Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Black Biotar 5.8 cm and Tessar 5 cm,My new/old German lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Black Biotar 5.8 cm and Tessar 5 cm,My new/old German lenses Reply with quote

Some time ago I bought nice set: the Praktica camera (with original leather case) and two lenses (Biotar 5.8 cm and Tessar 5 cm). I paid ~72 € for all.
Today I collected the parcel. The camera is in very good condition, with slight marks of use. Biotar has some cleaning marks in front glass and very small amount of dust inside (but not more than my other lenses). Barrel looks almost like new. In both lenses, Biotar and Tessar there's some oil on aperture blades. Tessar has 14 blades, Biotar has 17 (!). These lenses are perfect mechanically - rings turn smooth, aperture works OK. Tomorrow I will take and show you some test pictures (probably the day will be sunny, with temperature about 7 degrees Celsius). Some photos of my new equipment:

Tessar, Biotar and Helios for comparison.

Evolt with Tessar; Biotar
[/img]

New photos of my toys:

Last edited by Maxim on Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hubert - nice buy. I shall look forward very much to your samples. The Tessar in particular looks great.

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great sets , black Biotar is rare really!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tessar is same as mine! Very Happy A magical lens!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great purchase !!

But beware of the cold and oil on blade : the oil tends to be very sticky with cold weather and you can ruin the blade while playing with the aperture ring ... I did it twice (J-9 & Pentacon 300/4) without prior notice...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, Florent Smile I use my lenses with care. Currently aperture ring turns very smoothly. In free time I'll take my lenses to service to clean aperture blades. I took a few photos in late afternoon. The day was sunny, with temperature around 7 degrees Celsius. Orio - I'll test my Tessar tomorrow. This lens looks so nice! My photos:

Biotar, F/2.0

100% crops from above:

Biotar, F/8

100% crop:

Biotar, F/2.0 - picture is quite sharp, bokeh looks nice

Biotar, F/2.0 - this photo may be a bit shaked (1/60 sec, hand-held). OOF area looks like from Helios Smile

Biotar, F/8 or F/11

Last edited by Maxim on Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Praktica looks gorgeous, is that a waist level finder, that it mounts?

Biotar - bokeh with this lens is problematic, as is with Helios, but your first one is actually nice, looks more like a Tessar bokeh

And speaking of Tessar - how do you like it? I am very fond of my copy.
EDIT: ah OK, I read now you'll test it tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, Orio. This camera doesn't have the pentaprism. The waist-level viewfinder has the moved magnifying glass which makes manual focusing much easier.
By the way - I'm surprised that Biotar is much smaller than Helios. Lenses have the same size, but barrel is thinner and shorter. And... aperture has 17 blades Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxim wrote:
You're right, Orio. This camera doesn't have the pentaprism. The waist-level viewfinder has the moved magnifying glass which makes manual focusing much easier.

Yes, I love the waist finder on my Pentacon 6, only problem is, the mirrored view makes me dizzy Rolling Eyes

Maxim wrote:
By the way - I'm surprised that Biotar is much smaller than Helios. Lenses have the same size, but barrel is thinner and shorter. And... aperture has 17 blades Very Happy

Soviets wanted to show they were BIG Razz Look at the Jupiter-6! Shocked Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio - you said the same what I meant about Russian lenses and waist-level viewfinder Smile
Today's day isn't as sunny as yesterday - but I took a few photos using my Tessar 5cm. This lens doesn't reach infinity (max. distance ~4m), but in my opinion is good for close-ups, portraits and nature photos.

E-300 + Tessar; F/3.5; ISO 200:

100% crop (not sharpened):

E-300 + Tessar; F/5.6; ISO 200 (bokeh is still soft and nice):

100% crop (not sharpened):

E-300 + Tessar; F/3.5; ISO 200 (depth of field is narrow):

100% crop from out of focus area:

Some nature photos:

E-300 + Tessar; F/5.6; ISO 200 (look at the creamy bokeh)

And traditionally - my bike Smile

Last edited by Maxim on Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:46 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, typical for the Tessar design: sharp and nice but not fast.
If you can cope with that, this is a great lens for you.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why no infinity?

-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The focus scale on the barrel is from 0.7m to the infinity, but lens focuses from ~0.4m up to about 4m (when attached to my E-300; the lens focuses correctly with Praktica). There is some small gap between the the hind part of lens and the adaptor. I'll take some photos tomorrow to show this problem. But... for me it isn't a big problem, I will use Tessar for close-ups and nature photos Smile

BTW I hadn't this problem with alu Tessar 2.8/50

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a pity however: this lens delivers an incredible 3D effect.

-

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio - please, look at my photo. This is the reason, why my Tessar doesn't screw in as deep as he should. Helios - for comparison. Despite this small problem, I love this lens. I'm surprised that such small lenses can give so sharp photos. Tessar - tiny lens, but with great character!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the difference. However, I can mount my copy on the EOS cameras no problem. Evidently the obstacle is in the adapter you are using for your camera.