Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

An 85mm question
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
It's often been said among the Nikon crowd that their 43-86mm zoom (which was universally regarded as pathetic -- at least the early iterations of it) made a wonderful portrait lens on the long end.

It's pathetic? I didn't know that. Good thing I'm not bidding on the Pre-AI copy that's currently at <US$1 +$9 shipping. Or is it worth that much?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dawg,

maybe these links could be of some interest to you :

Madamasu using Volna-3 : http://forum.mflenses.com/volna-3-and-nikon-d700-t17656.html

some of miines with Volna-3 :
http://forum.mflenses.com/volna-3-bouquet-t27622,highlight,%2Bvolna.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/volna-3-2-8-80mm-p6-t21793,highlight,%2Bvolna.html

Flek 4/50 / Volna-3 / Samyang 1.5/85 :
http://forum.mflenses.com/flower-with-flek-4-50-volna-3-2-8-80-and-samyang-1-4-85-t33111,highlight,%2Bvolna.html

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RioRico wrote:
cooltouch wrote:
It's often been said among the Nikon crowd that their 43-86mm zoom (which was universally regarded as pathetic -- at least the early iterations of it) made a wonderful portrait lens on the long end.

It's pathetic? I didn't know that. Good thing I'm not bidding on the Pre-AI copy that's currently at <US$1 +$9 shipping. Or is it worth that much?

I've never owned one. I'm just going by many comments about it I've heard over the years. And yeah, if you were to win the bid on that lens you may find that pre-AI 43-86 to be on the soft side.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:

All of those in your test are pretty much the same. Much the same results with my 50mm lenses. At full open the background is totally gone or almost so. I would like one that gives some softness of the subject but more background detail. A more blended look. I'm also thinking of maybe a 50mm f/4 lens such as the Flektagon 50 f/4 or a Tessar 50-55 f/4 or so. I expect a Pentacon 50 some day soon and maybe I will like it better.

OK. Thanks for the input. I will put it in my test list.

By the way below is another sample where the distance between camera-object (about 3-4 meters) and between object-background is more or less the same, so we could see more background detail.
I only pick 3 lenses with has different rendering.
Fyi, these are cropped images.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks nixland for the sample.
I like the first Pic, may I know which lens was used? .
And If I see all of your 85mm lenses, it must be easy to buy manual focus lenses in your country, isn't it?.
Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

convert1 wrote:
And If I see all of your 85mm lenses, it must be easy to buy manual focus lenses in your country, isn't it?.
Cheers

After seeing all those lenses, I decided it was more a case of having an unlimited budget, rather than any geographical location.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
RioRico wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

I've never owned one. I'm just going by many comments about it I've heard over the years. And yeah, if you were to win the bid on that lens you may find that pre-AI 43-86 to be on the soft side.

I was outbid (at US$1.05) so I'll never know...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Rico.

Don't you have some projector lenses that make good portrait lenses? Often they are Petzval types and I like those for portraits as they are only sharp in the centre and the edges are a swirl of creamy bokeh, dof is tiny too so you can get the eyes in focus and the rest has a lovely smooth oof quality.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixland wrote:
Big Dawg wrote:

All of those in your test are pretty much the same. Much the same results with my 50mm lenses. At full open the background is totally gone or almost so. I would like one that gives some softness of the subject but more background detail. A more blended look. I'm also thinking of maybe a 50mm f/4 lens such as the Flektagon 50 f/4 or a Tessar 50-55 f/4 or so. I expect a Pentacon 50 some day soon and maybe I will like it better.

OK. Thanks for the input. I will put it in my test list.

By the way below is another sample where the distance between camera-object (about 3-4 meters) and between object-background is more or less the same, so we could see more background detail.
I only pick 3 lenses with has different rendering.
Fyi, these are cropped images.

I like that first one of these. Which lens is it?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Don't you have some projector lenses that make good portrait lenses? Often they are Petzval types and I like those for portraits as they are only sharp in the centre and the edges are a swirl of creamy bokeh, dof is tiny too so you can get the eyes in focus and the rest has a lovely smooth oof quality.

I guess my PL's are just too good! I haven't seen that effect. But I haven't yet tried them all for portraiture. I have one hulking candidate, labeled 3.0 INCH F/1.6 PROJECTION LENS - Projection Optics Co. Rochester, N.Y. U.S.A. - Lens Projection PH-671/PEP-1 (and stock and code numbers). But like my Rodenstock XR-Heligon 120/1.8, its register is too short for my Pentax; I probably can't use those till I get a NEX. I also have some 16mm-cine PL's that must wait.

My other PL's are just too clean! Kodak 53/3.5 and 65/3.5 Anastigmats; Schneider PC-Cinelux AV 60/2.8 (yup, perspective control!); Kodak Ektanar and Ektagraphic 100-150/3.5's; GoldE and TDC VIVID 127/3.5 Anastigmats; those don't show it, they're sharp all over. I recently got a FAX-KOWA 137/4.5 that I haven't tried yet. And I may get a 4.5-inch Ross soon. We shall see...