Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Brixellum 2008, part four : Noon
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Brixellum 2008, part four : Noon Reply with quote

Short chronicle of a mad man walking around the town under the sun at peak with a reflex camera and over 35°C of temperature in the shade (under the sun, certainly over 40°C):

http://www.oriofoto.net/temp/BRIXELLUM_2008_4_NOON/index.html

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful shots, and refreshing to see the absence of motor vehicles!

I see you singled out that classic beauty (the one I thought should be on
a Roman coin) as your avatar. Wink

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Beautiful shots, and refreshing to see the absence of motor vehicles!

They were there, I just avoided them Laughing

Katastrofo wrote:
I see you singled out that classic beauty (the one I thought should be on a Roman coin) as your avatar. Wink
Bill

It was really difficult with those dancers, to pick one, most of them looked great! In this particular picture, I love the pose. It reminds me of Renaissance paintings and I think that she looks typecast for that (really has the same type of beauty as in Botticelli's paintings)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice series!
the new avatar is superb, even at this small size it smell quality

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
nice series!
the new avatar is superb, even at this small size it smell quality

Thanks! Unfortunately, I missed the focus Sad so the small photo lies a bit.
I kept the shot anyway.

Sometimes, street photography reveals later things you did not see while shooting. In photo #12, I just noticed, that the seller has put a towel to cover the trash can. It was a little gesture, but he obviously cared about the aesthetical side. In an age where most people seem to not care about the decor anymore, I find this detail touching.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed looking at these.

You make it hard to decide what a person should get next for a lense. The shots from all your lense look good.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schnauzer wrote:
I enjoyed looking at these.

Thanks Ron. Well, that is the general plan. Smile I love looking at pictures from other cities and countries, don't matter for me how big or small, just as long as I can see what is there, and happens there. It's today's equivalent to what in the 18th century was reading the other people's travel diaries.
So I also share myself for other fellows who might enjoy this type of photography, to see.

Schnauzer wrote:
You make it hard to decide what a person should get next for a lense. The shots from all your lense look good.

I normally go out with just two lenses, a medium wide (usually 35mm, sometimes 28mm) on the 5D, and a short tele (85 to 100 mm) on the 400D, that becomes a 135-150mm equivalent.

With this setup, I can shoot everything. The Distagon 35 image can be cropped to mimick in-between focal lenghts without too much loss of quality.
By simply switching the camera/lens assignment, I can get a 56mm lens equivalent on the 400D and a 85-100mm lens on the 5D.
So I really have a full coverage in two lenses.

To tell the truth, I could do everything with just the 1.4/35 Distagon. It is fast enough for night shots, sharp wide open to keep detail on focused part, and detailed enough to make crops and enlargements of details if you don't have a tele lens with you.

So if I have to advice on just one lens to buy, that would be the Distagon 1.4/35.

I have two of them (a Germany made AE and a Japan made MM), and should a good occasion presents, I also plan to get a Germany made MM.
With three copies I would feel safe enough. Unfortunately Zeiss has dropped this model from new productions. Now they make the Distagon 2/35 in Nikon mount, which is -reportedly- the best one amongst the new breed of Zeiss Z lenses - but, it will miss one full stop speed - and I really often rely on wide open shots with my lens, to obtain certain effects. I don't think I will be able to replace it with the 2/35.
For this reason I expect the Contax 1.4/35 to become more and more valued with the years.
THe only one copy i see on Ebay now is priced three times as much as what I have paid as average for my copies.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even my wife enjoyed looking at the country side and the town. While I do, she doesn't care much for pictures of doorways,etc.

I was thinking about maybe a 85mm for my next M/F lense. One of the lenses Andy recommended was a Helios 44. The Helios 44-2 sounds nice. I like the flek 2.4-35mm so much that I'm think my next one might be a Zeiss 85mm of some sort.

What amazes me is that I get pictures with the flek 2.4-35 and the yashica ml 1.7-50mm that are about the same as my $1000+ canon L glass.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schnauzer wrote:

What amazes me is that I get pictures with the flek 2.4-35 and the yashica ml 1.7-50mm that are about the same as my $1000+ canon L glass.

Very Happy
Attila we must take Ron's sentence and print it big at the entrance of the forum!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love your avatar !

It looks like a detail from Frederick Leighton, or some similar 19th century salon painter.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Schnauzer wrote:

Very Happy
Attila we must take Ron's sentence and print it big at the entrance of the forum!

Ok you have had your fun (LOL), now what would be a good 85mm lense?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I have not understood you were asking for advice Embarassed
Well, what is your price range?

Below the Eur 100 (sorry, it's easier for me to think Euros as I am not used to the US Ebay prices) there is the Jupiter-9 (85mm), the Nikon 100/2.8 series E, and the Kaleinar-5N, but in this price range the best buy is probably the Pentacon 100mm (which I don't have)

Of course I am always speaking of the lenses that I know for having used them, or for having seen lots of samples from (for instance I don't know what models might have Olympus or Pentax/Takumar or Tamron)

In the 100-200 Euros range, I would advice for the Nikkor 85/1.8 or the Contax Sonnar 2.8/85 AE. There is also the Helios-40 but it's a single coated lens and I don't know how do you feel about them.

In the 200-400 Euros range, there are the Sonnar 2.8/85 MM, the Sonnar 3.5/100 (if you can find one...), the Planar 1.4/85, the Leica Elmarit-R 2.8/90, the Leica Summicron-R 2/90, the Helios-40-2... they are all great lenses, each with its own personality.

What I would choose if I had to buy just one?

