Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FD Macro 55mm 1:3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Canon FD Macro 55mm 1:3.5 Reply with quote

Hello !
some days ago I received my first macro lens . Canon FD 50 macro . good shape , 35 E plus transport . I have to order an adaptor for my nex but until then , here it is ( shot taken with Hexanon 24):

the aperture is closed at half way since I don't have an adaptor or body to open it wide . Strange mount , this FD !!!
First picture , at 3200 1/80 sec handhels on a md/nex adaptor:

does someone hve experience with this lens ?

Last edited by yinyangbt on Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this lens mainly with my Canon FD Auto Bellows.

FD 3.5/55mm <> FD Auto Bellows <> FD to EOS adapter w/o glass <> cam
and tripod etc.

Here few samples. First the scenery with EF 2.8/100mm macro USM next with the combo described above. All shots with 5DMKII. No crops.

You can see DOF is near zero and even with LV not easy to find a focus.

Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Canon FD Macro 55mm 1:3.5 Reply with quote

yinyangbt wrote:
Hello !
some days ago I received my first macro lens . Canon FD 55 macro . good shape , 35 E plus transport.

does someone hve experience with this lens ?

That's a good price for this this lens in such a nice condition. I have used it a lot on a 40D and I think it's an excellent lens. Works well even for some butterflies. It's nice that it weighs only 235g and still has great build quality.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am assuming that since it is a macro lens you don't need infinity reach so the glassless FD adapters would do just fine, right?

Nice photos by the way, wanna see more!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChromaticAberration wrote:
I am assuming that since it is a macro lens you don't need infinity reach so the glassless FD adapters would do just fine, right?

Nice photos by the way, wanna see more!

Yes, I have used it with a macro adapter (without corrective lens) for macro only on the 40D. With the NEX you will get infinity focus of course.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a sigma 105 macro lens which I sold because I wasn't getting any pleasure from it. Then I started playing with MF lenses and realised that I was kinda getting macro effect.

So I've just splashed out on this CANON FL FD 50mm F/3.5 MACRO LENS.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270751313120&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I've not had time to do more than make sure it stops correctly and I don't see myself converting it to EOS mount - maybe the bellows but let's wait and see.

Good luck with your new purchase.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned the new FD 50/3.5 macro -- just like yours -- back in the 80s and early 90s when I was shooting a lot of FD stuff. I also owned a Canon Auto Bellows back then and used my 50/3.5 with it, including slide duplication. It worked great for that. Following are some slide dupe I made with my digital duplicating rig.

Japanese money:

I think these are called "Forget Me Nots." I still remember taking this shot back in 1985 or so. I was hand-holding the camera/lens in a very awkward position. When I first got the slides back, I thought I'd missed focus, until I realized the details at the very core of the flowers were sharp.

A "still life" I composed back in 1989.

From a walk in the woods, Caldwell, Texas, 1986.

Works great as a portrait lens if your model doesn't mind counting the pores in her face.

Well controlled flare, too.

To sum it up, the Canon 50 macro is as good as any, and better than most, and is still often underpriced for what it is.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have this lens & find it comparable to my Minolta Celtic 50/3.5 macro. However, I prefer the canon because it is lighter & for that reason only. I have acquired 15 & 25mm tubes for it & prefer to use the 15mm for the working distance even though it does not yield full 1:1 magnification.