40 value. Hence I feel the asking price is fair for both buyer and seller.

The only detracting point to speak of is the surgical removal of 1 of the four screw heads for the mount. It was so tight from the factory (and being as small as they are) I had not choice but to dremel the head to remove the original mount. Do note that the mount is sound and solid as is. I am currently locating a Metric 1.7 screw locally to eliminate the issue - might be fixed by sale.

pics:

- note the top left screw, as above.

Sample shots from this lens:

Second up:

Second, my 'spare' copy of the Contax Zeiss 1.2/85 60 year Planar. I had sourced one out for myself after a couple of years of nosing about only to have another fall in my lap while waiting to receive the first in the post. I've been 'selling' it on eBay for almost a year, but after many ridiculously low-ball offers, attempted scams and a vanishing buyer I'm trying the forums again.

The lens itself was recently recalibrated by Zeiss to 2005 tolerances and includes the certificate of the work done. The sale includes:

- Contax Zeiss T*85/1.2 lens - Optically perfect, lens function and body as new, signs of light use on bayonet.
- Contax 80mm metal push on lens cap - As new.
- Contax leather lens bag - As new.
- Contax metal Type 4 hood - New in original box (includes 77-86 metal Contax step-up ring).
- Owners guide and documents pertaining to the 7-point inspection done by Zeiss in 2005.

I am asking to clear $4800 USD on this lens, in order to recoup my original purchase price. I have an original box as well I would include if desired for $100 (not sold seperately).

pics:

-shown here with original box, and again below

samples photos from my sister copy:

Local deals and pick-ups absolutely preferred, but shipping worldwide is perfectly welcome. I am willing to work with you to get you the lens(es) the most economical way possible and prefer to work payment via bank transfer. Paypal will cost me too much on this.

Any an all questions answered and reasonable offers considered.

Thanks for looking.

Kelly Sereda.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

two great lenses!

i'd love to get my hands on the 1.2 but my funds for this month have already been spent on other equipment Rolling Eyes

best of luck with the sale mate, very nice sample pictures here

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Contax Zeiss Planars 85 1.4 & 1.2 60 years, extras, Reply with quote

thePiRaTE!! wrote:
I am willing to work with you to get you the lens(es) the most economical way possible

My suggestion: do absolutely require that the lens is shipped with top of the line Fed-Ex or UPS service.
You do not want to committ this lens to a regular mail service, just for your buyer to save a 20-30 dollars. Trust me.
As a seller, you want to feel safe about shipping even more than the buyer does.
Also pretend that in case of return, the lens is shipped back to you using the same top of the line service, and when you receive it,
open it in front of the Fed-Ex or UPS guy. Give him a tip to wait for you a couple of minutes (as they are usually time pressed),
but by all means do make him/her watch as you open the package and verify the content.
Another suggestion: if you get paid by Paypal, transfer the funds to your bank immediately, and only after the money has appeared on your bank account, do actually ship the lens.

Such a lovely lens. I have one, but I'd gladly buy another, if I had the money, just for the pleasure of it Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Hari and Orio for the kind words and sage advice.

Fwiw, when I pack and ship a lens, I take pics of the process and provide them to a buyer for peace of mind. When I shipped my copy of the lens to and from Spain to have a custom A-mount from Leitax, I simply did the fastest guaranteed service with a low value both to save (major) money (hundreds in insurance and CUSTOMS - uhhgg) and to avoid anyone being interested in a very valuable package. It was an international 2 day service - somewhat nervous, but flawless and well tracked. I would do the same again.

Regards,

K.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:55 am    Post subject: Contax 85mm f1.4 Reply with quote

Would you be interested in a swap for a Sony mount Angenieux 35-70mm in good condition for your lens (yes really - a Sony mount Angeniueux bespoke engineered) I can sort out the screw issue as I posses some spare 1.7 screws. Do you say you have a Leitax Sony alpha mount as part of the sale ??
Cheers. Malcolm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Contax 85mm f1.4 Reply with quote

MalcolmL wrote:
Would you be interested in a swap for a Sony mount Angenieux 35-70mm in good condition for your lens (yes really - a Sony mount Angeniueux bespoke engineered) I can sort out the screw issue as I posses some spare 1.7 screws. Do you say you have a Leitax Sony alpha mount as part of the sale ??
Cheers. Malcolm

Hello Malcolm,

Thanks for the query. The mount by Leitax is M42 - a chipped James Lao M42 to Alpha adapter seals the deal. Yes, I had intended these items to be included with the listed sale price.

I hadn't really looked much into this Angenieux before, but a cursory search turns up an interesting temptation. I wish it had a 'macro mode' like the Contax Zeiss 3.4/35-70 so I could match the versatility of that lens and shake things up - there is much to like about the Angenieux - but I'm leaning toward a cash sale at the moment.

Perhaps you could PM me some pics/details on your lens for consideration?

Regards,

Kelly.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Angenieux 35-70mm f2.5-3.3 for possible swap Reply with quote

Hi Kelly - I have been unable to do a personal reply so I will post some details here::
The lens will close up to about a 1:5 "macro". The lens cost me in all 840 USD - that is without my consderable labour time (gratis)
Link to review of the lens::

http://homepages.caverock.net.nz/~bj/zuiko/1479470.htm

Malcolm

footnote - I HAVE DECIDED TO OFFER THIS LENS UP FOR GENERAL SALE ANYWAY