Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FD 135 f3.5 SC
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Canon FD 135 f3.5 SC Reply with quote

Hi

Just held the lens on the camera body - 5DmkII

and oops! - this one is a crop - and quite heavy ..

The lens was wide open.. next samples coming soon

tf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive! Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, great photo!
nice colors and sharpness

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful Stan, or we will hold you single handedly responsible for increasing the average selling price of all FD lenses Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, realy impressive Shocked ...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you, guys!

I was shocked a bit by that lens as I had not been expecting too much..

FD's are still on good offer - well, particular ones are getting crazy but still very good ...

and more samples from yesterday..

and yes! note the bokeh ! Cool

4 - heavy, heavy crop

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remarkable sharpness Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon FD lenses are "BARGEN" today, since they are well made, normally
very sharp, no plastic in older FD lenses (not new FDs, which is easier to
mount/dismount just like today SLR lenses).

Only gripe is no dSLR for this lens without modifying lenses or mount
replacement of Canon dSLR possibly.

I have relatively recently collected 24mm to 200mm lenses, I cannot use
over 200mm. Confused

They are generally very good even FD 135/2.5 SC, I guess FD 50/1.2 is
not great (I think FD 50/1.4 is better except speed). Probably FD 135/2
is quite good, though I have no experience with this lens.

Even FD 85/1.2L (aspherical) is bargen comparing with Contax Planer
85/1.2's price, however I cannot afford any of those. Crying or Very sad

Keep showing FD lenses and their images please....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sting and koji -- thanks

@ koji == did you find the nFD 50 f1.2 not as good as 50 f1.4?

I have never tried the FD 50 f1.4 but I have tried the FD 50 f1.2L and FD 50 f1.2 and I must say I would be happy with the FD 50 f1.2 even more than with the 'L' version ...

I also found the FD 50 f1.2 sharper at f1.2 than Contax Distagon at f1.4

Koji = how would you compare the Planar 1.2/55 to any of these FDs:

FD 55 1.2 SSC
FD 55 f1.2 ASPH
nFD 50 f1.2

I am really curious to hear that Canon would be a good competitor to such a titan - Contax 1.2/55

Thanks

tf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my difficult questions!

I would rank in sharpness wise nFD 50/1.4 > nFD 50/1.2
nFD50/1.4 has more contrast than nFD 50/1.2 in general,
images from nFD50/1.2 is less life like, monotonous to me.
I have no experience with nFD50/1.2L (aspherical).

FD 55/1.2 S.S.C. <Planar>>>>>

The colour rendition of Planar is its own league. The colour from
FD 55/1.2 S.S.C. looks muddier to me, but it is unfair to compare
with Planar in this case. Though with my EOS 5D, Planar 55/1.2 cannot
show its nicety particularly about its colour, maybe 5DmkII can show
but I do not own it to see these things.
>>>>>

Sorry PBASE does not work auto-loading mechanism, so load each
Photo yourself please.

Planar> http://www.pbase.com/kkawakami/image/125948101

nFD50/1.4: > http://www.pbase.com/kkawakami/image/130604135

and
FD55/1.2 ssc> http://www.pbase.com/kkawakami/image/128591254

Last edited by koji on Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:50 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koji - thanks!

your fantastic gallery really hurts my eyes as the quality is simply not compromised in any way.!!!

The Planar 1.2/55 is a king and FD 50 f1.4 is extremely superior lens - yes, I am going to be hunting for it Wink

but Planar 1.2/55 -- ouch!! I can not sleep very well when thinking about this lens!! Wink

tf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really impressive !
Shocked Shocked Shocked

Very good lens served by a very good photographer.
You make these lenses shine. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trifox wrote:

I am really curious to hear that Canon would be a good competitor to such a titan - Contax 1.2/55

Well, maybe you would like to hear this story then: Walter Woeltche was charged by Zeiss to create a special lens for the 100th anniversary of the Planar scheme, in 1996.
The lens that Zeiss asked Woeltche to create was a Planar 55mm f/1.2
Zeiss heads gave a very short advance notice to Woeltche to create this lens; this did upset him, and apparently he worked on this project reluctantly.
So what did Woeltche do, to create this challenging lens in the short time that Zeiss required? Simply, he took off his shelves the notes of the studies that he made 20 years before, when he arrived to Zeiss from Schneider-Kreuznach and was taken directly into the team lead by Erhard Glatzel, the top team of engineers at Zeiss. Back then, Woeltche did study the three new SSC Aspherical Canon FD lenses, using the Zeiss machinery. Amongst those lenses there was also the 55/1.2 Aspherical, of which he admired the solution of the floating lens in the rear emigauss.
A solution which he took and replicated in the 1.2/55 Planar 100 jahre.

Of course, he then did his own further development of the lens, for instance he separated the second and third elements which are glued in the Canon lens. The result was a lens that was as sharp as the Canon lens wide open, but a better performer at f/5.6, where the Planar is nearly impeccable while the Canon suffers from curvature of field and astigmatism.
It is, however, correct to say that the Canon SSC Aspherical 1.2/55 is, if not the father, at least a close major relative of the Planar 1.2/55 100 jahre Wink Laughing

Well of course one could also argue that the Canon lens, in turn, was derived from the original Planar scheme... so what Woeltche did was somehow to have a loan returned... Wink ... with the interests! Laughing

Read the original story (with much more details) from Marco Cavina:
http://www.marcocavina.com/articoli_fotografici/zeiss_canon_1,2/00_pag.htm
you'll want to use google translate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting read Orio.
Even the 85/1.2 Planar was/is a copy of Canon FD 85/1.2.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:

Even the 85/1.2 Planar was/is a copy of Canon FD 85/1.2.

Well, it's not fair to say that it's a copy. I'd call it an influence. The Canon lens was surely a strong comparison term, of which Woeltche was aware, but let's not forget that the two lenses are almost contemporary, and their development did surely overlap in part.

The development of the Planar 1.2/85 was not derivative from the Canon aspherical, it actually started (this is a fact) as a Zeiss' request to Woeltche to further develop Glatzel's mythical 1.4/85 and to take it's speed up to f/1.2 (the 70s was the era of the super fast lenses).

Although surely influenced at some point by the Canon aspherical lens which was released in the meantime, the Planar 1.2/85 was born independently, and still substantially remained an independent project, as the different philosophies of the two lenses testifies.

Woeltche was in fact convinced that he could make a better lens without the use of the aspherical surfaces that were Canon's big news of that time, so he calculated the lens using only spherical elements that used special (and very expensive, and very difficult to handle) super high refraction glasses. And he succeeded in making a (slightly) better lens, although the difference in optical quality between the aspherical Canon and the Planar lens is not dramatic, and surely smaller than the difference in performance between the Planar 1.2/55 of the 90s and it's Canon aspherical ancestor (which is of course an unfair comparison, since the Planar 55 came 20 years after the Canon 55 aspherical and could take advantage of the technological advances of those 20 years).

Besides, the Planar 1.2/85 was born with the cinema use in mind (which requires great quality all across the frame), and made compatible with the specifics requested by the use for cinema and the Arri mount. This makes of it a really unique lens - and that's another significant difference from the Canon FD Aspherical which was a photo camera lens only.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice images.

I've just been given a Canon AE-1 and need some glass. This will be on the shortlist if the price is right.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Orio, that was a good reading. I browse Macro's page often, but
I missed that one somehow.