I think I would go with the Sonnar 3.5/100 - it is slower than the other lenses, but it's wide open performance is every bit as good as any f/5.6 or f/8 performance of the other lenses.

Unless, I would use the lens ONLY for portraits, in which case, I think that the skin rendition and bokeh of the Summicron-R 90 are unbeatable. You pay that, however, with an inferior sharpness compared to the other lenses mentioned.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found the fellow ! Not Leighton -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Alma-Tadema

I swear your lovely avatar belongs in his paintings.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
I've found the fellow ! Not Leighton -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Alma-Tadema
I swear your lovely avatar belongs in his paintings.

I have to admit, I don't know this painter well, Luis Embarassed
The Three Graces by Botticelli is what came to my mind, but I am sure that this theme and pose has been used by many other painters over the ages.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schnauzer wrote:

One of the reason why I found mflenses.com these old beauties very under rated compare with "modern" garbage. Canon will change mount over and over again ... to take more money from photographers.

I suggest next lenses in 75-100mm range none of them very expensive all prices are really comparable with any low level budget AF lenses.

You can find samples with these lenses at mflenses.com/gallery.

Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 75mm f1.5
Carl Zeiss Jena Pancolar 80mm f1.8
Carl Zeiss Planar 85mm f1.4
Carl Zeiss Planar 85mm f2.8

Nikkor 85mm f1.8 NON-AI,AI
Nikkor 85mm f2 AI,AIS
Nikkor 105mm f1.8 AIS
Nikkor 105mm f2.5 AIS
Nikkor Micro 105mm f2.8, f4

Konishiroku Hexanon 100mm f2.8
Konica Hexanon 85mm f1.8

Minolta MD 100mm f2

Pentacon 100mm f2.8
Meyer-Orestegor 100mm f2.8
Meyer-Trioplan 100mm f2.8
Jupiter-9 85mm f2

Helios-40 85mm f1.5
Helios-40-2 85mm f1.5

Olympus OM 85mm f2
Olympus OM 90mm f2 ?
Olympus OM 100mm f2.8

SMC Takumar 85mm f1.8
SMC Takumar 105mm f2.8
or Super Takumar , don't take Auto Takumar.

Tamron SP 90mm f2.5
Kiron 105mm f2.8
Vivitar Series 1 90mm f2.8

I have no experience with Leica and other Carl Zeiss (Oberkochen) lenses, I think they are superb so you will won't dissapointed.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Orio and Attila. I would say the price range would be $100.00 to $550.00 but more wouldn't be a problem. I agree with Attila 75 to 100mm would be about right. Sooo not wanting macro and not doing portraits what would be your choice. I am leaning towards Zeiss.

Attila I think after doing a lot of reading on the subject, that canon had a good reason for changing mounts. I don't see them changing again for a long time.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see Nikon not changed basically from 1947, all Nikkor lenses still usable on any Nikon body I love this way instead of changing mounts.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Zeiss ballpark you have three or four choices and you will be happy with any of them.

Starting from the cheapest:

Sonnar 2.8/85 = compact lens, ideal for travels, MM is preferable as it's sharp wide open but AE is also a very good lens which I have used in the last years and always been happy. It is a lens that does well everything, from landscape to portrait to architecture

Sonnar 3.5/100 = also very compact, best optical performance, it has both sharpness and 3D, it's only drawback is that it's very rare to find. I have only tried MM version of this lens so I can not speak about the AE

Planar 1.4/85 = this is really a portrait lens, but is very useful also in situations with low light and fast action (concerts, indoor sports etc). It is big and bulky so not really good for traveling or hiking. Need to be careful with front lens because it is much exposed. If you choose this lens be sure to take a MM, because the AE version has the blades with ninja star shape and therefore makes ugly highlights in the bokeh

Planar 2/100 = this lens is the "Portrait king" but has a punishing used value of about 1000 Euros, more or less. Wether it is worth it or not I leave to users decide. It is, in my opinion, the most "Leickish" of Zeiss lenses. It has sweeter contrast than the other Contax medium teles, and has better bokeh.
In my very personal opinion, if one needs this type of lens, it is wiser to spend 300-350 Euros for a Leica Summicron-R which does this same type of job equally well, than to spend 1000 Euros for this lens.
If one instead wants a more aggressive lens, then the 300-350 Euros needed for a Planar 1.4/85 will make him more happy.
I am not "pushing down" the 2/100, I have it and it's fantastic - I only think that it's not the best price/quality ratio currently available.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If one instead wants a more aggressive lens, then the 300-350 Euros needed for a Planar 1.4/85 will make him more happy.

Orio, I don't understand what you mean by more aggressive lense.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schnauzer wrote:

Orio, I don't understand what you mean by more aggressive lense.

I mean that the 1.4/85 Planar is more "punchy"
The Planar 2/100 is more classical, balanced

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron
The 1.4/85 is a fabulous choice although in the upper end of your price range (but still in it). I agree with the assesment Orio gives us of the 2/100 it is the King and really amazing to use as well (but expensive). Go for the 1.4/85 you will not be sorry. You get the dreamy look wide open and Zeissy sharpness as you stop down. With a f1.4 max aperture so a bright viewfinder it is a classic and a very fun lens to use. Keep your eye on KEH. They sometimes will have a "bargain" copy for around $400. The rating system there is very conservative. If they say it is bargain condition. Often an ebay seller will say Exc. condition.

@ Orio
This is a great series. You are fortunate to live near these types of events. We don't have much access to festivals and re-creations like this where I live.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Orio and Andy. 1.4/85 it will most likely be then. Probably be a few weeks before I start shopping. Summer is short and I have a lot to do for now.