Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 35-105 3.5 pic thread
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Vivitar 35-105 3.5 pic thread Reply with quote

A new lens. I'm trying it out with film since it's in SR mount. I think it's the same as Tokina and Soligor 35-105.

The Vivitar seems to have an advantage over the Soligor with the macro mode, macro across the whole zoom range while the Soligor only has it at 35mm.

If anyone wants to share samples from any of the variants of this lens feel free to do it!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my Hoya variant of this lens which I bought recently but haven't had a chance to try yet:-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a good looking lens, and a useful range. If it's good, it could be very good.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
that's a good looking lens, and a useful range. If it's good, it could be very good.

It's also heavy, weighing in at 811 grams!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I didn't know about the Hoya, perhaps there are even more versions out there.

Here is a macro shot with the Soligor at 35mm.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is Tokina of course. I think this fat variant exists both as RMC or non RMC. It was expensive to produce. Later version is slim.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious. Is there a similarity with the Auto Revuenon 35-100mm 3.5-4.5 Multi Coated? It has the macro possibility also. Regards, Cliff.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite an interesting lens.
Very much like the Sun zooms of the time.
I think I want one !

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice outfit you have. IF I owned your excellent set of lenses and IF I didn't need to generate some cash then I'd keep the lot UNLESS I could see any real quality advantage between any of the pairs you set out. When I say 'quality I include how well they handle. Looking at image quality, often the deciding factor in chosing one lens over another is highly subjective - sharpness, contrast, colour rendering and so on make up a mix that only you can decide upon. It's really your judgement that counts, not my (or anyone else's) opinion Wink Take the easy way, hang on to them all - !

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dnf_spedition wrote:
Just curious. Is there a similarity with the Auto Revuenon 35-100mm 3.5-4.5 Multi Coated? It has the macro possibility also. Regards, Cliff.

Nope. That would be Cima Kogaku CIMKO made. It is similar looking indeed though Tokina even bigger and heavier.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems to be a very good lens indeed.
Interestingly, as a two ring Vivitar it seems to appear in most mounts - the most common available at present looks like it might be Canon FD. Perhaps the other mounts are more useful and are not on the market so much.
Very hard to find a two ring Vivitar for Nikon mount - these Vivitars seem to be one-touch Kobori zooms.
Which is odd as Tokina itself certainly sold in a Nikon mount
I could be wrong here of course ..........
OH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a performance note, I've noticed that the lens suffers from heavy pincushion distortion at 105mm. Clearly visible in the viewfinder. But that just adds to the vintage look Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
On a performance note, I've noticed that the lens suffers from heavy pincushion distortion at 105mm. Clearly visible in the viewfinder. But that just adds to the vintage look Very Happy

Thick and heavy glass designs tend to contribute to some kind of special results.

I was lucky to get M42 model but didn't use it yet. Reading this thread i build motivation to give it a go.
I already clean it inside. As with most traditional zooms layers of dust or condensation haze are inherent.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
blotafton wrote:

Thick and heavy glass designs tend to contribute to some kind of special results.

I was lucky to get M42 model but didn't use it yet. Reading this thread i build motivation to give it a go.
I already clean it inside. As with most traditional zooms layers of dust or condensation haze are inherent.

Just in case... Here is some more motivation!

105mm with the Soligor and OM-2n camera. Massive flare.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting and really nice shots. I thought I had this same lens, but when I went to look at it I have a Viv 35-105 3.2-4 made by Kobori.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenetik wrote:
Interesting and really nice shots. I thought I had this same lens, but when I went to look at it I have a Viv 35-105 3.2-4 made by Kobori.

How does it perform?
I have the Kobori Vivitar 28-200 and it is a very good lens.
Also, I wonder did Vivitar market a 28-105?
Kiron certainly made one and it is very good as well.
Perhaps the Vivitar 28-90 (exceptional lens) filled the bill.
Interesting
OH

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used it OH, so I don't know how it performs. It is also a big heavy lens. There was a Series 1 28-105mm 2.8/3.8, made by Cosina. Don't have that one.

EDIT: I had said this was a heavy lens, I dug it out. The 3.2-4 is pretty compact. I will take it out and get some samples for another thread.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here the Kobori version: http://forum.mflenses.com/vivitar-28-105mm-f-2-8-3-8-series-1-t17472.html

And there was a KIRON 28-105 which wasn't sold under Vivitar brand:

Both are good lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thank you. I didn't realize under the Series 1 moniker there was a Kobori 3.5-4.5 and a Cosina 2.8-3.8.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same lens (3.5/35-105) was marketed as a "PORST" here in Germany.
I still have one with PK-mount and would sell it. Anybody interested?

€25,- plus shipping and it's yours!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenetik wrote:
Ah, thank you. I didn't realize under the Series 1 moniker there was a Kobori 3.5-4.5 and a Cosina 2.8-3.8.

Some of the later Series 1 lenses were definitely made by Cosina for sure - the Series 1 24-70 is an example.
I did not know about Kobori as a Series 1 maker - maybe it was the alternate, ie the vanilla version, while Cosina had the S1 ............
OH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tokina RMC 35-105 sold as Rollei QBM (beautiful photos in the listing): Click here to see on Ebay.de