Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Any portrait zoom lens that is fast
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Any portrait zoom lens that is fast Reply with quote

Hi,
since my nex camera does not give me any zoom lens for portraits.. so equivalents from 75-150mm that is fast I am looking on old manual focus lenses. What do we have in the artillery? Is there something like that?

Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is your mount?
this is something I watched for a while (but I'm sort of a Tokina-buff)

Click here to see on Ebay.de

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

e mount, sony...
The only relevant lens is either a 1870 Zeiss with f/4
or a 18105/4... so perhaps I can use the 70-105 at /4 to get background separation but I am not sure it would be enough for "dreamy" portraits.

Your suggestion looks very nice.. but I do not know about the quality of this lens. I would try to google to see if I can find any reviews.
I guess on this lens once you focus at your subject, you can change focal length without needing to refocus constantly. Is not that right?

Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manual lens: Tokina 60-120 F2.8 or Tamron 70-150 F2.8.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very good suggestion. I will have look on reviews.
I guess that once I focus on my subject then I can just zoom in and fine tune the focus.
Right?
Alex

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also Tamron or Tokina 80-200 F/2.8 (Tokina was already mentioned above).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cheaper option would be to buy any Vivitar (Tokina) / Soligor 3 rings zoom (3rd for macro or close-up), something like this: http://forum.mflenses.com/vivitar-35-105-3-5-pic-thread-t68691.html
Using MACRO ring plus focusing ring set to infinity you can partially simulate thinner DOF if that is your goal. This one will also do the trick:
http://forum.mflenses.com/vivitar-70-150mm-f3-8-macro-focusing-t58000.html

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex H wrote:
Also Tamron or Tokina 80-200 F/2.8 (Tokina was already mentioned above).

That's a good lens, not too expensive either.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
The cheaper option would be to buy any Vivitar (Tokina) / Soligor 3 rings zoom (3rd for macro or close-up), something like this: http://forum.mflenses.com/vivitar-35-105-3-5-pic-thread-t68691.html
Using MACRO ring plus focusing ring set to infinity you can partially simulate thinner DOF if that is your goal. This one will also do the trick:
http://forum.mflenses.com/vivitar-70-150mm-f3-8-macro-focusing-t58000.html

This is a good suggestion.
The Vivitar 70-150 is a f/3.8 lens and is a Kiron/Kino made optic, and very good.
Of course Kiron marketed their own 28-105 zoom which was f/3.2-4.5 - another very good lens.
Probably the best of the Vivitars is the 28-90 f/2.8-3.5 by Komine
Plenty of choices available to you
OH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Tokina 80-200/2.8 (Minolta AF) and it sucks big times.

It has very strong axial chromatic aberrations, which won't go away, no matter how strong you close the aperture. Also it has low contrast, photos taken in clear sky sunny day, look like taken in rainy, overcast day. Sharpness is also so so. Why I throw away $400 into it, still remains mystery for me Smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

creamy bokeh you get with the Nikkor 3.5 50 - 135mm (i do not posses this lens)
i use the E series 3.5 70 - 150mm, which is not bad either,
but for a NEX crop i think starting at 50mm is long enough

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

56 DIN wrote:
creamy bokeh you get with the Nikkor 3.5 50 - 135mm (i do not posses this lens)
i use the E series 3.5 70 - 150mm, which is not bad either,
but for a NEX crop i think starting at 50mm is long enough

I agree. With the cropped sensor on my Fuji XE-1, I use my Helios 44 (58mm f. 2) for portrait work and it is very capable. Alternately, I use my Meyer Gorlitz Oreston 50/1.8. Neither were expensive. There are so many economical choices of 50-58mm manual lenses with f. 2 or less to choose from

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys.
Back. Today I got my Tokina 60-120 F2.8 .. I had to pay 25% of the bought value to customs Sad
I am a new ebay user and I think I could not imagine how much more I would need to pay..

Anyway...surprise #2 the lens came broken with all the aperture glades ringing... Most probably I will get all my money back from ebay protection but... I have lost the 40+ euros I gave today for the customs... grrr.. since no one is going to pay this money back to me.

