Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 400mm f/6.3 T4 lens. Photo examples.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject: Vivitar 400mm f/6.3 T4 lens. Photo examples. Reply with quote

I give this lens 6 1/2 Dawg Paws.

Pros are Good focal length for birding and long shots. CA disappears mostly by f/11. Excellent color rendition. Good contrast if light is at at least 90 degrees to the subject. Fine focus movement for fine focus adjustments. Very deep lens shade to help with lens flair. T4 mount so most any camera can use it. Very inexpensive. Mine cost $31.95 US for shipping and all. Weight at 985g is light enough to be hand held. Decent adjustable tripod mount is built in. Tripod mount is spaced well for good balance. Decent IQ if you do not ask it to do what it cannot do.

Cons are CA if light is not at least 90 degrees to the subject and at f/8 or lower when there is high contrast edges. Narrow field of view makes it hard to find the subject. 20 foot minimum focus distance limits it's use. The fine focus movement makes it slow to focus. The long length makes it more unwieldy than shorter lens. Tripod base is a touch too small.

The following photos were shot hand held and very minimum PP done to them. First the originals and their crops.

The original.....60-70 feet distance.

The crop....

The original...30-35 feet distance.

The crop

The advantage of a manual focus lens when shooting birds is the manual lens can be focused on a bird hiding amongst the branches and an auto focus lens will more than likely focus on the branches instead. From 30-35 feet distance then cropped.

Now some general photos...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#13 for me is priceless "who is that over my shoulder!!"
A nice lens I am impressed...I know what you mean by the auto focus focusing in the trees rather than the bird Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bokeh on the cardinal's tail is a little strange, makes me dizzy looking at it. I love that shot of the bird looking over his shoulder like he's saying "What!!! Stop with all the pictures already!" LOL

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks for the kind comments.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice results!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatdeeman wrote:
Very nice results!

Thanks Dave.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good shots of some of my favorite birds: cardinal, Carolina wren and house finch.
Doves are good for eating and nothing else ... Cool

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:
Good shots of some of my favorite birds: cardinal, Carolina wren and house finch.
Doves are good for eating and nothing else ... Cool

They are fun to watch though. I sometimes have as many as 8 doves feeding below the feeders at one time.