Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Anniversary Carl Zeiss Lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:18 am    Post subject: Anniversary Carl Zeiss Lenses Reply with quote

So, on the good advice of all you fine gentlemen I have now (at last) acquired a 5D ($1225) with which I can digitally enjoy the use of my Zeiss-Contax lenses.
Ebay was fun enough that I also picked up a couple of Yashica lenses; 2.8/28 and 28-85 ML Zoom, and have bids out on other Zeiss-Contax's.

Imagine my amazement - then - when at a garage sale today I came across a big collection of 50th Jahrzeit lenses, on offer for just a hundred bucks!

Just kidding.

But what is the story with these lenses perpetually on 'buy now' offer? Does anyone actually take them out of the box between the auctions and take a photo with them ?? Have we seen examples of their bokeh and focal length qualities?
Or is it just too extravagant to risk a wear mark on the bayonet fitting, and subsequently these lenses are only displayed, auctioned, or locked in a collector's safe...
Has anyone got a Jahrzeit lens of any kind with any sign of use on it?

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on the 5D and what an excellent price on it!

As for the Zeiss Anniversary lenses:
you have to keep in mind that before entering the used market, those lenses entered the new regular market. At really prohibitive prices - I mean, they still are prohibitive even used!
This means that very few people bought them when new - and usually the people who buy this kind of most expensive lenses is the people of wealthy collectors, not the people of busy photographers.
This explains I think why these lenses MAY be in better condition than more popular lenses (I say "may" because I never saw any of them in real life, I only rely on your description).

From my amateur photographer point of view, it's a pity that these lenses are so few and so pricey, because they really have outstanding optical features. In other words, they are not only special because of the Anniversary label, they're special because they are really better than the regular Contax production.

On the other hand, it's also obvious that the fact that they are optically better accounts for their higher price.

One difference between Zeiss and Leica: Zeiss made Anniversary edition lenses that are optically better (MTFs prove it) and so this made sense on the perspective of the buyer (the buyer who could afford...) to spend more money for these exceptional pieces - it wasn't a rip-off.
On the contrary, what Leica did is, they labeled a bunch of regular production R and M lenses as "Safari", made them green instead of black, and charged more for them, even if they sported the very same optics as the regular lenses. This was a rip-off in my opinion, not really respectful of the buyers.

-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, you are a most generous font of expert knowledge here and when I wonder about what some particular lens is good for, then your remarks and reviews have recently been a mainstay for me - thank you very much for having posted all this good info!

... after writing my little sarcastic post questioning if Jahrzeit lenses are ever used, I saw in the 'favorite portrait lens' thread that Pirius was in fact using his 1.2/85 !

So that makes at least one, and there are some photos from it !

Maybe we should have a campaign, to encourage other 50-ziger Jahrzeit owners to take their lenses out of safe deposit and shoot more baby pictures; to get some dings and scatches on the barrels (heaven forbid on the glass!) so that we can begin to see them auctioned in the not too distant future.
I really do want one or two 1.2 lenses, but goddamn it, they have to have a spec of dust on them or be missing the box and end cap at least.

Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contra wrote:
Imagine my amazement - then - when at a garage sale today I came across a big collection of 50th Jahrzeit lenses, on offer for just a hundred bucks!

Mr. Green
Contra wrote:
Maybe we should have a campaign, to encourage other 50-ziger Jahrzeit owners to take their lenses out of safe deposit and shoot more baby pictures; to get some dings and scatches on the barrels (heaven forbid on the glass!) so that we can begin to see them auctioned in the not too distant future

Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contra wrote:

Maybe we should have a campaign, to encourage other 50-ziger Jahrzeit owners to take their lenses out of safe deposit and shoot more baby pictures; to get some dings and scatches on the barrels (heaven forbid on the glass!) so that we can begin to see them auctioned in the not too distant future.
I really do want one or two 1.2 lenses, but goddamn it, they have to have a spec of dust on them or be missing the box and end cap at least.
Very Happy

Sounds like a plan, we only need to find some customers willing to sacrifice their lenses Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MFL member Carlsson has one is use ...

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/mfl_club_members/carlsson/planar_85/

Interesting bokeh: http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/mfl_club_members/carlsson/planar_85/5D_MG_7413.jpg.html