Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Can you tell me what this is...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:24 am    Post subject: Can you tell me what this is... Reply with quote

I have two Kodak Brownie Hawkeye Flash cameras (620 film) that will use 120, taking up the film on the original 620 metal spool. I had the ma and pa place do the developing of this roll (plus two from the Agfa box) and all three rolls were messed up. If I sent the film through Walmart with the film wound on the 620 spool, I'd probably never see that spool again. Evil or Very Mad

anyhoo, here are a few shots from the Hawkeye:

apart from the bulbous-headed shadow in lower left, what is that to the
right?

using the No. 13 close-up filter, too, and another using this filter but forgot
parallax compensation:

I resorted to using SEP in this one to combat the flare, will check for haze
on the lens, or is this a light leak?

Curious to hear your thoughts, thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VEry, very difficult to say for me (and I don't see it very well ). Sorry. Sad

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be a smear on the actual negative? I see a thin strip on the bottom of the first image like what happened to some of my negatives when sent away....developer error? maybe send them to Paul(fish)as he seems to have the better processing shop now... Very Happy
I do like what I see behind all the extras...like glare etc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to me like there was not quite enough developer, and it shorted development on one edge; maybe fixer did not quite fill the tank.
Man, I don't know. But there have to be quirks in that plastic lens that account for a lot of the mildly squirrely stuff.

I really like the wrought-iron shot and the black and white conversion shot. You might send your next roll to Brookwood Camera down here in Vestavia Hills. That shop did a wonderful job on the one roll of Ektar 120 I sent 'em ...

Last edited by fish4570 on Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:06 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, Moira, and Paul, thanks for your comments. All three rolls were expired
film which may have been a contributing factor, too. In the second Hawkeye
is Portra 160NC in good expiration. Paul, I might take you up on that and
send it to them for processing. These little boxes are cheap as chips (Mike,
maddog10 gave these to me) and are capable of some decent photos, at
least in the hands of other photogs:

Hoping I can get the bugs worked out...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are some fine examples by whoever shot 'em. The key, I think, is to have the box/toy camera solidly resting on something, well, solid, when the shutter is tripped:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo,

While not having experience with your camera, I know that many box cameras tend to flare, even if lenses with two air-glass surfaces. So it is a good idea to make sure the lens itself is as clean as can be.

The standard configuration of most box cameras have the feed and take-up at the lens end, the dark chamber is tapered in shape, and the internal walls can be quite reflective, as most manufacturers just had them painted black. If you do not care about the camera being totally original, lining the inside with non-reflective materials, and if you can, add an internal baffle (think of it as an internal lens hood) will help to reduce internal flare.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn nice shooting with the boxes, Bill. Though each has its charms I really like the abstract of the orange dots.

I agree with Seele, these cameras have their own charming faults. I agree re internal flare - or as I think of it when I see it in my negatives, there's reflection around the film frame itself. I think that we tend to include this in our scans whereas 'by design' the printed frame is always smaller than the negative.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, really like that second shot.

Seele, I'll be going over this Hawkeye in my shop and making sure the
lenses are clean and will see about lining the inside with matte black
construction paper. The Agfa Synchro Box seems to have the baffle you mentioned already in place.

Jussi, yes, that orange dot shot is a cracker. All the last in frames are faves
from others on flickr.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Paul, really like that second shot.

Seele, I'll be going over this Hawkeye in my shop and making sure the
lenses are clean and will see about lining the inside with matte black
construction paper. The Agfa Synchro Box seems to have the baffle you mentioned already in place.

Jussi, yes, that orange dot shot is a cracker. All the last in frames are faves
from others on flickr.

I might be a bit over cautious; I feel that black construction paper might still have a bit of a sheen on them. I use black flock paper instead, at times I paste it to a very thin card to add stiffness.

The best idea, is to add an internal baffle in addition to the black lining. This needs a bit of extra calculation and work, but will be even more effective.

Also consider upgrading the light proofing, and if you use b/w materials, use a No.15 filter to cut down spectral transmission too.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Seele, will look into this #15 filter as well.