Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Build quality of ZE series: My correspondence with Zeiss
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for what is worth, I have two Z lenses, a silver ZM one and a black ZS one (the 1.4/50). I did not use them for a long time yet, but I used them a lot. I can not see any wear on them. The black lens grip looks the same build as the lens in subject - mine does not show wear and to tell the truth, it looks and feels like it never will. Which of course is not the case but this is just to say that it looks like top quality manufacture.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
.... my Panasonic plasma TV after 4 yrs shows stripes on both side

Ah, you must be careful with plasmas. Either follow some simple rules http://www.plasmasaver.com/burnin.html (my Web site), or get an LCD TV instead. No burn-in effect on LCD screens.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for good advice !

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
my Panasonic plasma TV after 4 yrs shows stripes on both side like a gay television

Laughing
Now you make me curious, how does a gay tv look like? Laughing

Attila wrote:
I am curious who are owners of Zeiss this time can you show me some links about them ?

Here's Zeiss executive board:
http://www.zeiss.de/c12567a100537ab9/Contents-Frame/53432e418e743ecbc125748100271ac4

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Buy cheap abused lenses and no problem with wear anymore, this is my way to go.

+1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nkanellopoulos wrote:
I would like to remind you that my question to Zeiss was whether
this is normal wear after 5 days of use. Not after, say, 5 months.

I never said Zeiss lenses should not wear at all.

I didn't see a question in any of the emails; did I miss it? You also didn't express what you wanted to achieve from the exchange. You expressed an opinion and they countered with theirs.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Attila wrote:
my Panasonic plasma TV after 4 yrs shows stripes on both side like a gay television

Laughing

I thought the same, well i presume it must be kinda pink color Wink

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hexi wrote:
Orio wrote:
Attila wrote:

Laughing

maybe eyeliner on the remote? Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
hexi wrote:
Orio wrote:
Attila wrote:

Laughing

maybe eyeliner on the remote? Laughing

I presume it must looks, simply, like the rainbow gay flag...

As for your story Nikos it seems to be kinda bad luck, that's a pity and I agree with you, it came really too fast to be just like normal signs of wear.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rainbow column on both side, next step should be all screen will be pink Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true that Contax lenses have a very thick, almost rubbery kind of paint. I had a lens with some damage to the paint, but it looked like the paint was compressed and it didn't chip at all. This kind of paint probably wouldn't work well on a finely fluted metal focus ring because it would fill the grooves. Zeiss probably used a thinner paint, which in consequence wears off more easily.

I wonder how well-used Z* lenses will look when we will see them on the used market. Maybe similar to the rubber focus grips on Contaxes that turned grey from use (=ugly).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhamB wrote:

I wonder how well-used Z* lenses will look when we will see them on the used market. Maybe similar to the rubber focus grips on Contaxes that turned grey from use (=ugly).

Z lenses don't have rubber parts so they will look better when used.
That is for looks; about performing, I don't know Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
AhamB wrote:

Not when the paint has been flaking of...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhamB wrote:
Orio wrote:
AhamB wrote:

Not when the paint has been flaking of...

Well, I have seen aluminium with paint wear (something which happens on nearly all old manual Nikkors after some time, and nearly instantly on the superexpensive Leica R lenses, just after a couple of uses...), and I have seen rubber grips discolored, stained, losing sticky glue... and I much prefer the former.
But like all things preference, it's all subjective.
And in any case, if I have time to spend being analytic (quite a luxury for me lately), I much prefer to do so over my photographs than over my gear... Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wear marks looks like a diagonal line which could come from a ring but you don't wear one. It does not look like random flaking of coating but some object made contact like the zipper of a bag? Yes, the wear will effect selling price but if you don't sell it then who cares? Maybe take black marker and fill in spots? Laughing

I have old contax 35/2.8 lens that fell apart so I question Zeiss build quality too. Maybe I'll post pic of lens and you tell me if this is acceptable?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ersatz wrote:
The wear marks looks like a diagonal line which could come from a ring but you don't wear one. It does not look like random flaking of coating but some object made contact like the zipper of a bag?

I think the same: contact scratch - I see the scratch line. No fingerprint is shaped like that.
BTW I used my ZS Planar for another two days consecutively and not even a hint of a possible paint discoloration in sight. It looks and feel like I'll have to use it for at least two years before anything like that happens.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
ersatz wrote:
The wear marks looks like a diagonal line which could come from a ring but you don't wear one. It does not look like random flaking of coating but some object made contact like the zipper of a bag?

I think the same: contact scratch - I see the scratch line. No fingerprint is shaped like that.
BTW I used my ZS Planar for another two days consecutively and not even a hint of a possible paint discoloration in sight. It looks and feel like I'll have to use it for at least two years before anything like that happens.

This is good news for me. I am careful, but perhaps it is a scratch.
According to Zeiss, however, you are wrong. It is just the normal wear for 5 days of use.