Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon EOS 7D V2 firmware to be released on August 7th 2012.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Canon EOS 7D V2 firmware to be released on August 7th 2012. Reply with quote

For those with an EOS 7D, Canon will be releasing new V2 firmware on the above date apparently although the link below doesn't specify it.

Full link for the security conscious:

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/news/firmware_update_to_enhance_EOS_7D.do

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A personal view...
The extra RAW burst is nice to have, although it's not something I'll use very often.
Being able to limit the auto ISO is excellent, I'm very happy to see that feature added.
Faster scrolling through magnified images(during playback)...doesn't make any difference to how I use the camera, but thanks anyway Canon.
I believe the video recording/playback levels is the most requested feature, nice of Canon to respond.

Personally I don't think I'll use any of the other features. I certainly won't trust the rear screen for any processing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that Canon sometimes seem to release unexpected firmware upgrades and shortly after, the body is superceded.

Almost out of the blue, they suddenly updated the 5D firmware and then announced the 5D2 and the same sort of thing happened with the 5D2 - 5D3 as well.

Wonder if this might herald a 7D2...?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
I've noticed that Canon sometimes seem to release unexpected firmware upgrades and shortly after, the body is superceded.

Almost out of the blue, they suddenly updated the 5D firmware and then announced the 5D2 and the same sort of thing happened with the 5D2 - 5D3 as well.

Wonder if this might herald a 7D2...?

Well how old is the 7D now? 3 years? I wouldn't be surprised if the rumored 70D/7DII came along soon.
My 7D has 35,000 clicks now so it has a lot of life in it yet, they're rated for 150,000. It does almost everything I want from a camera so a new model wouldn't tempt me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One day late but here it is http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_7d/#DriversAndSoftware

Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engadget's test Wink

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two things that interest me, as a 7D shooter, is the autoISO limiter and the increased burst capacity.
The 7D's Achilles heel is it's low light performance, IMO, and it remains as such. The autoISO limiter helps because I hate to go above ISO800 with this camera because things get messy very quickly.
The burst rate rising from 15 to 25 (full size RAW) is nice to have for fast moving sports and the like. After I updated my own 7D the camera told me that 23 shots was the max burst possible, I tried it out and got 26 (499Mb). I then tried a full size JPEG burst, out of interest, and got bored after 253 shots (805Mb) and let go of the shutter.
(The card was a Kingston ultimate 266x.)