Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax G Vario-Sonnar 35-70. Any experience?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Contax G Vario-Sonnar 35-70. Any experience? Reply with quote

I love the Contax/Yashica version of this lens.
I would say it is my favourite Zeiss out of MANY ones.
It is the lens that has given me most of my superb 3D images.

However, it appears a bit bulky on a Sony a7 (the adapter adds quite a bit to it).

Has anyone used the Contax G version of the lens?
I found nothing about it in the forum.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The G lens has a completely different optical scheme than the Contax lens.
They are two completely different lenses and the difference in speed (f/3.5-5.6 versus a fixed f/3.4) should tell it all.
I never bought the 35-70 G because it is expensive and it does not have a good reputation for image quality.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No experience either but it seem to gather mixed comments and appreciation on the net, and I guess that is the reason you are aking here.

Ken Rockwell
Quote:
They were never popular because they don't focus close enough and have a very slow f/stop. Slow lenses are fine for digital, but for a film camera, an f/5.6 lens is silly.

Ergonimics are poor: it's difficult to feel which ring is the aperture and which ring is the zoom while shooting.

This one seems to like it
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3125427

Same here
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1082473

Overall seem great but stop down and not too much wide open. I guess it would depend on the usage you are looking for the lens?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need a lightweight walk around lens.
My emphasis is on the wide side.
Else, the 50mm Planar C/Y and the 90mm Contax G are good enough and light.

I find the 35-70 G lens it quite expensive, too.
And I don't like the 5.6 aperture compared to a constant 3.4-aperture lens with good macro capabilities.
However, its MTF does not look that bad compared to the C/Y lens.
I mostly shoot landscapes.

Probably the best would be the new Zeiss 24-70 f4 OSS Sony will release soon (450 gr).
But I hate to buy yet another expensive lens.
Especially if Sony won't publish the MTF (AFAIK).

I will probably stick with the good old C/Y VarioSonnar Wink

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikos wrote:

Just got it myself as I wanted a good quality zoom to replace my Tamron 28-75. I decided to use the 5D for composure and my 40D for sports. Hence, I don`t need AF for composure and for indoor with not a lot of light I have the Summicron 50 f2.

As for the weight, everything is a question of perspective. The combo a7-C/Y Vario Sonnar may look heavy, but consider it against 5D with a 24-70 f2.8 II and suddenly, it looks like a light weight combo.

Wink

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nainsurvolte wrote:
Nikos wrote:

As for the weight, everything is a question of perspective. The combo a7-C/Y Vario Sonnar may look heavy, but consider it against 5D with a 24-70 f2.8 II and suddenly, it looks like a light weight combo.

Wink

Well, the VarioSonnar has replaced my Canon 24-70 since 2011.
The problem is, with 5D2 I also carry along the 21mm Distagon ZE.
This is an overkill for the cute little a7r.
And the gap from 21mm to 35mm is huge.

If hope my C Biogon 21mm will work fine in the next version of the camera.
I will keep this lens. No matter what.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Contax G Vario-Sonnar 35-70. Any experience? Reply with quote

Nikos wrote:
However, it appears a bit bulky on a Sony a7 (the adapter adds quite a bit to it).

you just have to get used to this... I use the A7 with LAE-A4 and SAL-1635Z.. now that's bulky! Very Happy