Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Close-ups with a Nikkor 35/1.4 AIS
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Close-ups with a Nikkor 35/1.4 AIS Reply with quote

Here are some tulip shots with a Nikkor 35/1.4 AI-S, to test the close-up capabilities of this lens.

1. Wide open

2. Wide open with the PK-13 ring (27,5 mm extension) - too close for comfort

3. Wide open with K2 + K3 rings (10,8 mm extension)

4. Wide open with K2 + K3 rings (10,8 mm extension)

No PP applied, just resizing.

This lens is from member BenediktW (Thanks!). More difficult to focus than my 35/2 (which I sold to member Alex/hk300), but the KatzEye screen helps a lot. I don´t use the green focus confirmation dot any more, because it is not exact enough.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The surreal quality of the second shot is amazing...creamy.

All shots are fantastic. I used this lens quite a lot back in the early nineties for a lot of close shot candid potraitures in B&W.

Thanks for sharing

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I would say that is a bit over stretching that lenses capabilities.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good focusing at this 1.4 aperture.

However, the 35mm f/1.4 is mainly noted for is dreamy (ie, blurry) rendition. Its not a sharp lens wide open. It needs to be stopped down to f/2 to f/2.8 at minimum to deliver crisp results.

But perhaps crispness is not what you were seeking (in which case this may be a good lens choice).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the first image.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#4 for me

I tend to like macro shots with a bit of creamy blur to them. To me they are a bit more interesting than shots that are razor sharp. Post more Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see perfectly focused shots in any nursery catalog. These are from the photographer's view point and appreciated by me.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments.

Chris is right, I didn´t try to find best possible sharpness, but a very shallow DOF with acceptable sharpness in the focus point. Soft fields of clour with some sharp details.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: 35/1/4 Nikkor Reply with quote

I think picture #2 is very impressive indeed - congratulations on recognising that pushing a lens outside its designer's intentions can produce stunning images! Art triumphs over technology once in a while ...