Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

begining of XX century lenses on DSLR
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 2:18 am    Post subject: begining of XX century lenses on DSLR Reply with quote

I would like to start a new topic using begining of century uncoated lens mounted on bellows, here is a first attempt not the greater photo but tells o how these lens are god for BW

Protar zeiss 6.3 F 133 Krauss Paris

f 6.3

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

forget digital lens when shooting in BW directly from BW program Lumix L1

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: begining of XX century lenses on DSLR Reply with quote

sbaruche wrote:
I would like to start a new topic using begining of century uncoated lens mounted on bellows, here is a first attempt not the greater photo but tells o how these lens are god for BW

Protar zeiss 6.3 F 133 Krauss Paris

The Protar is a very good lens, perhaps the best corrected lens of its period. The contrast may be sligtly low, but the lens is supposed to be very sharp - there is a reference in the Vade Mecum stating that the sharpness compares well with a modern convertible Symmar. It should be noted that a lens cannot be really sharp even in BW unless it is properly corrected for color. When these old, uncoated and consequently somewhat lower contrast lenses are used with film, the photos are easier to print than photos taken with modern, very high contrast lenses. Anyway, the dynamic range of these old lenses easily exceeds that of any printed medium, and digital PP gives even more leeway than all the wet darkroom trickery used by the ancients.

Veijo

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks sbaruche to open this subject .
I appreciate a lot the colors abilities of old non-treated glasses . They are prone to give low contrast , and furthermore "pastel" colors .

Novar 6,3/105mm :

This lens is very fascinating . I took my bests BW 2 1/4 x 3 1/2 negatives with it , on the original body (Ikonta)

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: novar Reply with quote

I love this photo looks like a painting congratulation
the possibilities of these old lenses are endless

I will send more colors photos done with my angenieux lens

Sylvain

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1913 Bausch&Lomb Rapid-Rectilinear

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating thread

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From today.

Voigtländer Heliar 3,5/10,5cm (1927)

Ingo

f6.3

Bokeh comparison

Heliar 3.5/10,5 cm

Zeiss Planar 1.4/50 T*

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: wollensack raptar 165/4.5 coated Reply with quote

with indirect flash from Li lumix

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Sylvain, Helios, Nesster & Ingo
very nice & instructive shots

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been shooting with a number of uncoated lenses on the Leica as of late, all on film. I need to do some scanning, the colors are marvelous.

These are beautiful examples, Thankyou.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject: protar zeiss krauss 133mm Reply with quote

this lens is really incredible
[/img]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helios wrote:
"pastel" colors .

The " " are appropriate.
I never could understand why to call muted colours "pastel".
As any painter knows, pastels can be as brightly coloured as the most colourful medium.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to see how these lenses perform.

How are they attached to modern DSLRs?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

How are they attached to modern DSLRs?

Martin, via bellows like this, or a helical extension tube, or a lens cannibalized for the helicoid, or by attaching the camera to the back end of a folding camera...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what lenses I should be looking for. I have some M42 mount bellows.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lens/shutter combos from old folding cameras work - you set the shutter on T (or B) and the rear of the shutter fits in pretty well, with some gasketing, in M42.

Old enlarger lenses work great as well - you can go with the gasket mount or get a 39-42 adapter.

And of course old view camera lenses.

75mm or longer works as you can get infinity focus. Actually, 105mm and longer is even better. 75mm may be too close for the bellows.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - I'll check some out.