Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Anyone else have a Tamron SP 300mm f/2.8 LD (IF) 60B?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked wow that's an adaptall line up. Beautiful examples of these lenses - congrats.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justtorchit wrote:
I have the several of Tamron's adaptall 300/2.8 lenses: the 107B, 60B, and 360B. Optically I'm impressed with all of them. Functionally, I use the 360B most and actually quite often. I have owned a few copies of the 400/4 as well (and still have 1) and I have experiences the stiff focusing ring. One copy, so much so, it went in for repair. Once repaired though, these lenses are capable of very smooth, easy focusing mechanisms. I wonder if the lubricant Tamron originally used just didn't age well? Whatever the case, the copies I have kept have pretty smooth focusing though they are nothing compared to the 360B.

The 360B almost whispers as you manipulate focus with a single finger. It's heavenly. I photographed a storytelling event and I was off to the sides of the stage as well as behind the crowd in a relatively intimate space. I had the 300/2.8 on a monopod mounted to a Fujifilm X-T2 and the metabones speed booster. I love the results. Between the 60B and 360B, I haven't done any detailed comparisons as they may even be the same optical formula with a cosmetic upgrade. Someone here may better know this. But Tamron's 300/2.8s have been stellar for me (especially given the cost as others mentioned). I picked up each of these 300s for sub $500, often with teleconverters, 112mm filters, 43mm filters, etc. Another accessory you might find useful if handholding is the palm grip that Tamron sold with these. Mounts to the tripod socket but gives you a little hand grip.

For a Tamron lover, that is indeed a marvelous set of lenses and those pictures, well....

Thanks for showing them.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, justtorchit, what a collection! Tell me, how does that black 300/2.8 compare with the 60B. I'm curious if there were any optical updates, or if they were just cosmetic.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Wow, justtorchit, what a collection! Tell me, how does that black 300/2.8 compare with the 60B. I'm curious if there were any optical updates, or if they were just cosmetic.

Michael (and I should probably note somewhere in my profile, feel free to call me David!) that's the thing. I have no idea if the 360B is optically any different than the 60B but cosmetically/mechanically, it definitely feels like an upgrade. Specifically, the focusing is worlds smoother. I used to own the Sigma 120-300/2.8 Sports lens. And while that was a phenomenal optic, I ultimately sold it because I didn't really use it enough, the AF wasn't super critical for my work, and I found the 360B to be completely adequate for my needs. I really dig what I get out of this lens. I got it relatively soon (because the deal arose) after getting the 60B so I fear I haven't even used the 60B to the extent that I have the newer version.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You make me want a 360B. Far as that goes, Tamron made an AF version of the 360B (more or less) and I'd really be interested in one of them.

But I'm also like you. I don't use my 60B enough where I can really justify the upgrade -- although I would very much like to. Subjects here don't ordinarily warrant it. Ordinarily.

You make me really curious about handling one though. I've always liked the way mine handles. So the 360B must be pretty special.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
You make me want a 360B. Far as that goes, Tamron made an AF version of the 360B (more or less) and I'd really be interested in one of them.

But I'm also like you. I don't use my 60B enough where I can really justify the upgrade -- although I would very much like to. Subjects here don't ordinarily warrant it. Ordinarily.

You make me really curious about handling one though. I've always liked the way mine handles. So the 360B must be pretty special.

Not to derail the topic here, but I think I recall the Tamron AF 300/2.8 being designated the 360E, and being, at least cosmetically unique for each model compatible with a different brand (not sure about optically). The Nikon version was called the 360EN and I believe there are some AF compatibility issues with more modern DSLR's. There was some modification that could be done by Tamron in the past that would fix this issue, but unmodified versions won't work well with modern DSLRs. At least this was the case with the Nikon mount versions I believe. I've not had personal experience with the AF versions of this lens though.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a review for a 60EP on pentax forums.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/tamron-sp-af-300mm-f28-ld-if-60ep.html

The comments suggesting this is an AF version of the 60B, and speculating about a connection to the Pentax FA* 300mm f2.8, are mine. There is also a link to the 360Ex user manual.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
There is a review for a 60EP on pentax forums.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/tamron-sp-af-300mm-f28-ld-if-60ep.html

The comments suggesting this is an AF version of the 60B, and speculating about a connection to the Pentax FA* 300mm f2.8, are mine. There is also a link to the 360Ex user manual.

"Lens composition: 7 groups 10 sheets". "Sheets? The first time I have seen this for elements.

They don't mention the front filter size, which I assume is 112mm.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:

"Lens composition: 7 groups 10 sheets". "Sheets? The first time I have seen this for elements.

That's just google translate from Japanese.
We can assume 112mm filter I think, like the 60B. There is also an archive page for the 360E.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justtorchit wrote:
Not to derail the topic here, but I think I recall the Tamron AF 300/2.8 being designated the 360E, and being, at least cosmetically unique for each model compatible with a different brand (not sure about optically). The Nikon version was called the 360EN and I believe there are some AF compatibility issues with more modern DSLR's. There was some modification that could be done by Tamron in the past that would fix this issue, but unmodified versions won't work well with modern DSLRs. At least this was the case with the Nikon mount versions I believe. I've not had personal experience with the AF versions of this lens though.

