Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

An inexpensive birding combo.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
Big Dawg wrote:
luisalegria wrote:
Extremely well done with that equipment. Hitting focus with 800mm, that close, is an achievement by itself. On moving birds, its even better.

800mm handheld is too much for me.

Thanks. The fact that the TC took out any focus confirmation made it very difficult.

Just curious. I shoot film only. But if you used an Auto TC, you would get focus confirm. wouldn't you?

No the focus confirmation will be there even on the very old early 60's preset lens. The auto TC's have no effect. More a matter of the distant subject not having enough illumination to get a focus lock. In very bright sunlight there is a focus confirmation...but the dang birds won't sit in the sun!!! LOL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: An inexpensive birding combo. Reply with quote

[quote="komet"]
Big Dawg wrote:
The Vivitar 400mm f/6.3 T4 lens and a 2X screw mount TC. They won't make me retire my Sigma 50-500 lens but they do a nice job for less than 50-75 dollars according to how you acquire them.

No crops here and very very little PP involved. Distances from 30-70 feet. Hand held.

Hello, not convincing examples!
M

In what way? It ain't a Zeiss Sonar but for the money it ain't bad either. More work to be done and maybe I can catch one of the little boogers in the sunlight for a change...They are so quick and do not sit still even for a second. Need 1/250 sec for a good shot and with this combo so dim that is very hard to do.

Here are some shots without the TC........

http://forum.mflenses.com/vivitar-400mm-f-6-3-t4-lens-photo-examples-t33157.html

You'll notice that the resolution and IQ is better but when cropped there is a subsequent loss in IQ...that is to be expected though. You have to ask is it what is acceptable to you and does it help to get the shots you couldn't get with the lenses you have been shooting with. For a lot of folks I would say it would be an improvement over the 200 and 300mm zooms they may be shooting with. I get about a 1 in 8 keeper rate with this lens and a 1 in 3 keeper rate with my Auto focus Sigma 50-500. But I could buy 20 of these lens for what a Bigma costs. So I'd say for the money spent on this lens it delivers more than it would be expected to for the money paid to purchase it. I like it myself as it can be a challenge to make it perform ...where as the Bigma makes it a snap to snap off good shots. Not much challenge there or exercising of the skills either. More of a point and shoot. The challenge of using a manual focus long lens with small aperture causes you to flex and stretch those skills and thus makes the use of the Auto focus high dollar lens that much better and easier. This is a hobby to me so the fun factor has to be there...this lens delivers that fun factor in the range of an 8 out of a possible 10. LOL

Last edited by Big Dawg on Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Depends on where you want to use them. They would not go to "Alabama illustrated book of birds" but if I saw any of those bird on the roof next door I could send these photos to local newspapers.

Last summer I actually saw an extremely rare insect here in my garden but my stupid Sigma 50/2.8 af macro scared it away.

If one of the cardinals were in your yard then I'd say someones pet got away. Here on the other hand they are quite ubiquitous.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Focus confirm Reply with quote

pat donnelly wrote:
Walter G

I am sure Big Dog will reply to you when he gets a chance, but maybe the answer is:

When too much glass is used, the f stop goes beyond f1:8 and thn the electronics cannot cope? A 2x and a f1:4.5 makes f1:9?

It is, as you imply, possible that he had manually stopped down, but the lens is slowish anyway?

True. Beyond f/ 8-f/11 the focus lock is just not there. By using the 2X TC on a f/6.3 lens you push the open f/stop past the comfort zone for the auto focus of the camera. You aren't getting auto focus but it does use the auto focus to give confirmation. With my Bigma 50-500 f/4-f/6.3 I have the same problem when using the 1.4 matched TC with it. In very bright sunlight it will auto focus but in dim light forget it. Iffy at best.

The main reason to post these photos is to show what is possible for little money. In the late 70's I'd have given my right index finger to have owned this combo. Too pricey for me then, but quite cheap these days. Not everyone can afford the best most wizz-bang combination of lens and camera and have to settle for cheaper ( and not as competent) substitutions. This lens is much looked over and looked past as well as dismissed as poor quality. With a TC it gets you to 800mm as cheaply as you are likely to get...but the loss of IQ and the difficulties of getting a quality photo are there. With patience and time I could get better shots. But as I said in the beginning it will not make me put aside my Bigma.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg: You're right about the cost. I had the same set-up, which cost me a total of $25! I just wasn't patient enough to get enough quality out of it -- tripod, mirror up, cable release, etc. Also, I found that pictures in direct sunlight were more problematic with CA than shots taken on overcast days -- but then you had less light and slower shutter speeds!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaeger wrote:
Big Dawg: You're right about the cost. I had the same set-up, which cost me a total of $25! I just wasn't patient enough to get enough quality out of it -- tripod, mirror up, cable release, etc. Also, I found that pictures in direct sunlight were more problematic with CA than shots taken on overcast days -- but then you had less light and slower shutter speeds!

Hello Gaeger

The patience factor is what turns a lot of folks off of this lens and others like it. Especially when shooting film with it. With digital though the keeper factor doesn't come in to play as much as you aren't wasting film on the way to mastering it. I happily shoot off shot after shot as I try different combination's and settings at the rate of several hundred an hour. Digital means free film. I tried it on the tripod but for these quick small birds it just doesn't work as well. Plus when shooting hand held you exercise that skill and hone it down so the shorter lens and faster settings will look even better in the long run.