Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

"Aus Jena" Zeiss Triotar, 40 Euros
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: "Aus Jena" Zeiss Triotar, 40 Euros Reply with quote

Almost accidentally, I won a M42 Triotar 4/135 "aus Jena" for 40 Euros.
I placed a bid just like that, just because it was an "aus Jena" copy, and forgot it. Then I got a message that I won the auction Laughing

This will be my second Triotar, the first one three years ago was foggy and gave hazey results. So I dumped it.
I hope to be luckier this time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cross my fingers , great lens.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I remember your earlier one which never saw posting, hope to see this one working for you. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Orio !
Keep your fingers crossed.

I have an alu version T 4/13.5. Nice lens. Smile : To the Gallery

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the lens in my hands now. Mint looking, focusing ring smooth as butter, and sharp like a needle wide open. Wow.
Bokeh looks great, and CA (this is the part that was the most surprise) is nearly zero.
Not bad for a stone age optical design Very Happy
And yet another evidence that the "aus Jena" lenses are really worth to be looked after.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Orio, post some samples, please. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Congrats, Orio, post some samples, please. Wink

I made only tests from the window, very boring, you don't really want to see them Smile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I have the lens in my hands now. Mint looking, focusing ring smooth as butter, and sharp like a needle wide open. Wow.
Bokeh looks great, and CA (this is the part that was the most surprise) is nearly zero.
And yet another evidence that the "aus Jena" lenses are really worth to be looked after.

that is great I did expect exactly this. congrats!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

Congratulations on this lens.

It makes me wonder though, given all our computers and modern day technology of quality control, why we don't make lenses with exactly this optical design nowadays? If the design is this simple but effective, surely it is possible to replicate consistently?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see some samples too! I learn a lot from these sample photos, as the more I read and see and then look at my own lenses and photos. I begin to understand what you are all talking about in terms such as CA,crop factor,sharpness, contrast...etc... Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A gem. Sample please.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since you asked, here's a test pic, but I warned you they're boring, so don't complain now! Laughing

Full frame camera (5DII), subject taken hand-held, no hood on glass (lens is single-coated), some wind through the leaves. Two apertures, f/4 and f/6.5.
First the whole resized:

Two 100% of focused portion. Keep in mind the handheld and the wind motion. The stopped down take shows an increase in contrast, and of course in DOF,
but to my sight, the resolution does not increase that much compared to wide open. This is to say, that wide open is almost as resolving as stopped down.
A remarkable wide open performance for such an old design, in my opinion:

A 100% crop of the specular highlight. Notice the astigmatism in the wide open take. It however is not smeared (you can tell the astigmatic profiles),
which means that the lens has astigmatism wide open, but the spherical distortion is well corrected.
Interesting thing, notice how the highlight is significantly smaller in the stopped down take, this is how much simply stopping down changes the proportion of the objects!
Note that there is a slight cyan aberration edge around the specular highlight. This is of course some type of chromatic aberration.
I find it interesting however that it does not decrease in the stopped down shot, as I had expected; it basically stays the same.
So I am beginning to wonder if that has really all to do with the lens, or if it isn't perhaps something that has more to do with sensor.
In any case, the problem is really insignificant - I know many prized autofocus lenses that would create a much worse CA circle in this situation (and some MF lenses as well Wink )

Overall, I like the tone of the image and the bokeh. The lens is sharp but not to the point of becoming obnoxious.
It retains a gentle characted that I am sure would do great with portraits.
Some test shots i took indoor showed a great image quality in the highlights and the bright/dark transition.