Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Camera size
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Camera size Reply with quote

I really don't like this woman or kid size DSLR like new ones from Olympus or Canon. And you ?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found Nikon's D40 too small but I have large hands...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One good side of it, you are much more unnoticed when doing event or street photography than with a 5D.

A possible expensive remedy is to buy one of those battery extensions that you attach to the tripod thread. These make the camera as big as a normal reflex.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi colleagues,

I do prefer small and light cameras. I got small hands, so the 350D is fine for me. I bought the additional grip and battery holder, and the result was too clumsy for me, so I sold it. The weight on the neck is an important issue for me, I use to wear the camera hanging from the neck strip during hours, and when I was carrying the 350D plus the grip I always ended with neck pain.
So for me small & light are beatiful Wink, but I respect other opinions.

Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, the problem with this little cameras is not its size (well, I don't have big hands, otherwise it would be), but the ridiculous viewfinder of them. In fact, I was going for a Canon 400D, but hopefully I changed to a 30D, mainly for the viewfinder.

I have to say that I do not use heavy lenses very often. Otherwise, a big camera is mostly needed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
A possible expensive remedy is to buy one of those battery extensions that you attach to the tripod thread. These make the camera as big as a normal reflex.

Yes, that's what I did.

I am not sure, but I think I prefer a cam that is neither too big nor too small. An EOS 1D would be too bulky for my taste but I really like the battery pack at my 350D, otherwise it is a little too small.

But I agree to Juanma. It is important what you want to do. For some kind of candid street shots, I love my small Oly 35RC or Minolta Hi-Matic F (or my digital Kodak DX7440). Whereas I love the size of my SLRs (EOS600, EF-M, 350D, Spotmatic, Zenit EM...), but for my Soligor 3.5/70-220 my 350D is almost too small...
Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always like larger SLRs - one of the reasons I like Nikon. I find the D200 about right without the grip - I was tempted to add one but having used it for a while without don't really feel the need.

Having bought just about the smallest SLR ever made this lunchtime though I'm going to have to revise my prejudices Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem of size with the 350D.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old SLR cameras aren't so very big compared to e.g. a 5D, here is a comparison between a Contax 139Q with a 2.8/85 Sonnar vs. a 5D with the 1.5/85 Helios-40-2:

The RF cameras were perhaps even smaller, here you have a 350D with the 2.8/45 Tessar vs. a FED-2 with the 6/28 Orion-15:

Even in my small hands, both the Contax and the FED feel much, much smaller than the 350D.

Veijo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Veijo, the 5D-Helios-set is a monster!

I see, you've got the Orion RF lens (28mm). Is it a good one?

Your Tessar looks nice at the 350D!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vilva wrote:
[...] 2.8/45 Tessar [...]

Veijo you are killing me !
This lens is lost between Belgium and France since November, don't know if I ever will see it in my hands some day !

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Christmas E-400. If it had a larger viewfinder, two command dials and a quieter shutter it would be perfect. As it is, it is almost perfect for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Wow, Veijo, the 5D-Helios-set is a monster!

Just sheer madness as I state on my 350D + Helios page

Quote:
I see, you've got the Orion RF lens (28mm). Is it a good one?

It is a Zeiss Biogon clone, slowish f/6 but otherwise OK. There is nothing wrong with my copy, at least not within the limits of the scan quality available to me, i.e. either commercial 6 Mp or my own with Epson 4990 flatbed. There are some example shots at the bottom of my FED-2 page http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/fed-2.html

Veijo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
but for my Soligor 3.5/70-220 my 350D is almost too small...
Wink

How about this? Cool

Veijo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insane!

Veijo, you are a very brave man to mount this cam/lens-combi on a tripod like this! Aren't you afraid that the bayonet will be torn out?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vilva wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:
but for my Soligor 3.5/70-220 my 350D is almost too small...
Wink

How about this? Cool

Veijo

I thought we were talking about lenses, not high-energy photonic lasers! Wink

Impressive....

Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a laser, Jes, it's a plasma rifle - much more effective. You can ask any Science Fiction fan. Laughing