The lens looked great but I do not like much the barrell zoom .. More ideas?
I will have a look for reviews on the
Nikkor 3.5 50 - 135mm

Regards
A

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget all zooms for portraits include Tokina, they are not good enough for quality portraits. I have many of them I did try almost all for portraits, primes will be better always.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Forget all zooms for portraits include Tokina, they are not good enough for quality portraits. I have many of them I did try almost all for portraits, primes will be better always.

yes i agree ..a zoom is only handy for candid shots, but if you are doing set portraits then you can make full use of a prime.. 50mm is a good length which is equivalent to 75mm ,many good 50s out their some very cheap most are optically good .. i use a canon FDn 50mm F1.4

the photos below are from the canon 50 f1.4..the top 1 is demonstrating the very thin depth of field you get at F1.4.. remember zooms start at f2.8 my sons left eye is in sharp focus his right is completely out and the tip of his nose is also just out
The next photo if my memory serves me right is at F2 the background is approx 6 or 7 feet behind him

Crop

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback.
What is wrong with zoom lenses and portraiture work?
I am starting next month my first studio work that would also include some outdoor work (you can think of it like a student studying).
I am a nex alpha sony user and there is no fast lens for the focal lengths of 75-150mm that typically we use for portrait shoots. I am thinking then to look on manual focus lenses for this type of work.

What is your take?
Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on the prime lenses. IMHO typical focal lengths for portrait work on full-frame are 85, 100 and 135 mm.

On APS-C you can choose from many f/1.4 lenses in the range from 50 to 58mm, close to 85mm in FF terms and fast!

Even 135mm lenses work great on APS-C. The following picture was taken on NEX3 with Meyer Primotar at f/5.6:

Meyer Primotar 3.5/135 by René Maly, on Flickr

Rikenon 1.4/55 at f/2.0 on NEX3:

Low-light tests with Starlit Nights by René Maly, on Flickr

Meyer 2.8/100 wide open on NEX3:

Meyer 2.8/100 testshots f/2.8 by René Maly, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember Alex, if you buy Minolta fit you can use it on your x700 too. Primes are generally sharper and have wider apertures. A prime can have as much as two stops extra over a zoom. Important when doing a portrait as it gives shallower DOF. My sigma 80-300 is great but you almost need walkie-talkies to communicate with the model.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alaios wrote:
Thanks for the feedback.
What is wrong with zoom lenses and portraiture work?
I am starting next month my first studio work that would also include some outdoor work (you can think of it like a student studying).
I am a nex alpha sony user and there is no fast lens for the focal lengths of 75-150mm that typically we use for portrait shoots. I am thinking then to look on manual focus lenses for this type of work.

What is your take?
Regards
Alex

nothing wrong with zooms for portraiture work but to get a fast and sharp zoom you have to pay big bucks ..zooms have only come in to thier own since well in to the AF era.. ....the canon 70-200 F2.8 IS mk11 will be splendid if you have £1800/ 2800 USD and a FF canon to stick it on
and like i say before the fastest zooms are only F2.8 so if you want that wafer thin depth of field you ant going to get it with any zoom..also the out of focus bits or bokeh is often not as nice
if i was to recommend a zoom going on i have used/got i will say the Minolta 35-70 f3.5 its constant f3.5 ..but i have paid £10 or les for many 50mm primes that will beat it

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
+1 on the prime lenses. IMHO typical focal lengths for portrait work on full-frame are 85, 100 and 135 mm.

On APS-C you can choose from many f/1.4 lenses in the range from 50 to 58mm, close to 85mm in FF terms and fast!

Even 135mm lenses work great on APS-C. The following picture was taken on NEX3 with Meyer Primotar at f/5.6:

Meyer Primotar 3.5/135 by René Maly, on Flickr

Rikenon 1.4/55 at f/2.0 on NEX3:

Low-light tests with Starlit Nights by René Maly, on Flickr

Meyer 2.8/100 wide open on NEX3:

Meyer 2.8/100 testshots f/2.8 by René Maly, on Flickr

love the top one