Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Black & white again
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Black & white again Reply with quote

Hello and sorry... these two are made with AF:

My brother with my camera

© Cosmin Munteanu

Pentax K100D , Pentax-DA 18-55

Reading, on the way home

© Cosmin Munteanu

Canon PowerShot A400

Yes, I would like a camera with bigger sensor - let's say, like the 4/3 format Smile - (with fixed or not, good lenses), lifeview (on a articulated LCD) and enough small to fit in my jacket's pocket.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the bus picture, Cosmin. The speed blur out of the window gives it a special atmosphere.

It's very nice that you have a brother interested in photography. You can spend a lot of time together having photographic fun. This is very precious.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

One little correction. It can not be seen, but the bus is a tram. Smile

Yes, othen we go out for some shooting sessions. At night its even better if we are not alone, carrying that photographic equipment.
Now both have (each) a Pentax K100D with the kit lenses (DA 18-55) and some tele AF zooms (I have a FA 80-320 and my brother FA 100-300) and we share the M42 lenses and cameras too.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like them both montecarlo... they show very well in b&w
Nice you share same hobby with your brother

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are fun Montecarlo, especially the passenger on the trolley.

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: On the way home... Reply with quote

Snap shot , on the way home (1-2 months ago)

© Cosmin Munteanu

...the same Canon P&S

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you still have the colour original of this last picture?
Try applying a red filter in Photoshop before conversion (or convert mixing channels giving dominance to red channel), this will darken the grass which in my opinion looks too bright.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi montecarlo. you have a good eye, you know how to compose and it's obvious in b&w.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Thank you all.

I looked at the original, coloured photo. The grass is yellow due to the burning from the sun. So, in this case sould I try a blue filter instead ? I'm not experieced with filters (digital or not) and not even with PS. The photo is made directly in Jpeg, beeing tooked with a 2.5 years old Canon A400.

Cosmin.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

montecarlo wrote:

I looked at the original, coloured photo. The grass is yellow due to the burning from the sun. So, in this case sould I try a blue filter instead ?

That would require violet filtering for real darkening, but blue or red filtering will work as well, although not as effectively - but you don't want a shocking effect, just some tone balancing.

Colour opposites:

red--green
yellow--violet
blue--orange

In order to darken a specific set of tones in a B&W picture, you need to apply filtering of the opposite colour.
This action, of course, will also lighten the colour range of the filter itself, so it's a move that needs to be thought carefully, especially when you are doing filtering when shooting - but it's one of the keys to become a master of B&W.