Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Apo-Lanthar 90/3.5 sample gallery
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:38 am    Post subject: Apo-Lanthar 90/3.5 sample gallery Reply with quote

I have prepared a sample gallery of images taken with the Voigtlaender Apo-Lanthar 90mm f/3.5.
They are taken hand held with the Canon EOS 5D Mark II, and for most part they show the exteriors of the Terme Berzieri building, in my hometown.
I hope that you may like them, or that they may be useful for you:

http://www.oriofoto.net/temp/berzieri_apolanthar90/apolanthar90berzieri.htm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful samples Orio! Make me want to get one for self Embarassed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best samples from Lantahar 90mm I've ever seen. I think that soon street price for this lens will go higher. I still don't understand why Cosina stopped production of all Apo-Lanthars.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

impressive & best samples of the Lanthar, great building!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! they are great images. Very high detail and nice colours. Great lens!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voytek

They stopped in order to take on the Zeiss contract. They are apparently selling like hot cakes also

patrickh

The Apo Lanthars gained a much bigger acclamation after production ceased! Stupid really.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing. Your explanations to the pictures are very helpful.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys for the kind words!
Yes the decision to drop the production of these lenses looks like a big mistake.
To be fair on Cosina, I would guess two things:

1) probably Zeiss' contract involves a lot of money for the production of the Z lenses. Money that grants Cosina and their employees a future. So it's difficult to say it was a bad decision on the enterpreneurial point of view.

2) at the time the production of the Z lenses started, manual focus on digital cameras was not going strong. Today, it looks that more photographers are using manual lenses for tasks where autofocus is not crucial (like macro), or where the quality of the AF offers is not so good (super wide lenses). But at the time it was basically only our narrow circle of fanatics to use MF lenses.

One circumstance however makes the reconstruction more complicated: Cosina has started the production of some new own Voigtlaender lenses after this line was discontinued. So evidently not the 100% of Cosina facilities are involved in the Z production. But then, why not resume production of these successful lenses?
That is why I begin to suspect that the Zeiss contract might involve somehow Cosina to not produce anymore these SLR lenses - the Voigtlaender macro, for instance (the Apo-Lanthar 125), is a direct competitor of the Zeiss Makro-Planar 100, and according to reports, it does better with regards to control of the chromatic aberrations than the (still excellent) Zeiss lens.
So maybe Zeiss was afraid of the competition?

-

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work Orio, showing these wonderful images. That lens is a gem indeed!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic images of an incredible place. Tank you Orio for sharing these outstanding pictures.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just "WOW!"

Sharp pictures, this lens (&camera) is a great performer. Must be a pleasure to shoot with (specially on this location).

Greetings
klaus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks all !

Yes, it's a pleasure to use because the build quality is top. Good metals and glass only. No plastic stuff anyhwere. Even the front cap is metal (I don't know about the original rear cap because I got a replacement one). Precise smooth rotation of focus.
It is built in Japan, but the build quality is really in the best German tradition.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Orio
These look very convincing.
Those that do not have one should start the search now.
The supply of these lenses on the marketplace is going to be tight soon.

@Orio
Stephan Gandy should send you a commission check for helping him sell the remaining new ones he has in stock. Surely they will not last long now Wink

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply stunning photos and a stunning lens!

Thank you so much for sharing Orio!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two left with Nikon mount; one is already spoken for (board member here) Wink Wink

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should not last long Klaus. Wonderful lens and Orio has done his normal excellent job of displaying its capabilities

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding pictures! ,amazing.... Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that this is an excellent trio :
APO Lanthar + Canon 5D MkII + Orio !

Beautiful samples.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you !!

The provider wrote me an email. I have exceeded the monthly bandwidth quota. My whole website will be taken down in 3 days and until the end of October, unless I upgrade to a (much) more expensive hosting plan. Which I don't want to do.
So if you see my images disappear... you know why Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats's a bummer Orio! Maybe we should ask for donations here
(although I know the result already... Wink unfortunately).

What's teh alternative to save your work for the public?

I am a lifetime member on Nikongear with about 1000Meg of
space which I am not using - how about that??

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
I see you sent a PM also, will reply there.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
I have two left with Nikon mount; one is already spoken for (board member here) Wink Wink

My sincerest thanks to Klaus for his kindness and patience holding this lens reserved for me. Klaus' Voigtländer 3.5/90 APO-Lanthar will see use together with my 4/180 APO-Lanthar.