Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Anyone using bulbs?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Anyone using bulbs? Reply with quote

Like this?

I could use then in my 'old pictures' project with 1969 FP3 and Nettar.

Or should I just carry them very carefully to the sea?

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sell them on ebay. There is a market for them.

I have hundreds of bulbs left by my father-in-law

I should either use them or sell them.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got 10 of them with my Land Camera 250 and used about half of them in a single evening, the few left I keep for special occasions. I much prefer bulbs to strobes, they give a different kind of lighting. Keep them, you never know when they might be useful.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:
I got 10 of them with my Land Camera 250 and used about half of them in a single evening, the few left I keep for special occasions. I much prefer bulbs to strobes, they give a different kind of lighting. Keep them, you never know when they might be useful.

+1

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you guys show examples of photos with bulbs?

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

I gave them all away. Smile But you have seen many already, before the advent of electronic strobes you had to use bulbs. Some of my favourites are Gottlieb's pictures of jazz musicians from the late 40s-50s.

"Today's photographers, armed with automatic film winders, shutter speed and focus, expensive flash units and high-speed film, would probably have predicted failure for Mr. Gottlieb. He took only two or three photographs per session, in part because flash bulbs were so expensive. To conserve film, yet catch the best moments, Mr. Gottlieb would wait until the second or third chorus, when the music and emotion became most intense, he said"
http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/wghtml/wggiants.html
http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/wghtml/wgpres.html

I find bulbs give a more even lighting than strobes, and don't flatten out features as much. One of many examples, taken from the resources linked above.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ludoo"]
Orio wrote:

Quote:
I gave them all away. Smile But you have seen many already, before the advent of electronic strobes you had to use bulbs. Some of my favourites are Gottlieb's pictures of jazz musicians from the late 40s-50s.

"Today's photographers, armed with automatic film winders, shutter speed and focus, expensive flash units and high-speed film, would probably have predicted failure for Mr. Gottlieb. He took only two or three photographs per session, in part because flash bulbs were so expensive. To conserve film, yet catch the best moments, Mr. Gottlieb would wait until the second or third chorus, when the music and emotion became most intense, he said"

I find bulbs give a more even lighting than strobes, and don't flatten out features as much. One of many examples, taken from the resources linked above.

I doubt that you would find photographers like that these days, to those that thought like that it was a passion, and they were at the pinnacle of the photographic world. They understood completely what they wanted, and they were prepared to get it.

Today we shoot hundreds of digital images at a time, we chimp, we discard. We might get exactly what we first envisaged.
Those guys were photographic heroes. Cool

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:

This is exactly like the pics I want to get from the old photo project. Now I must find old style jazz band somewhere. Smile