Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best "Cheap" Wide Angle
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note about bent filter rings....

Another photographer Boris Kosloff sent me an email inquiring about a few different 400mm lenses I have asking about the Tokina,Sigma and the Vivitar TX 400mm....he was on the hunt for a 400mm.

I recommended the Canon EF 400mm f5.6...he wrote back saying this lens was way out of his price range....I had three Vivitar 400mm TX lenses,one with a bent filter ring...told him,if I could straighten it,I would send it to him for the price of postage.

So basically following the instructions here... http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/filterringtool.html...the difference being I used bent in a circular fashion,stacked cardbord between two blocks of wood for the backing...and using a tapered soft wood plug which I slowly tapped with a ballpean hammer back to the original shape...only took about 10 minutes of light taping back and forth along the bend to restore to the original shape which was undetectable by the eye...by doing this with soft wood the threads were not damaged...tested by screwing on a B&W circular polarizer.

Sent the lens to him last week with a 1.5X TC and he got it on Thursday and was happy as a clam.

More pics of a similar repair here...http://www.pbase.com/pganzel/diy_straightening_lens_filter_rings

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
I agree with Graham about the Vivitar 2.8/28 WA made by Komine (serial 28xxxx). It really is a hidden gem and very cheap usually. I've never tried any of the other Vivitars mentioned and I guess they're equally good, but I can honestly vouch for this one.

Most Komine made lenses are Very Very close to the prime lenses quality
In fact, you are sure that ALL komine made lenses are vg to excellent (Tokina, Tamron , Sigma, Kiron can also be very good or excellent but the gem's proportion is lower)