I suspect this issue is more-or-less restricted to Nikon system because of Nikon continuing to tweak its "never to be changed" F mount. With Canon EOS, on the other hand, I can successfully use a first generation EF 70-210/4 (made in 1987 or thereabouts) on my EOS DSLR with no issues. I'm thinking this is also probably the case with Minolta/Sony, but not so sure about Pentax because I don't know of what sort of changes Pentax has made to their mount or lenses in more recent years. But since Marcus notes a review of the AF version over at the Pentax Forums, I guess it works okay with Pentax digitals also.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justtorchit wrote:
I have the several of Tamron's adaptall 300/2.8 lenses: the 107B, 60B, and 360B. Optically I'm impressed with all of them. Functionally, I use the 360B most and actually quite often. I have owned a few copies of the 400/4 as well (and still have 1) and I have experiences the stiff focusing ring. One copy, so much so, it went in for repair. Once repaired though, these lenses are capable of very smooth, easy focusing mechanisms. I wonder if the lubricant Tamron originally used just didn't age well? Whatever the case, the copies I have kept have pretty smooth focusing though they are nothing compared to the 360B.

The 360B almost whispers as you manipulate focus with a single finger. It's heavenly. I photographed a storytelling event and I was off to the sides of the stage as well as behind the crowd in a relatively intimate space. I had the 300/2.8 on a monopod mounted to a Fujifilm X-T2 and the metabones speed booster. I love the results. Between the 60B and 360B, I haven't done any detailed comparisons as they may even be the same optical formula with a cosmetic upgrade. Someone here may better know this. But Tamron's 300/2.8s have been stellar for me (especially given the cost as others mentioned). I picked up each of these 300s for sub $500, often with teleconverters, 112mm filters, 43mm filters, etc. Another accessory you might find useful if handholding is the palm grip that Tamron sold with these. Mounts to the tripod socket but gives you a little hand grip.

Friends

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justtorchit wrote:

My copy of the 60B came with everything except the palm grip, which I cannot find anywhere. Also, did you send yours back to Tamron to get it worked on?

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oheuston wrote:

My copy of the 60B came with everything except the palm grip, which I cannot find anywhere. Also, did you send yours back to Tamron to get it worked on?

No I actually had KEH do the repair. This was maybe 7-8 years ago now. They did a lovely job and it wasn't too expensive. And yeah the palm grips are rather rare to find on their own. I just keep my eyes on the bay and sometimes the used outlets like Adorama or KEH, who will sometimes have these things as misc items.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have three of those palm grips. They're useful on way more than the 60B and I always have one on my macro rig:

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justtorchit wrote:
oheuston wrote:

No I actually had KEH do the repair. This was maybe 7-8 years ago now. They did a lovely job and it wasn't too expensive. And yeah the palm grips are rather rare to find on their own. I just keep my eyes on the bay and sometimes the used outlets like Adorama or KEH, who will sometimes have these things as misc items.

Good to know, I had KEH clean my Nikon D300 senor several years ago. I will keep looking on Ebay for it. I just have to deal with my wife being unhappy with this and my vintage audio "problem", she says I have a museum: )

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Deep wrote:
I have three of those palm grips. They're useful on way more than the 60B and I always have one on my macro rig:

Good idea, I will have to see if I can find at least one.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks easy enough to make a palm grip, a nice little woodwork project maybe.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, there's an idea. A nice piece of walnut, maybe. Walnut's easy to work for a hardwood and looks lovely.

As I briefly mentioned earlier, my 60B came without the grip, so this might just make an interesting project. I owned a 60B years ago and never used the grip back then, but maybe a bit of a redesign -- a larger grip that will fit more of the palm -- may change my attitude toward it.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:

Maybe a 3D printer project? I am not an artisan\woodworking guy, just an IT guy: ) I can work on tech stuff, but when it comes to woodworking, that is outside my wheelhouse.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Now, there's an idea. A nice piece of walnut, maybe. Walnut's easy to work for a hardwood and looks lovely.

As I briefly mentioned earlier, my 60B came without the grip, so this might just make an interesting project. I owned a 60B years ago and never used the grip back then, but maybe a bit of a redesign -- a larger grip that will fit more of the palm -- may change my attitude toward it.

If only I were that handy: )

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

oooo this is lovely idea!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive piece of equipment and some great pics!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oheuston wrote:
luisalegria wrote:

Maybe a 3D printer project? I am not an artisan\woodworking guy, just an IT guy: ) I can work on tech stuff, but when it comes to woodworking, that is outside my wheelhouse.

I enjoy woodworking, but unfortunately lost my shop when we moved to our new house. Something like a handgrip would be a piece of cake, for me, if only I had a few shop tools -- like a vise, for example. But I think your idea is an equally good one. Maybe you could actually model the grip you want with modeling clay, then do whatever it is you have to do to get the 3D info into your machine. That shouldn't be any harder than falling off a log for you, I'll wager.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm well set up to knock out short plates from alu stock if anyone needs one. Acts as balancer on a tripod, palm rest/grip, keeps the focus ring off a bean bag.

Some more with my 60B + 014F tc on my pentax K5. Off to try with my just acquired K3-ii tomorrow!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple few-tools option -

Buy a pre-turned piece of wood, like a wooden doorknob maybe. Electric drill. Piece of 1/4" -20 screw bolt of suitable length. Cutoff wheel for drill. Epoxy.

Drill hole in base of doorknob suitable for the bolt , cut bolt head off and trim to suitable length. Glue into drilled hole. Hand-finish wood as you like, sand it if necessary, paint or stain or oil finish as it suits you. If you want to get fancy you could add a washer, for a bearing surface, around the screw.

There are plenty of pre-made wooden bits around that can also be used, if some other shape seems better.

A vice and rasps/files are good for making custom shapes